By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Brothers: What am I getting myself into?

Wave-Dashing and L-Cancel are not in Brawl, which kinda stinks. They (Nintendo) could've at least let it be legal in a professional league online. Maybe even an option for turning it on and off.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

Around the Network
swyggi said:
Wave-Dashing and L-Cancel are not in Brawl, which kinda stinks. They (Nintendo) could've at least let it be legal in a professional league online. Maybe even an option for turning it on and off.

No, that'd be stupid.  These "tech moves" are simply exploiting the way the game works...which is all fine if you can do it, but there's no reason Nintendo is obligated to purposely include those exploits in Brawl.

And I'm sure completely different exploits will be found and practiced in Brawl, so I doubt the "pros" have anything to worry about.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
swyggi said:

No, that'd be stupid. These "tech moves" are simply exploiting the way the game works...which is all fine if you can do it, but there's no reason Nintendo is obligated to purposely include those exploits in Brawl.

And I'm sure completely different exploits will be found and practiced in Brawl, so I doubt the "pros" have anything to worry about.

Agreed. If you want to wavedash, keep playing Melee.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Does anyone know of the Black Hole Glitch? It was only usable on Melee while playing on the GCN. Look it up on the Internet, it's pretty neat. The Black Hole Glitch WILL NOT work with Melee on the Wii; the CPU is much faster so it can't work.

My friends and I did the Black Hole Glitch, it was pretty funny...but it took us like 5 tries to do it without completely crashing the Gamecube.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
Chadius said:
BenKenobi88 said:
swyggi said:

No, that'd be stupid. These "tech moves" are simply exploiting the way the game works...which is all fine if you can do it, but there's no reason Nintendo is obligated to purposely include those exploits in Brawl.

Agreed. If you want to wavedash, keep playing Melee.

teching, projectile cancelling, fast falling, l-cancelling, wall teching, ledge teching, and a few others meant to be in the game.  every single one has either a set animation, or is consistant (projectile cancelling).  wave dashing is the only one not meant in the game.

if you want to see how obvious l-cancelling is, than use bowser's air.  it doesn't look anything different than the normal one, except that it has a shorter recovery.  i think around 3:00 is the l cancelling.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/18294.html 

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Maybe they shipped the game knowing that pressing L against the wall at the right time would cancel your falling...but that doesn't mean it's part of the creator's vision. And he's got every right to remove said exploits in Brawl. Boohoo.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

Also, what is "fast falling"? Do you mean pressing down while in the air? Cause that's not a "tech"...that's completely part of the game, not an exploit, like L-cancelling.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

Calling Smash Bros. a button masher is unfair considering if you button mash you are going to be spending a whole lot of time doing absolutely nothing aside from sitting there wide open. And heaven help you if you try with b attacks.

soccerdrew17 said:
Chadius said:
BenKenobi88 said:
swyggi said:

Agreed. If you want to wavedash, keep playing Melee.

teching, projectile cancelling, fast falling, l-cancelling, wall teching, ledge teching, and a few others meant to be in the game. every single one has either a set animation, or is consistant (projectile cancelling). wave dashing is the only one not meant in the game.

if you want to see how obvious l-cancelling is, than use bowser's air. it doesn't look anything different than the normal one, except that it has a shorter recovery. i think around 3:00 is the l cancelling.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/18294.html

You took the rules of Melee and figured out how to use it to your advantage. That's super.

Now, here's a new game. It's called Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

It might remind you of another game. But it's not the same.

Some of the rules have been changed. I'm sure you'll find ways to use it to your advantage, like you did in the previous game.

I mean, Street Fighter 2 =/= Street Figther Alpha =/= Street Fighter 3. Each were similar, but they had a different ruleset. All the experts of previous games either kept playing their older game or they learned how to use the rules of the new game.

Seriously, you (or Smashboards) will figure out how to squeeze high-level play out of Brawl in due time.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.