By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - VGChartz PC Deals Thread - Guild Wars 2 $10 US this weekend (75% off)

Question: Is the gameplay in Fallout 3 similar to the gameplay of The Elder Scrolls?

I'm asking because it's on offer and I want to try it, but I didn't like Oblivion so if both games/franchises have similar gameplay then I won't waste money buying it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:

Question: Is the gameplay in Fallout 3 similar to the gameplay of The Elder Scrolls?

I'm asking because it's on offer and I want to try it, but I didn't like Oblivion so if both games/franchises have similar gameplay then I won't waste money buying it.

Hated Oblivion with a passion, but loved Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

Although the mechanics and gameplay are quite similar, the atmosphere is totally different. I'd say go for it, it's a really good game.

brendude13 said:
JEMC said:

Although the mechanics and gameplay are quite similar, the atmosphere is totally different. I'd say go for it, it's a really good game.

Thanks.

I'll probably get it, it's only 5 € for the GOTY edition.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
brendude13 said:

Thanks.

I'll probably get it, it's only 5 € for the GOTY edition.

The GOTY edition will come with a tonne of DLC too.

JEMC said:

Well it's the same engine and dev team so their are similarities, but the focus on guns and the addition of the VATs system means the combat plays quite differently. The quest and dialog structure however is very close so if that is what bothered you in Oblivion then that is still an issue. However the setting and tone of the writing is very different.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
zarx said:
JEMC said:

Well it's the same engine and dev team so their are similarities, but the focus on guns and the addition of the VATs system means the combat plays quite differently. The quest and dialog structure however is very close so if that is what bothered you in Oblivion then that is still an issue. However the setting and tone of the writing is very different.

Hmm.

My problem with Oblivion is that I couldn't get into it. I started in that cell, see the King passing by telling I don't know what about a vision, then escaping through those secret passage and finally reaching the outside and then... nothing. Why should I go to that other side of the map? Because the King said so? And who am I and why should I do it?

I don't know how to explain it. I wasn't compelled to do what I was supposed to do so the game lost me.

Does Fallout 3 (or New Vegas) start the same way or do you know why you are doing the things you do?

JEMC said:

Hmm.

My problem with Oblivion is that I couldn't get into it. I started in that cell, see the King passing by telling I don't know what about a vision, then escaping through those secret passage and finally reaching the outside and then... nothing. Why should I go to that other side of the map? Because the King said so? And who am I and why should I do it?

I don't know how to explain it. I wasn't compelled to do what I was supposed to do so the game lost me.

Does Fallout 3 (or New Vegas) start the same way or do you know why you are doing the things you do?

I haven't played NV but Fallout 3 has a pretty similar introduction and of course the trademark open world. I feel it does a bit better at driving you forwad in the main quest than Oblivion did, but it's very similar in it's aproach. If your are the kind of gamer that needs a strong motivation pushing you in one specific direction you could likely have the same problem. All Bethesda's RPGs are built around openess and freedom to do whatever you want at any time, which naturally leads to a lack of strong motivation pushing you in any one specific direction. They are sandboxes meant to let you fuck around and make your own fun as much as anything, and the side missions are often more compelling than the "main quest" line it's self. But as I said the main quest is a little more compelling than the one in Oblivion, however I never did finnish it lol (or the one in Oblivio) so take that how you will.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

zarx said:
JEMC said:

Hmm.

I haven't played NV but Fallout 3 has a pretty similar introduction and of course the trademark open world. I feel it does a bit better at driving you forwad in the main quest than Oblivion did, but it's very similar in it's aproach. If your are the kind of gamer that needs a strong motivation pushing you in one specific direction you could likely have the same problem. All Bethesda's RPGs are built around openess and freedom to do whatever you want at any time, which naturally leads to a lack of strong motivation pushing you in any one specific direction. They are sandboxes meant to let you fuck around and make your own fun as much as anything, and the side missions are often more compelling than the "main quest" line it's self. But as I said the main quest is a little more compelling than the one in Oblivion, however I never did finnish it lol (or the one in Oblivio) so take that how you will.

Bummer .

I don't need much, just knowing who my character is supposed to be and why it is supposed to do the things it has to do.

And the fact that they are sandbox games is not an excuse. GTA or even the madness that is Saints Row tell you that (you are X and your objective is find who send you to prision, killed your family, conquer the city, etc.) while giving you extra content with side-quests or minigames to keep you busy.

I think I'll go to youtube and watch the first minutes, and then decide if I like it or not.

JEMC said:

Bummer .

I don't need much, just knowing who my character is supposed to be and why it is supposed to do the things it has to do.

And the fact that they are sandbox games is not an excuse. GTA or even the madness that is Saints Row tell you that (you are X and your objective is find who send you to prision, killed your family, conquer the city, etc.) while giving you extra content with side-quests or minigames to keep you busy.

I think I'll go to youtube and watch the first minutes, and then decide if I like it or not.

The design phelosophy of GTA is very different from Bethesda's. GTA is more a main narative with a sandbox around it, where as Bethesda is much more about creating your own story, with many different self contained plot lines as well as the simple generic style missions. It's not so much an excuse as it is a different aproach to game design, both have their merits IMO.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Ooh! Castle Crashers at 75% off is pretty tempting...
Dishonored is as well, but I can wait until next year for it to be even cheaper.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash