By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PlayStation All-Stars’ Developers Want Super Mario To Join Sony’s Brawler

M.U.G.E.N said:
Deoz said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Deoz said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

exactly man..they did that new thing tho...but it's not that good so it doesn't count...oh they did new things on those games? I don't like em or have played them so it's not ok to use them as examples...

Both sides are doing this.

I don't see any sony fans starting this butt hurt thread? A comment made in good humor was taken out of context to bash sony. It doesn't get more pathetic than that. The only thing happening in this thread is showing the hypocracy behind some of the really stupid statements made in this thread. I do see this double standard when approaching things from Nintendo fans more tho in VGC..may it be about graphics, innovation and corporate arrogance ..among other things. 

i refer to the notion of both groups calling on each others games non inovative/ eally inovative when neither do anything really outstanding at the end.

Demon souls is moslty  fromsoft work aided with the funding and programer monkeys of of Sony of japan.

calling invizimals or wiifit innovative when their cocepts themselves are older than the psone.

ignoring the changes that mario or other Sony's ips has had along it's life time or overglorifing sequels that just improved execution rather then new big elements that really changed gameplay like infamous 2 or Mario galxy 2.

"B-but Nintendo fans..."

No. Both of you fell under this hipocrisy.

Not gonna get into other games...others are already doing it

I haven't fallen into any form of hipocrisy at all. I have not said anything of the nintendo games yet now have I? I just pointed out he should apply the same standard across the board in his statement which he is failing miserably at. You should learn to read things better. I'm not glorifying anything.

oh and btw UGC IS a big addition and a big change for the series and genre. That's not glorifying..it's just how it is. It's not a bu bu ninty fans..it IS ninty fans..and I never said it's only them..just that on this site you see it more from them in those areas I mentioned. Again, learn to read better

Not really, pretty bland missions, very limited regarding what your goal is and how will you get there. As littl big planet, it misses good level design form comunnity.

And no, it barely changes the genre. 

Also i see the pretty fair share bewteen both of them in this site. In the time i had been, not very different form others.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Euphoria14 said:
BasilZero said:
Euphoria14 said:
Ajescent said:
Euphoria14 said:
Hey, who was first to do singing games and quiz games with mics and buzzers?

Nintendo!

(I actually don't know, I think Rockband might have been first)

Singstar released in 2004.

Guitar Hero released in 2005 and Rock Band did microphones before Guitar Hero, but that didn't release until 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Sound:_Kaze_no_Regret

From what I gather that title is more of an audio book where you listen and then at specific points use a controller to choose the next course of action.

Either way, if you have followed any of the "Nintendo created the world in 7 days" threads you would know that SEGA and the bringer of innovation (a.k.a. Dreamcast) do not count.

Whoops , well all I did was search up "Music games" and the first wiki article talked about every single Audio/music related game, and this was the oldest I could find...unless you want to count Mario Paint...but XD.

Ahh... Nintendo created the Music game genre I see, and seeing as how you can use it to make music that means they started UGC as well.

Fuck, SONY really do copy everything from Nintendo.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

SEGA was the original super innovator which is why they were always my main company but they became something else after the Dreamcast died. Now I'm with the runnerup. Nintendo.

I still do most of my gaming on the PC though.

lilbroex said:
SEGA was the original super innovator which is why they were always my main company but they became something else after the Dreamcast died. Now I'm with the runnerup. Nintendo.

I still do most of my gaming on the PC though.

Sega always had the upper hand in concepts.

One can only hope for another semune

o_O.Q said:
JWeinCom said:
"you haven't answered my question "what is so differentiating about those games?""

In the case of Kid Icarus, it's a matter of controls. There is no game that controls like Kid Icarus Uprising, which uses a unique twitch based combat system. Have you played the game? Because it's a bit difficult to describe. The game also features a unique weapon building (or breeding) system which is incredibly deep, and unique to anything in other games. The difficulty system, the fiend's cauldron, is another innovative mechanic that presents a different idea on how to change difficulty. The game also features a unique spin on multiplayer (light vs dark is a blend of traditional team battles and juggernauts mode) and so on. The game also has a comical vibe that helps it stand apart from most games.

Luigi's Mansion again is mechanically different than pretty much anything out there. The battle (or vacuuming) mechanics are different from pretty much any game out there, as is the overall theme of the game. Simply put, there aren't a whole lot of games that revolve around vacuuming ghosts.

"what is playstation home? isn't playstation home a minigame hub?"

Home has minigames for sure, but it always struck me as more of a second life kind of thing that really focuses on social interaction and personalization. It's actually something that is pretty unique that I didn't give Sony credit for. So far, it doesn't seem like Nintendo is going that route with Nintendo Land. I could be wrong, but Nintendoland doesn't seem like a virtual hang out of anykind. The theme park itself just seems like a glorified menu. The innovation comes in the form of the actual minigames.

"thats pretty ironic as i've heard people say the same thing of wii sports"

I think people say this because they're looking at Wii Sports from the hardcore gaming point of view. The beauty of Wii Sports is that it's something very simple and intuitive, and it struck a chord with casual gamers like nothing has before. It was something I was able to play with my 5 year old brother, my 50 year old mother, and everyone in between. Regardless, the point isn't necessarily how polished the products are. The point is, that the products in question are very different.

"so sony and microsoft didn't do the same when they released their own motion sports games?"

I'm just going to focus on Sony, and no, I don't think they did. The Playstation Move is fundamentally the same as the Wii mote, and only offers mild advantages over the Wii-mote +. Ping Pong was something we'd done in Wii Sports Resort, as was Frisbee golf. The differences in those games were mainly visual. Archery again was pretty much the same as Wii Sports Resort. Sword fighting is present in both. In this case, the Sony version is somewhat different in offering a more complex game, although I think the changes are mostly for the worse. Bocce is a random inclusion, and Beach Volleyball is unique. Overall, we have incredibly similar hardware, 3 identical minigames, 1 somewhat altered minigames, and two new ones. Your opinion may differ, but I don't think this is significant change or innovation. Based on the Move's failure, I think that the masses are in agreement.

And that also encapsulates how I feel about Playstation All-Stars. Based on what I've seen, it doesn't seem that this is a significant improvement over Smash Bros, and it doesn't seem to do anything very differently, aside from its KO system. Instead of taking the idea and making it their own, Sony just took the idea.

so basically controls and vacuuming ghosts... so i guess the ugc creater, the varied powers some of which i have yet to see in any other games, the general theme of infamous etc don't make it unique though ok your opinion again which i'm sure others who've played infamous may disagree with

" Home has minigames for sure, but it always struck me as more of a second life kind of thing that really focuses on social interaction and personalization ..."

" Regardless, the point isn't necessarily how polished the products are "

it isn't? so why say this "It was kind of a neat idea, but it wasn't fleshed out as well as it should have been, and the technology wasn't really there."

which is it?

its funny though i show you how people said the same for wii sports then you instantly change your point lol

finally personally i do believe that sports champions offered a significant improvement in terms of controls over wii sports but thats my opinion the same as you have yours

but regardless my point is that if you can say that nintendo took an idea and put their own spin on it then the same has to be said for sony and microsoft 

"so i guess the ugc creater, the varied powers some of which i have yet to see in any other games, the general theme of infamous etc don't make it unique though ok your opinion again which i'm sure others who've played infamous may disagree with"

I don't thing the theme is anything especially unique.  It's well done, but typical comic book fare.  UGC is a good thing, but I don't think its done very well.  I don't think you should get points for innovating if you don't do it right.  Cole's power set isn't anything especially unique from other games.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say "OMG INFAMOUS 2 IS A BLATANT RIP OFF WITH NOTHING TO OFFER".  I like Infamous 2 alot.   I'm just saying that it's a very well done and polished games, but it doesn't really do much to advance its genre.  Think people are blowing this a bit out of proportion. That's the problem I have with Sony in general.  I think they make great and polished products, but they don't go the extra mile to create something truly unique.

"basically all you're really saying is that home is more fleshed out but regradless the point still remains that if one chooses to do so home can be used as a hub to possibly hundreds of mini games ( which i may be wrong in saying is what nintendo is planning to do )"

Not really. What I'm saying is that they're two very different products that shouldn't be compared.  It's not a matter of fleshed out vs not fleshed out or better vs worse.  It's just two very different things. 

"it isn't? so why say this "It was kind of a neat idea, but it wasn't fleshed out as well as it should have been, and the technology wasn't really there."

That was just kind of a comment about eyetoy kinetic in general, not a comparison between the two.  But to make myself clear, I think that Wii Sports and Wii Fit are a vast improvement over what Eyetoy offered, and provide significantly upgraded and unique features.  Do you disagree with that?

"finally personally i do believe that sports champions offered a significant improvement in terms of controls over wii sports but thats my opinion the same as you have yours"

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.  I didn't find that Sports Champions really offered better controls.

"but regardless my point is that if you can say that nintendo took an idea and put their own spin on it then the same has to be said for sony and microsoft"

Of course the same thing can be said!  Again, let's go to Little Big Planet.  Sony took an established genre and made it their own with an emphasis on UGC.  Heavy Rain took the classing "interactive movie" formula and really changed how the controls were used to bring you into the experience, as well as offering more freedom in how the story develops.

My point isn't that Sony NEVER does anything innovative as some people are making it out to be.  My point is that Sony really doesn't do enough of this.

To take things back to the begining, do you really think that Sony Playstation All-Stars offers something that improves and innovates the Smash Brothers formula?  Personally, I don't think the changes they offer are enough to make the game stand out from its obvious inspiration.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:

You're just now finding out?

BasilZero said:
JWeinCom said:

Developers won't make games however they want.  They'll make the games that people buy.  If tens of millions of people buy Playstation All Stars, they'll determine that people are OK with such unoriginal projects.  If people don't buy it, they'll perhaps have a bit more ambition next time.

And no, I haven't played ASBR, but I'm a fairly intelligent person, and it's not hard to tell a lot about the game from a combination of videos and hands on impressions.  Unless youare suggesting that nobody discusses any game that hasn't come out yet, than I don't really see your point.  Of course, I'll reserve final judgement until I play the game, but analyzing pre-release games is part of the fun here, and there is a lot of information you can get from impressions and videos.

What I WOULD like is a game that takes the same premise and adds a unique spin to it, but that doesn't look like what we have here.

First Sentence - They make a game however they want from the idea of what people want. So many people wanted a SSB style game for Sony characters, and guess what, they got it now, it was the developer's choice to make this game, they could of made it like Street Fighter and it would of sold well.

No way in hell is PSABR plays the same, did you even watch the same exact videos as everyone else did? Or are you just looking at the animations of the character movements and stage design? Did you even see the fighting style? Do you see % bars? Can characters kill each other with normal or "SMASH" (no I dont mean the super attacks from brawl)? No.

Also "Why do I need to drop 60 bucks to play something that's the same?"

Again, how do you know its the same? Did you even play it at first hand? You sound like a game critic, someone who's had the chance to play it behind closed doors, which I'm pretty sure you havent.

Also your last statement is completely wrong, same premise and adds a unique spin to it..uhh isnt that what we have here?

Sounds like you just have a agenda just because its a Sony game, I would bet on it, if another company were to make a fighting game the same way hell even closer to what SSB is, Nintendo fans wouldnt be raging as much, they'll be praising it especially if it came out on a Nintendo platform. Complete bias and one sided point of view imo just because its a competitor developed game and on a competitor platform. Honestly its sad to see how people get worked up over something so minor.

Instead of fussing over the fact that the game is coming out, people should embrace the fact that this could lead to potentially future projects consisting of characters from different series and companies on different platforms.

Pretty sure no one raged when we saw all those 3D fighters being made and copying certain aspects from each other: Tekken, Dead or Alive, Street Fighter EX,  Virtua Fighter, Bloody Roar, etc when they were made.

Uhhhhh... dude... you said and I quote

"If you like the type of game that SSB is, wouldnt you love to see another game exactly like it? I know I would, infact I am, since I am a fan of SSB."

And, when I said "As for why I wouldn't want to see another game exactly like Smash Brothers, it's simple.  I have Smash Brothers.  If I want to play Smash, I could do so right now, so why do I need to drop 60 bucks to play something that's the same?" in response to YOUR hypothetical question, you rip me for being biased and claiming they're exactly the same?  Come on now.

@ jay

what are you always doing? i see now the fifth time or so in the last months that the thread is broken with your post. no clue what you do^^

Deoz said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

Not gonna get into other games...others are already doing it

I haven't fallen into any form of hipocrisy at all. I have not said anything of the nintendo games yet now have I? I just pointed out he should apply the same standard across the board in his statement which he is failing miserably at. You should learn to read things better. I'm not glorifying anything.

oh and btw UGC IS a big addition and a big change for the series and genre. That's not glorifying..it's just how it is. It's not a bu bu ninty fans..it IS ninty fans..and I never said it's only them..just that on this site you see it more from them in those areas I mentioned. Again, learn to read better

Not really, pretty bland missions, very limited regarding what your goal is and how will you get there. As littl big planet, it misses good level design form comunnity.

And no, it barely changes the genre. 

Also i see the pretty fair share bewteen both of them in this site. In the time i had been, not very different form others.

It definitely could use more complexity but I have yet to see anything like that in a game in that genre. It's a really unique addition that is 'not' progessive improvement from their previous game as you mentioned. Just because something is not impressive or complex enough for you doesn't mean it's not innovative or a new idea. That's like me saying the first 2d platformer is not innovations because it's way too simple. 

It doesn't change the genre? That is yet to be seen. Does it bring something new and unique to it? most definitely. You are acting the same way the guy I argued with earlier did. 

And I disagree about your last statement. I'm also in quite a few forums but I have yet to see anything of this level in any of them. It really shows when it comes to certain topics such as this game. Guess we will  agree to disagree on that matter

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

posting in another nintenfanboy thread that the OP wouldn't get banned for because nintendo is jesus on this website.

I agree with the guy who said sony x super smash should have happened anyway.