By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can MS afford to launch last if they want to be no.1?

All the rumors point to Sony launching their next console last not MS. Either way I don't think it would be too bad because it would mean that the console will be at least a significant leap in capabilities over the Wii U. Also the overcome the RROD and other problems this gen to finish strong so I don't think launching last would be any worse.

Around the Network
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:

I believe so. However, knowing that MS is a profit company, they would probably launch a lower standard, cheaper console.

they won't,don't worry(if you worried)

How does a 4 million lead for Sony in europe and a 13 million lead in America for MS null each other out again?

WII Code: 1732 3363 1704 6441

mitlar37 said:
How does a 4 million lead for Sony in europe and a 13 million lead in America for MS null each other out again?

Throw Japan in there and they null each other out.  It's pretty much NA vs the rest of the world when it comes to M$ and Sony sales.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

mitlar37 said:

The difference in X360's favour is because it launched a year earlier than PS3 in America and year and a half in Europe. If they had launched at the same time (the point of this thread) the PS3 would be well ahead of X360.

If you look at this week's (and most weeks') sales, you'll realise that PS3 outsells X360 in Europe by quite a wider margin than X360 outsells PS3 in NA. Throw in Japan and you have PS3 selling noticeably better than X360.

The point is without a headstart and if trends continue into next gen, the next console from MS is gonna have a hard time being no.1.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
There are short term trends, like looking at sales just this gen, and there are long term trends like looking at multiple generations. If you do that you see that the Xbox 360 sold tons more than the original Xbox while the PS3 has sold less than the PS2 and less than the PSX. Xbox is expanding and Playstation is contracting.

Last gen a developer could produce a PS2 game and not feel the need to port it. The PS2 was an island in and of itself. Now 3rd party devs can't rely on the PS3. They don't just need to port it to Xbox 360, but instead often see their biggest sales outside of PS3.

The market has changed, there is no longer a dominating machine with a monopoly on the market. It's a three horse race from now on and you should expect a photo finish.

The Genesis and SNES era featured a dead heat between the two consoles. The next gen? Playstation dominated and there was no competition. So just because this gen went a certain way, doesn't mean next gen will follow that trend.

Troll_Whisperer said:
mitlar37 said:

The difference in X360's favour is because it launched a year earlier than PS3 in America and year and a half in Europe. If they had launched at the same time (the point of this thread) the PS3 would be well ahead of X360.

If you look at this week's (and most weeks') sales, you'll realise that PS3 outsells X360 in Europe by quite a wider margin than X360 outsells PS3 in NA. Throw in Japan and you have PS3 selling noticeably better than X360.

The point is without a headstart and if trends continue into next gen, the next console from MS is gonna have a hard time being no.1.

Not in America - besides hasn't ms said they would release their next console "1 day before Sony"?

http://www.gamezone.com/products/xbox-720/news/xbox-720-developers-summit-allegedly-taking-place-in-london

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/microsoft-working-on-next-generation-xbox-durango-223535

mitlar37 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
mitlar37 said:

Not in America - besides hasn't ms said they would release their next console "1 day before Sony"?

Bolded: WW is what matters obviously, not America.

Italics: Check the link in the OP, Sony said they'll release first. Even if they didn't, 1 day early is still losing last gen's headstart.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Troll_Whisperer said:
mitlar37 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
mitlar37 said:

Bolded: WW is what matters obviously, not America.

Italics: Check the link in the OP, Sony said they'll release first. Even if they didn't, 1 day early is still losing last gen's headstart.

Your opinion - Japan doesn't matter to MS since they stopped selling there.

prayformojo said:
kain_kusanagi said:
There are short term trends, like looking at sales just this gen, and there are long term trends like looking at multiple generations. If you do that you see that the Xbox 360 sold tons more than the original Xbox while the PS3 has sold less than the PS2 and less than the PSX. Xbox is expanding and Playstation is contracting.

Last gen a developer could produce a PS2 game and not feel the need to port it. The PS2 was an island in and of itself. Now 3rd party devs can't rely on the PS3. They don't just need to port it to Xbox 360, but instead often see their biggest sales outside of PS3.

The market has changed, there is no longer a dominating machine with a monopoly on the market. It's a three horse race from now on and you should expect a photo finish.

The Genesis and SNES era featured a dead heat between the two consoles. The next gen? Playstation dominated and there was no competition. So just because this gen went a certain way, doesn't mean next gen will follow that trend.

You are right, the PSX hit the market and crushed both Nintendo and Sega. Nobody expected that, it was a huge surprise to see Nintendo and Sega drop to 2nd and 3rd place to a company that had no experience in the video game hardware market. Sega never recovered.

But I don't expect a new player in the race next gen. Some people think Apple will enter the gaming space and some point, but I don't. I'm going with what is known. Wii U, NextBox, PS4 are going to be on the market and I expect a three way split even more even than this generation.