By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Blue-ray surpasses 1 m sold mark

ckmlb said:
With 3 exclusives Blu Ray still had 70% of hi def movies sold in Q1....

I'm not sure how many exclusives have been released for BluRay, it is probibally more than 3, but for big-name hitters, HD-DVD has the same number of big releases as the BluRay. (That is a feat in it's own becuase HD-DVD has like 20% the exclusive support of BluRay) When BluRay has a month and drops like 10 exclusives to HD-DVDs 2 or 3... It's gonna get messy.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network
Hus said:

Since the high-def format's inception -- HD DVD launched in April 2006, while Blu-ray got rolling two months later -- more than 2.14 million discs have been purchased by consumers: 1.2 million Blu-ray Discs and about 937,500 HD DVDs.

Wow... 2million sales (approx 1m per format) in 12 months. I'm SOOO impressed.

</sarcasm off>

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Kwaad said:
ckmlb said:

I'm not sure how many exclusives have been released for BluRay, it is probibally more than 3, but for big-name hitters, HD-DVD has the same number of big releases as the BluRay. (That is a feat in it's own becuase HD-DVD has like 20% the exclusive support of BluRay) When BluRay has a month and drops like 10 exclusives to HD-DVDs 2 or 3... It's gonna get messy.

You are still missing the point, aren't you...

The companies that support HD-DVD are doing WELL, and are EXTREMELY happy with its performance. As long as this continues - and they keep bringing in the profit (which is MORE money than they would with BluRay) there is no reason for them to switch over.

Even if BluRay players outnumber HD-DVD players 3:1 - the number of companies/support for BluRay may outnumber it 10:1. So... when someone wants to buy a movie that runs on their BluRay player, these companies have MORE chance of making a sale.

This is not about wanting to watch a specific movie - its about having some media to show off your new-fangled handware/TV. No one with a HD-DVD player is going to say "Ohh - this movie only comes on on BluRay - I better buy a player" - they will just buy the DVD instead, and complain to their retailer.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
Hus said:

Since the high-def format's inception -- HD DVD launched in April 2006, while Blu-ray got rolling two months later -- more than 2.14 million discs have been purchased by consumers: 1.2 million Blu-ray Discs and about 937,500 HD DVDs.

lol you really are a kiddy joke.

Meh, the whole Blu-Ray/HD-DVD thing is just a battle to become the next laserdisc anyway.  Most people with DVD players are happy with them and don't want an expensive new player with minimal improvement and no record function.  I don't think either will be successful in the end except with the techno-geek people.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Around the Network
shams said:
Kwaad said:
ckmlb said:

You are still missing the point, aren't you...

The companies that support HD-DVD are doing WELL, and are EXTREMELY happy with its performance. As long as this continues - and they keep bringing in the profit (which is MORE money than they would with BluRay) there is no reason for them to switch over.

Even if BluRay players outnumber HD-DVD players 3:1 - the number of companies/support for BluRay may outnumber it 10:1. So... when someone wants to buy a movie that runs on their BluRay player, these companies have MORE chance of making a sale.

This is not about wanting to watch a specific movie - its about having some media to show off your new-fangled handware/TV. No one with a HD-DVD player is going to say "Ohh - this movie only comes on on BluRay - I better buy a player" - they will just buy the DVD instead, and complain to their retailer.

So what your saying is. No matter who wins, the customer looses. Kinda like, in HD the customer always looses too right? Kidna like buying a 500$ sound system... everyone looses. Or buying a computer... everyone looses... Hell, buying food. Everyone looses.

Dude. You should explain yourself, and make some sense, becuase it would be hard to make less sense than you just did. Oh, yeah, BTW, the companies that support both, are happier with their BluRay performance than HD-DVD. The HD-DVD exclusive companies are MUCH happier with their HD-DVD sales than their BluRay sales. Mainly because it is ∞:0.

(twirls finger in air)

The future of video will not be based on what kind of disc it's stored on.  The future is all about downloadable content.  I think both high definition physical formats will remain more of a niche-like product than becoming a mainstream one.  I also project that regular DVDs will continue to dominate the market place for disc-based video content for many more years than most of you care to admit.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

I dont like downloading 10-20gb of data to watch a 2 hour movie. With *my* broadband connection that would take around 8hours. I personally am not willing to do that, at least not if I pay for it.

Downloadable content is not here for the mainstream, and it won't be for a few years at least.

I don't know about BR/HDDVD though either...I can see more advanced disc formats coming out in a couple years...who knows.

All I know is I'm not buying into it now. Blu Ray has not yet won, though it is doing better. When one of the formats can take over DVD, then they have won in my opinion. Personally, I like HD-DVDs because they tend to come with DVDs in a combo...very nice for watching if there's no HD player handy...or for buying now and getting an HD-DVD player later.

EDIT:  Kwaad, what's with the Lucas quote?  Is that supposed to be powerful words against the Wii?  Or what...it just seems like an answer to what the Wii's capabilities are... 

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

shams said:
Hus said:

The resistance to DVD was much greater ...how long did it take DVD sales to hit 2 million....and there was no format war