By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Nintendo didnt moneyhat Monster Hunter.

Pavolink said:
VicViper said:
Question of the day: If you're Capcom, would you release Monster Hunter Freedom 4th on Vita or 3DS?

If it's a whole different game like many people are saying here, no doubt in my mind right now: 3DS.

Vita. As happened with 3DS and MHTriG, it could help to create a userbase and to grow the sales of the hardware. Also, releasing all the MH in a single console will hurt the brand while releasing in 2 different portables that not the 100% of the consumers have both will prevent the series fatigue.

Maybe it would hurt, maybe not. Release it 2 years after the main game like happened with Tri (2009) and 3rd (2011) and there, it does not look milked at all, especially for a "brand new" game.

What I'm saying is, releasing now is almost guaranteed to get more a lot more sales on 3DS than Vita, most likely not tarnishing the brand whatsoever. Vita is not PSP. Like I said before, even without MH the "struggling" PSP was selling 2 times better than Vita is now (growing). I'm confident Vita will get its monster hunter, but now it'll be through the same way Nintendo got theirs - Sony will have to "influence" Capcom too.

Around the Network

I think it's clear Nintendo made an exception for Monster Hunter and money-hatted it (one of Capcom's requests was the Analog add-on, which Nintendo agreed to, otherwise I doubt that would exist).

But I don't see anything wrong with it. It's been a brilliant move as its effectively cut the legs off the Vita in Japan, exposing the Sony's handhelds as a one-trick pony there.

Plus it's pretty funny payback for the PSOne/PS2 days where Sony denied Nintendo franchises like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid and Tomb Raider and GTA. Now they're getting a taste of their own medicine.

Nintendo made a fortune off the Wii/DS/Brain Training/Nintendogs, etc. paying off Capcom was no problem. Not Nintendo's fault that Sony conversely ended up blowing all their PS1/PS2 profit on the PS3. It was probably fairly easy for Nintendo to outbid Sony, they simply have much more money. 

Soundwave said:

Plus it's pretty funny payback for the PSOne/PS2 days where Sony denied Nintendo franchises like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid and Tomb Raider and GTA. Now they're getting a taste of their own medicine.

All of the games in those franchises (apart from Final Fantasy IX) were available on other platforms, mainly PC but also the Sega Saturn, Dreamcast and even the Game Boy. Also, none of those franchises apart from Final Fantasy used to be exclusive to Nintendo and Final Fantasy jumped ship because Nintendo shot themselves in the foot by using cartridges.

brendude13 said:
Soundwave said:

All of the games in those franchises (apart from Final Fantasy IX) were available on other platforms, mainly PC but also the Sega Saturn, Dreamcast and even the Game Boy. Also, none of those franchises apart from Final Fantasy used to be exclusive to Nintendo and Final Fantasy jumped ship because Nintendo shot themselves in the foot by using cartridges.

There certainly were exclusivity contracts for games like GTA3 and MGS2 and DMC and so on. There was no MGS or GTA or DMC or Final Fantasy on Dreamcast/Saturn, not sure where you are getting that from. 

I'm not knocking the practice. Good for Sony for taking advantage of Nintendo's mistakes and then securing key exclusives with "incentives" (read: probably cash pay outs). 

But turn around is fair play. If there was a bidding war for Monster Hunter, it's very likely Capcom looked at the financial state of both Sony/Nintendo and saw Nintendo had far more cash (they made a fortune with the Wii and DS). 

If this is what Nintendo/Capcom did, I don't see anything wrong with it. It was a smart move for both companies, Capcom probably scored a very sweet publishing deal on top of likely a flat-out payment and Nintendo's agreement to assist with marketing. 

Soundwave said:
brendude13 said:
Soundwave said:

There certainly were exclusivity contracts for games like GTA3 and MGS2 and DMC and so on. There was no MGS or GTA or DMC or Final Fantasy on Dreamcast/Saturn, not sure where you are getting that from. 

I'm not knocking the practice. Good for Sony for taking advantage of Nintendo's mistakes and then securing key exclusives with "incentives" (read: probably cash pay outs). 

But turn around is fair play. If there was a bidding war for Monster Hunter, it's very likely Capcom looked at the financial state of both Sony/Nintendo and saw Nintendo had far more cash (they made a fortune with the Wii and DS). 

If this is what Nintendo/Capcom did, I don't see anything wrong with it. It was a smart move for both companies, Capcom probably scored a very sweet publishing deal on top of likely a flat-out payment and Nintendo's agreement to assist with marketing. 

you do know those GTA games were released on Xbox and PC?? ANd even the GBA got an original GTA game? Any deal that Sony had with RS was for TIMED exclusitivity, no different than what MS itself does know with that same series along with others like Elder Scrolls and COD. FF games appeared on PC but i think you wanna miss the point anyway.

FYI I dont see anything wrong with it either, as the other two companies have been doing this for years, im just glad that NINTY FINALLY decided to join the party

Around the Network

Hm, I'm unable to read the OP, but I think we can be pretty sure that Nintendo made a deal with Capcom to bring Monster Hunter Tri to Wii. At the time Capcom claimed they made the switch due to "development costs", but every other major Capcom franchise remained on PS3/360 (RE, DMC, SF), and they even claimed that some of these (RE5) could NOT come to Wii because of its weaker hardware, a claim equally as silly as their comments about MH3's expenditures.   It was PR talk, nothing more, and Nintendo's marketing deals for MHTri made obvious the real reason the franchise switched platforms when no others did. Nintendo even had to make a controller as similar to the DS3 and other traditional gamepads as possible in order to make MH playable on Wii and get Capcom to agree to the deal.

MH3G and MH4 on 3DS seem to merely be an extension of that deal.  They were already working with Nintendo on Monster Hunter, and nobody really knew how the 3DS or PSV would fare, so they probably decided to continue working closely with Nintendo for the time being.  Working that closely with a first party at the very least hedges your bets should you happen to choose the wrong horse.

oniyide said:
snowdog said:
Oniyide, Dragon Quest X hasn't been released yet mate, and I was talking about the U not the Wii anyway. You're less likely to see as much of a sales increase for Wii consoles because the console is in its death throes. The U on the other hand is a different kettle of fish altogether. All you need to do is consider this following formula:

Current Gen Fatigue + Dragon Quest X U = Next Gen Console With The Biggest Franchise In Japan Flying Off Shelves

If you're doubting for a second that one of the big three (Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy in order of importance) isn't going to boost hardware sales then I suggest you stop drinking and/or taking drugs lol.

The Vita getting any one of those three is the only thing that's going to save the portable in Japan. Sony not selling over 1m handhelds in any single territory since launch is pitiful. :Oo

YOu didnt say anything about the WIi U. Be more specific next time.  As someone has already said, that game being an MMO might hurt sales a bit, but who knows. New system might make people curious and maybe they will go for it. I'm not holding my breath and LOL at your Vita doomed, it hasnt even had a holiday season yet. It wasnt like 3ds was selling so hot when it came out either, hence the price cut. When Dec. comes and pass then you can say Vita doomed all you want.

I didn't mention the Wii and specifically referred to the Wii U as the U to prevent any potential confusion. The only time I mentioned the Wii was when referring to the PS3 SKU of Tri that got canned in favour of the Wii SKU. Can't see how I could possibly be more specific than that.

snowdog said:
Degausser said:
Monster Hunter 4 is part of the generally console series which appeared on PS2, and then Wii. The fact MH3 was a Wii-exclusive already meant the series was on Nintendo consoles,, 3DS is the natural next console really, as doing a full HD type production on PS3 or Wii-U isn't gonna happen for a Japanese centric franchise.

The Monster Hunter Portable () of which all 3 versions released on the PSP - and the series which skyrocketed it to juggernaut status in Japan imo will remain on Playstation and be a Vita exclusive. It's a few years off and whatever, but the reality is the 3DS MH is a sequel to a Wii game, not a PSP game, and when they make the PSP sequel it'll be on Vita (Albeit exclusivity isn't guarenteed I guess).

The problem is people on here don't actually play or have an interest in the series, so they think the 3DS game is like, the sequel to the PSP one, when it isn't. It's still a big deal though, but not as big as deal as people think.

I doubt very much that we'll see a Monster Hunter for any of the Sony platforms anytime soon. The Vita hasn't even sold over a million in a single territory and by the time the PS4 arrives (even if you don't take into consideration its inevitable higher retail pricepoint) the U will have an installed userbase of anywhere between 10 and 15m assuming that the PS4 is released a year later.

Capcom canned the PS3 exclusive and switched to a Wii exclusive because the PS3 was a complete failure in terms of hardware sales at the time. Christ on a fucking bike, the GBA even outsold it for a few months!!!

I'm personally expecting an announcement from Capcom before the U launches that they're bringing the Monster Hunter franchise to the U. It's a no-brainer. The console is going to fly off shelves over there thanks to Nintendo securing Dragon Quest X, which is the only franchise over there more popular than the Monster Hunter franchise.

Lol, if Nintendo also manage to get an exclusive Final Fantasy title over there for the U then both Sony and Microsoft might as well not bother releasing their next gen consoles over there. ;oP

Here's my post with my mentions of Nintendo's next gen console highlighted. Can't see how I can be more specific than that. I only mentioned the Wii once and that was referring to Monster Hunter Tri.

VicViper said:
Fusioncode said:
F0X said:

Apparently since Capcom is supporting Nintendo systems, we must assume that Nintendo is moneyhatting.

Must be because nobody thinks Capcom is capable of making excellent business decisions on their own (anymore).

Yes because the Monster Hunter series sold so poorly on PSP. Maybe you should remember that it wasn't until Portable 2nd that the PSP really took off in Japan, and Portable 3rd was a far bigger seller than 3G.

The main series will probably stay on Nintendo systems but that doesn't mean Capcom is going to be stupid enough to let the massively successful Portable series die. There's a huge fanbase for that franchise, even moreso than the main franchise. Portable 4th will most likely come to Vita, Capcom isn't going to leave that fanbase out.

While I agree that PSP really took off after MH, let's not forget that it was selling at double the rate (and growing) of Vita before MH. So, that begs the question: what if portable 4th comes to 3DS too? I mean, Portable 4th is still a long way away, and 3DS might be such a behemoth compared to Vita by then that it may be unjustifiable to ignore it. Not to mention international sales, which surely will be bigger and part of capcom's strategy.

If Portable 4th comes to 3DS then I don't see any way of the Vita competing in Japan.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
VicViper said:
Fusioncode said:
F0X said:

Apparently since Capcom is supporting Nintendo systems, we must assume that Nintendo is moneyhatting.

Must be because nobody thinks Capcom is capable of making excellent business decisions on their own (anymore).

Yes because the Monster Hunter series sold so poorly on PSP. Maybe you should remember that it wasn't until Portable 2nd that the PSP really took off in Japan, and Portable 3rd was a far bigger seller than 3G.

The main series will probably stay on Nintendo systems but that doesn't mean Capcom is going to be stupid enough to let the massively successful Portable series die. There's a huge fanbase for that franchise, even moreso than the main franchise. Portable 4th will most likely come to Vita, Capcom isn't going to leave that fanbase out.

While I agree that PSP really took off after MH, let's not forget that it was selling at double the rate (and growing) of Vita before MH. So, that begs the question: what if portable 4th comes to 3DS too? I mean, Portable 4th is still a long way away, and 3DS might be such a behemoth compared to Vita by then that it may be unjustifiable to ignore it. Not to mention international sales, which surely will be bigger and part of capcom's strategy.

If Portable 4th comes to 3DS then I don't see any way of the Vita competing in Japan.

The 3DS is probably going to be past 15 million in userbase Japan before the Vita gets to 3-4 million at this rate, with a full userbase of Monster Hunter players already on the 3DS by the time MH4 is finished its run. 

Dollars to donughts says future Monster Hunter games after MH4 will be staying right where they are. Sony needs to develop their own IP that can sell. 

Just like Dragon Quest, I don't know if Sony's going to be seeing a mainline MH game for a long, long time.