By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your opinion, which of these current Gen Rpgs is the best?

Choose your game.

Final Fantasy XIII/XIII2 35 7.13%

Lost Odyssey 34 6.92%

Dark Souls 38 7.74%

Skyrim 157 31.98%

The Witcher 2 35 7.13%

Xenoblade Chronicles 146 29.74%

Rainbow Moon 1 0.20%

Valkyria Chronicles 40 8.15%

Blue Dragon 1 0.20%

Resonance of Fate 3 0.61%

Total:490

I can't vote, I still have to play games, like Xenoblade, The Last Story, and many others.

Around the Network

I've played nearly every game from that list except Rainbow Moon and I gotta say that Xenoblade poops all over them.

Xenoblade Chronicles easily became my favourite game of all time. Without a doubt the best rpg of this generation. It was so close to a perfect score in my opinion: just needed a beastiary and branchable arts.

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

Skyrim. I have Xenoblade and I'm about 20+ hours in but It hasn't hooked me like skyrim has. Skyrim has over 200 hours clocked on it.

the poll choices are really poor man...
no portable games, wtf?

Around the Network
shakarak said:
Skyrim. I have Xenoblade and I'm about 20+ hours in but It hasn't hooked me like skyrim has. Skyrim has over 200 hours clocked on it.

Skyrim is a Western RPG and Xenoblade is a Japanese RPG. You can't really compare them since they have different styles of play. Both clock in 300 hours if you're a completetionist and both are great in games in their own genre.

Games can and should tell stories and share ideas through their mechanics. This is the intrinsic element of the medium and this is how experiences should be crafted in video games. No company does this as well as Nintendo and their echoes from the past.
  Aurum Ring  Delano7  Ocarinahero032

Fallout 3, New Vegas, Valkyria Chronicles

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Xenoblade, and also one of the greatest events in gaming history

echoesfromthepast said:
shakarak said:

Skyrim is a Western RPG and Xenoblade is a Japanese RPG. You can't really compare them since they have different styles of play. Both clock in 300 hours if you're a completetionist and both are great in games in their own genre.

Well I'm not really comparing them.  Those are the only two games I own on that list.  Most JRPGS hook me  and I won't stop playing them until their beat.  But Xenoblade hasn't reached kept my attention.  But it's more then likely because I spent most of my time completing every single side quest instead of doing the actual story.  So although i'm 20-30 hours in (with every side quest available done)  I'm only up to the part where I'm trying to save the other colony by going under it in a mine.  

Haven't played Lost Odyssey, Witcher 2, or Blue Dragon but from those I've played I'd have to go with Valkyria Chronicles as being best. If on the other hand the question was favorite I'd actually go with something not on your list: the Atelier series. Something about the gameplay of those titles really works for me, not the battle system but the time limit and synthesis are really a favorite from this gen for me.