By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia hasn't changed

Kasz216 said:
mai said:

^You tell me what the point of the argument :D

Mine "maybe" is to solely point to the fact it depends on state's authorities, hence the legal term breach of the peace, which is the closest analogy of hooliganism (again as a legal term) I could think of. Yeah, sometimes it got categorized as a crime.

//Though not a perfect analogy, "hooliganism of a lesser degree" would be a better anaolgy. Isn't considered a crime here, misdemeanor it is, regulated by Administrative Code (fines + up to 15 days in custody).

Did you read what breach of the peace meant in the USA?

I'm guessing you meant maybe distrubing the peace?

So... your arguement is, maybe Pussy Riot members would of gotten like a $50 fine for doing the same thing... if they happened to be in one of a few unlucky states?

Since they got 2 years i still really don't see your point.

The sentence was ridiculiously overblown, and they shouldn't of had to pay more then a paltry fine to begin with, let alone be kept in jail for so long before the trial.

2 years in jail was a bit harsh, but at least they didn't get 7! But i agree, had it been in say America or western Europe, it probably would of been a big fine and that's it. That's probably why the case got such international scrutiny because people fear that Putin is cracking down on the opposition in any way, even though Putin didn't want them to have the maximum sentence

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network

Kasz216 said:

So... your arguement is, maybe Pussy Riot members would of gotten like a $50 fine for doing the same thing... if they happened to be in one of a few unlucky states?

The sentence was ridiculiously overblown, and they shouldn't of had to pay more then a paltry fine to begin with, let alone be kept in jail for so long before the trial.

Oh boy, this demagogy has no end.

Let me remind your point. You said it could have never happened in the US because bla-bla-blah. I said it could have happened in the US because... and gave you examples when US legal system went out of line - 1 to 3 years for swastika in synagogue is outrageous. That was your point, you weren't trying to be legally correct here, it's afterwards when you've started saying it's vandalism, i.e. doesn't count.

Though I understand that crimes agains smbd property is a sacred cow of American legal system :D but the fact it's vandalism, which cost you like 15 bucks to buy a paint thinner to wipe it off, doesn't make it a severe crime. Does it help if the girls would have destroyed candlestick during the perfromance? Would that be ok for 2 years ? My understanding is why swastika guys are getting these kind of verdicts is because they comitted a hate crime, though the same applies to the girls, otherwise instead of 213.2 in CC they would have got 20.1 in AC (both hooliganism), which is breach of the peace = disturbance of the peace = disorderly behavior etc. If you google it, people are geting up to 1 year for this, while here it costs you 15 days tops. Read the damn verdict, it has it all (42 pages not counting numerous expertises, enjoy :D).

mai said:

Kasz216 said:

Oh boy, this demagogy has no end.

Let me remind your point. You said it could have never happened in the US because bla-bla-blah. I said it could have happened in the US because... and gave you examples when US legal system went out of line - 1 to 3 years for swastika in synagogue is outrageous. That was your point, you weren't trying to be legally correct here, it's afterwards when you've started saying it's vandalism, i.e. doesn't count.

Though I understand that crimes agains smbd property is a sacred cow of American legal system :D but the fact it's vandalism, which cost you like 15 bucks to buy a paint thinner to wipe it off, doesn't make it a severe crime. Does it help if the girls would have destroyed candlestick during the perfromance? Would that be ok for 2 years ? My understanding is why swastika guys are getting these kind of verdicts is because they comitted a hate crime, though the same applies to the girls, otherwise instead of 213.2 in CC they would have got 20.1 in AC (both hooliganism), which is breach of the peace = disturbance of the peace = disorderly behavior etc. If you google it, people are geting up to 1 year for this, while here it costs you 15 days tops. Read the damn verdict, it has it all (42 pages not counting numerous expertises, enjoy :D).

Would, if I could read russian.

Either way, for about... the 15th time.   That guy did not get 1 to 3 years for a swastika in a synogogue. 

Only one person got 1 year in jail for hate crime style vandalism on your google page, and that guy hit MANY synogogues... and WANTED to go to jail.

And no... they didn't commit a Hate Crime... that's just silly.   They said a few things that were mildly blaspehmous.  That's like saying that Swedish Cartoonist who drew Mohammad was commiting a hate crime.