By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Something came in the post today...my 3DS XL - Now with first impressions!

Yup, I've got one. And it's amazing.

Well, I've had a little more time with it last night. The system transfer took a while, but now my old Aqua Blue doesn't know who it is any more (it says 'Select Language'), and my new 3DS has the soul of my old one. Except, the 3DS Ambassador games! They don't transfer over, you have to go back into the e-Shop and re-download them all again! I assume the save files have come over, but I will need do do some thorough testing after work tonight (I'm in work now).

As for the play test - I played some good Mario Kart 7 last night. My first real impression is that the screen is not as crisp - it's a bit like playing a Wii on a (very, very good) HDTV with very good upscaling. It's bright, still pretty crisp, but ocassionally you can see a jaggy and it's slightly less crisp and impactful. However, after five minutes, I'd completely forgotten what the old image looked like, because the screen is so massive that it completely pulls you in. It's almost too big, between the top screen and the touch screen I feel like I'm completely involved in the game. My girlfriend said it's like playing on a TV. So overall, I much prefer the XL experience, even if it's probably not quite as pin-sharp.

The other surprise? The analog nub. It's amazing. It might actually be slightly smaller, but they've hugely improved it. With MK7 or SM3DL, I used to sometimes struggle to turn a corner with it - now it's super responsive and I absolutely caned the races I played, even more so than usual.

Overall, first impressions are largely positive. I now have a 16GB SD card on board too. I will report back with some more extensive playtesting tonight!

My Blog, Please Have A Read:

http://Proseandconsoles.blogspot.com

Around the Network

Lucky, I still have to wait until August 22nd. Dumb Iwata thinks he can just make me wait without any repercussions

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Sweet! Have you played any games yet? The reason I ask is because I want to know if the games look more pixaleted on the larger screen as opposed to the original 3DS's smaller screen.

I'm an advocate for motion controls, Nintendo, and Kicking freaking Toad to the Moon!

3DS Friend Code - 0860-3269-1286

VicViper said:

~Pic~

Lol. xD

OT: Wh-wha-what?!?! You are so lucky!

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Nice. Can you tell if the speakers are a little louder than the original 3DS?

It was announced they're exactly the same.

I found so strange that some people complained about this when it was announced...  the max volume to me is irritating!

VicViper said:
Soriku said:
Nice. Can you tell if the speakers are a little louder than the original 3DS?

It was announced they're exactly the same.

I found so strange that some people complained about this when it was announced...  the max volume to me is irritating!

I guess that they were hoping it would happen because the DSi XL had better speakers. Maybe they were just sad.

I played Mario Kart 7 a tiny bit. When I was in the home screen, I thought the icon on the top screen looked a tiny bit pixellated. Then when I played...wow! Everything is just so...BIG. It really draws you in. It's delicious. I wouldn't say it is pixellated at all, nor crisper. It just looks....bigger.

BTW the system transfer utility is adorable. It's loads of little Pikmin running between the systems carrying data chips, with flowers on the ground saying "25%" or "50%" beneath them. Awesome!

My Blog, Please Have A Read:

http://Proseandconsoles.blogspot.com

I thought it wasn't out yet?

Wiped said:

I played Mario Kart 7 a tiny bit. When I was in the home screen, I thought the icon on the top screen looked a tiny bit pixellated. Then when I played...wow! Everything is just so...BIG. It really draws you in. It's delicious. I wouldn't say it is pixellated at all, nor crisper. It just looks....bigger.

BTW the system transfer utility is adorable. It's loads of little Pikmin running between the systems carrying data chips, with flowers on the ground saying "25%" or "50%" beneath them. Awesome!

GIVE IT TO ME! GIVE IT TO ME NAO!!!