By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: next gen is about “improving gaming experience” “wonderful graphics won’t help”

Heavenly_King said:

They are right, but their point of view is limited to what they are offering.  In order to improve gaming experience you require new ideas AND POWER. ....POWER brings ("a bag" that has) BETTER GRAPHICS.   And that is to what Sony and M$ are aiming for Next Gen.

As always nintendo doing damage control.   Nintendo's improvement on gaming experience will be limited due to its limited leap from current gen.  As we can already see, the WiiU mario game is almost the same as every other mario game (before replying, ask yourself how many Mario games are out there and how many games from the franchise your are going to bash exist.   When that franchise reaches the same number of gamess and continues to be the same, then you will have a point).

Flame suit on!

Agreed and disagreed. To avoid a wall of text, I'll just say that Nintendo has the right idea with the "gameplay > graphics" thing, but I'm always disappointed to see Nintendo limiting themselves with dated technology.

Furthermore, I also partially agree with the Mario statement. This "New" series is causing 2D Mario to stagnate altogether, and part of me is still against the concept of a Super Mario Galaxy sequel. Nintendo did a fine job of keeping things fresh in generations past, but now I think the series need a break for a few years. However, I do think the WiiU experience, since it is a far more powerful system than the Wii, will produce vastly superior first-party games. As for new ideas, only time can tell. Supposedly Nintendo has a new IP or two being cooked up for Wii U. *shrug*

Again, no flaming. I just almost completely agree with what you said.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
F0X said:
Heavenly_King said:

They are right, but their point of view is limited to what they are offering.  In order to improve gaming experience you require new ideas AND POWER. ....POWER brings ("a bag" that has) BETTER GRAPHICS.   And that is to what Sony and M$ are aiming for Next Gen.

As always nintendo doing damage control.   Nintendo's improvement on gaming experience will be limited due to its limited leap from current gen.  As we can already see, the WiiU mario game is almost the same as every other mario game (before replying, ask yourself how many Mario games are out there and how many games from the franchise your are going to bash exist.   When that franchise reaches the same number of gamess and continues to be the same, then you will have a point).

Flame suit on!

Agreed and disagreed. To avoid a wall of text, I'll just say that Nintendo has the right idea with the "gameplay > graphics" thing, but I'm always disappointed to see Nintendo limiting themselves with dated technology.

Furthermore, I also partially agree with the Mario statement. This "New" series is causing 2D Mario to stagnate altogether, and part of me is still against the concept of a Super Mario Galaxy sequel. Nintendo did a fine job of keeping things fresh in generations past, but now I think the series need a break for a few years. However, I do think the WiiU experience, since it is a far more powerful system than the Wii, will produce vastly superior first-party games. As for new ideas, only time can tell. Supposedly Nintendo has a new IP or two being cooked up for Wii U. *shrug*

At last a nintendo gamer/fan that thinks, uses logic and does not say STFU (or you are a troll) at everyone who speaks not so great things about nintendo.   It bring tears of joy to my eyes :'D

If I had a cookie I would give it to you XD.  I would add you as a friend but you dont have any Sony console.....now I hate you >_<

Suggesting that wonderful graphics won't help is just plain stupid. Realism is a key element in several third party titles (and used to be in games like Metroid Prime).

It's true though that they won't matter as much as they used to anymore. ZombieU-like graphics is enough for me to be pleased... Well, at the moment, at least. Once I have actually seen the next-gen graphics I may change my mind.

Heavenly_King said:
F0X said:
Heavenly_King said:

Flame suit on!

At last a nintendo gamer/fan that thinks, uses logic and does not say STFU (or you are a troll) at everyone who speaks not so great things about nintendo.   It bring tears of joy to my eyes :'D

If I had a cookie I would give it to you XD.  I would add you as a friend but you dont have any Sony console.....now I hate you >_<

Yeah, I'm not going to defend every decision Nintendo makes (mostly because they're business decisions and that's not my area of expertise). As for Sony consoles, I used to own a PS2 (who didn't?), and I've been entertaining the notion of getting the PS3 for the last three years. Though it's more likely that I'll end up getting a Vita, now that I actually had a dream about owning one. O_o

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

graphics aren't everything,but they always help.

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Suggesting that wonderful graphics won't help is just plain stupid. Realism is a key element in several third party titles (and used to be in games like Metroid Prime).

It's true though that they won't matter as much as they used to anymore. ZombieU-like graphics is enough for me to be pleased... Well, at the moment, at least. Once I have actually seen the next-gen graphics I may change my mind.

Realism is a matter of design choice, not graphical prowess.

Graphics don't make a game for me, simple as that. For me it's sad to see all these "gamers" care so much about graphics, sure if the game have good graphics then fine, it's an additional plus, but it's definitely not a selling point, at least imo

Nintendo and PC gamer

lilbroex said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Realism is a matter of design choice, not graphical prowess.

I thought it was obvious that I was talking about realistic visuals. An N64 title cannot possibly look more realistic than a PS3 title (while the physics of PS3 titles are vastly improved as well). And design choices are limited by hardware.

happydolphin said:
Sal.Paradise said:

This is exactly what I would have said 10 years ago though. People forget about the march of progress so easily. I remember seeing old usenet posts about diminishing returns in the early Dreamcast era - how much further could we possibly improve graphics from upcoming 128 bit beasts! How can we expect developers to create games on PS2/GC/Xbox hardware, it's too powerful and complex!

It's the same spiel every generation, difference is now Nintendo have a weaker machine to sell, so they'll be saying it too, not just forum posters. 

Sal, what Iwata mentioned also applies to the PS360. All he's saying is that companies are struggling to capitalize on current graphics even today on the HD twins, and some are going belly up. In other words, Iwata expects more companies to focus on the experience (with a baseline satisfaction in graphics) and probably artstyle first as that will probs offer a safer and better ROI.

A tad unrelated, I also don't see a huge leap between PS3 and PS4 graphics happening if PCs are any indicator of it. I don't think the same argument could be used in the Dreamcast era. But I could be wrong on this one.

Well, I was talking specifically about richardhutnik's comment there about diminishing returns from graphics, not Iwata's comment on the importance of gameplay experiences. As to what you're saying Iwata said...I think my comment still applies! Developers go belly up every gen, and small/medium developers survive and spring up through every gen - the market this year has been bad for retail games but it's not been a trend throughout this generation. (In fact I think it's fair to say there's been more quality/successful middleware on the PS360 and PC than the Wii, but that's influenced by other factors as well).

Again, people forget that as the industry progresses on the power front, we get better development technology and more experienced devs to go along with it - for instance a lot of studios have realised that a single, flexible engine for multiple products is the best way to go (Epic led with Unreal 3, EA got smart with Frostbite - they use it in their shooters, racing games and even RTS games, now we see Square's Luminous engine, Crytek with the Cryengine, Konami with the Fox engine that they can use for both their flagship products Pro Evo and Metal Gear Solid. A good real world example is in the Luminous engine demo, they showed how they can now make adjustments in real time to in-game objects (colour, size, quantity) in the game that would previously have taken hours, days or longer on previous engines. It's this intelligent middleware that will cut costs, to compensate for the increase in man hours required for more detailed art assets. Devs just have more experience with HD development now, they've gotten out of the 'toothing stage and with (hopefully) the Nextbox and (almost certainly) PS4 using less complex unique architecture this time round, they should be even easier to develop for if a dev has experience on PCs, along with more advanced middleware. 

And he's right. The WiiU will be around 2x the power of the PS360, and strong enough to get cross-platform games next-gen. But no more powerful, because the games come first.

This is just commonsense. I don't care about the number of pixels. I care about the world portrayed by them.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.