By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Who is still playing Civilization 5?

I only just picked it up. I like it. My first Civ was Civ IV, but I didn't really get into it and only played it for a few hours. I enjoyed the Civilization Revolutions demo a lot more than what I played of IV, but I never got around to buying the game, so V is my first substantial experience with the Civ universe.

I've been playing a lot of that and Shogun 2 over the past two weeks, so I can't help but compare the two. On the whole, I prefer Total War's gameplay more, because I feel like you don't have to micro-manage your provinces in TW as much as you have to micro-manage your cities via your workers and whatnot in Civ.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
I've never been good at this game, I just play the series for the fun of it (like it should be). I'm not a noob per say, but an amateur really. So do anyone have any tips how to play the 5th edition?? I've looked for strategy guides but haven't found any... Just simple guide lines will do just fine :D

Have you ever been to Civfanatics? You'll find everything you need there.

Kasz216 said:
sethnintendo said:
twesterm said:
I play it pretty often (usually during lunch). I'm not good at it by any means but still at least have fun. I generally like Japan because Bushido seems like it's awesome.

They deal more damage when hurt right or do they deal more damage to hurt units?  I forget which one it was (believe it is the first one) but that is a pretty nice perk.

Well it's sort of the first one.

Bushido makes it so that units ALWAYS fight at full strength.

Normally your units attack power decreases as it's HP do.

Yeah, that's what it does.  In my complete noob Civ5 skills that just sounds too good to be true.  I just assume it's not as awesome as I think it is.

I also like Hiawatha, I love being able to move freely through forests.

makingmusic476 said:

I've been playing a lot of that and Shogun 2 over the past two weeks, so I can't help but compare the two. On the whole, I prefer Total War's gameplay more, because I feel like you don't have to micro-manage your provinces in TW as much as you have to micro-manage your cities via your workers and whatnot in Civ.

Usually I just put my workers on auto.  They usually do a good job at improvements but sometimes you have to manually take over and tell them to build that damn road to your new city that they have been neglecting to do.  Roads are a tricky thing in Civ 5.  It seemed like you could build as many roads/railroads as possible in Civ 3 and it not affect your money.  However, it seems like in Civ 5 you have to just do a limited amount of roads in order that it doesn't bankrupt you.  This is bad considering each unit needs to be on it's own tile so it makes things a little tricky sometimes.

I like the idea of spreading your army out, not stacking 20 armies in one tile. But it's so god damn dumb that there is only room for ONE unit. It would have been a lot more fun if there could be 3 allied troops in one tile, or something like that. They gotta go back and rethink that part...

What I really wanna see is a sort of cross between Civ, Total War and Europa Universalis in one single game!!!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Sirstopp said:
DanneSandin said:
I've never been good at this game, I just play the series for the fun of it (like it should be). I'm not a noob per say, but an amateur really. So do anyone have any tips how to play the 5th edition?? I've looked for strategy guides but haven't found any... Just simple guide lines will do just fine :D

Have you ever been to Civfanatics? You'll find everything you need there.

I just to go there a lot during Civ III and IV - but haven't been there much since I got V. But I didn't really see a noobs guide to playing Civ V... I found a great strategy guide to IV where you would chop woods the first thing you did with your worker - that's the kind of thing I wanna read!! How to play good the first 50 turns or something like that :P

Andrespetmonkey said:
DanneSandin said:
What's lacking in Civ V is scenarios! I remember Civ II - I played the shit out of that WWII scenario!!1

The workshop's got this covered. RED WWII mod is amazing!

What workshops? :S

DanneSandin said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
DanneSandin said:
What's lacking in Civ V is scenarios! I remember Civ II - I played the shit out of that WWII scenario!!1

Steam workshop

Andrespetmonkey said:
DanneSandin said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
DanneSandin said:

Steam workshop

aaa ok :D I'll check 'em out!

sethnintendo said:
makingmusic476 said:

Usually I just put my workers on auto.  They usually do a good job at improvements but sometimes you have to manually take over and tell them to build that damn road to your new city that they have been neglecting to do.  Roads are a tricky thing in Civ 5.  It seemed like you could build as many roads/railroads as possible in Civ 3 and it not affect your money.  However, it seems like in Civ 5 you have to just do a limited amount of roads in order that it doesn't bankrupt you.  This is bad considering each unit needs to be on it's own tile so it makes things a little tricky sometimes.

For some reason it didn't occur to me that I could probably put my workers on auto.  D=

I'll have to give that a try.  But I'm pretty OCD when it comes to this stuff, so I'll probably control them all manually anyway lol.

DanneSandin said:
I like the idea of spreading your army out, not stacking 20 armies in one tile. But it's so god damn dumb that there is only room for ONE unit. It would have been a lot more fun if there could be 3 allied troops in one tile, or something like that. They gotta go back and rethink that part...

What I really wanna see is a sort of cross between Civ, Total War and Europa Universalis in one single game!!!

Yeah, it's unrealistic to have massively large armies on a single tile, but the current method isn't much more realistic. 

They should give each unit type a size parameter (maybe foot soldiers a 1, cavalry a 2, tanks and siege weapons a 2, etc.), and allow X total number of troops per tile (maybe 5 or 8).  Then you could have 2-3 units per tile, as larger battalions, so to speak, with different stacked units changing paramets of the whole group in different ways (archers having higher defense if accompanied by swordsmen, things like that).