By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC or APPLE: What do you prefer and why?

PC or APPLE

PC 179 81.00%

APPLE 41 18.55%

Total:220
Plaupius said:
Jazz2K said:

Student versions are still very expensives and they won't allow you to make money with it anyway. When I finished my graphic design studies I used pirated versions of Adobe and Quark for some time until I could affort to buy a full version of Adobe (used Quark only twice for projects). As for now, I got student versions of Autodesks but before that I had to submit a portfolio of projects (some entry test to ensure you'll be able to follow the course) I got a pirated copy of Max did my portfolio, got accepted then now I could use the student versions.

You have to think that not everybody use pirated copies just because they don't want to pay. To me it's like wellfare, some abuse of it and some don't but it's there so you can use it. I'm not the kind that rejects everything just because some media tells me it's bad. Movies/music/games all gets pirated like hell still they report massive profits every years, people need to be more intelligent in regards to piracy.

Let me ask you a question. Say you've done a big project for a customer, and it took you 12 months to do it using many tools. Let's say you did a 3D animated movie for a Superbowl ad, created the models, textures etc. You did it for a big international corporation and got paid for your work according to your contract, which stipulates that the ad is to be displayed only during the Superbowl. Later you see your ad running on TV during prime time shows. Should the big international corporation pay you extra? After all, your contract specifically stated that they can run the ad only during Supoerbowl.

I'm aware that some projects (especially those made for big corporations) needs to be made using only fully licensed tools. I'm not so stupid, I couldn't even make what you're talking about with a student version then again making that kind of animation would require some small team. Weather your project was made with licensed tools or not the corporation has no right to use it be during the superbowl or prime time shows just because companies like Autodesk are in rights to ask for the programs license codes. If you used fully licensed tools then yes you have rights and they need to follow the contract or you can sue them. 

Around the Network
Jazz2K said:
Plaupius said:

Let me ask you a question. Say you've done a big project for a customer, and it took you 12 months to do it using many tools. Let's say you did a 3D animated movie for a Superbowl ad, created the models, textures etc. You did it for a big international corporation and got paid for your work according to your contract, which stipulates that the ad is to be displayed only during the Superbowl. Later you see your ad running on TV during prime time shows. Should the big international corporation pay you extra? After all, your contract specifically stated that they can run the ad only during Supoerbowl.

I'm aware that some projects (especially those made for big corporations) needs to be made using only fully licensed tools. I'm not so stupid, I couldn't even make what you're talking about with a student version then again making that kind of animation would require some small team. Weather your project was made with licensed tools or not the corporation has no right to use it be during the superbowl or prime time shows just because companies like Autodesk are in rights to ask for the programs license codes. If you used fully licensed tools then yes you have rights and they need to follow the contract or you can sue them

Actually, I wasn't at all asking about using student licenced/pirate software to do commercial work. But you answered my question anyway. So, you expect that your intellectual property is respected, and if it is not, then you're ready to sue, is that correct?

Now, another hypothetical scenario: suppose that the project files for the ad you made for the company are somehow "leaked" to torrent sites. All of the sudden, you see videos pop up online where people have changed some little thing in the ad, re-rendered it and are posting it as theirs. Would that be ok for you?

Next thing you know, you see an ad for a different company that is clearly just a slight modification of your leaked project. Is that fair use? Or do they have to pay you for the use of your project assets?

Plaupius said:
Jazz2K said:
Plaupius said:

I'm aware that some projects (especially those made for big corporations) needs to be made using only fully licensed tools. I'm not so stupid, I couldn't even make what you're talking about with a student version then again making that kind of animation would require some small team. Weather your project was made with licensed tools or not the corporation has no right to use it be during the superbowl or prime time shows just because companies like Autodesk are in rights to ask for the programs license codes. If you used fully licensed tools then yes you have rights and they need to follow the contract or you can sue them

Actually, I wasn't at all asking about using student licenced/pirate software to do commercial work. But you answered my question anyway. So, you expect that your intellectual property is respected, and if it is not, then you're ready to sue, is that correct?

Now, another hypothetical scenario: suppose that the project files for the ad you made for the company are somehow "leaked" to torrent sites. All of the sudden, you see videos pop up online where people have changed some little thing in the ad, re-rendered it and are posting it as theirs. Would that be ok for you?

Next thing you know, you see an ad for a different company that is clearly just a slight modification of your leaked project. Is that fair use? Or do they have to pay you for the use of your project assets?

This is common in the industry though. If I'm correct people need to change no more than 20-30% of your work to make it their own. This can be very irritating but you'd have to cope with it. If your files were leaked and someone stole them to use them commercially, they'd have to face my client in court because the product is theirs not mine so the decision to sue is not mine but theirs. What they would do though is sue me for reusing their files (which I made) for another client but then again they'd have to prove I did it. Artistic property is a very touchy subject but people copy one another here and there, no need to grab the files, just seeing it is enough to copy.

As for the programs there's one thing you have to take into consideration. Take Adobe for example. Being easy to pirate makes their programs the most used in and out of the industry. People know Adobe and they want it more than say, Corel. People want Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effect etc. The industry wants these too, it's pretty easy to find workers that have knowledge in Photoshop these days because everyone has it even if it's a 800$ program. Adobe knows this, the industry knows this and people benefit from it. Adobe is not on the verge of bankruptcy, the world needs artistic talent here and there and both Adobe and Autodesk benefit greatly from being the most used programs on the planet weather it's pirated of not.

I fell in love with my MAC as soon as I got it, it's so practical, fast, smooth and the interface and order is fantastic. In my PC, something was ALWAYS wrong. I couldn't save my file in X disk, Y file was missing, Z program wouldn't run.

I love MAC, and it's far superior. Of course, the price is indeed an issue.

I prefer my PC right now but that is mostly because I am used to it. My bro has a mac for the purpose of developing iOS games and I use it every now and then. I do the graphics on my PC and I am not seeing why a mac is better for design. I do like the set up the more i use it though. My bro has somehow managed to slow this mac down over a 1 year period. Anyone else have that problem?

www.speedkittens.com

Around the Network

PC because that's what i'm used to, they customizable and allow to do anything you want. Mac can be limited, although i still wouldn't mind owning a MacBook pro, even if it's very expensive

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018