By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Zelda games have voice acting?

Should Zelda games have voice acting?

Yes!! reading is boring! 32 24.81%

Yes, but keep Link silent forever!! 60 46.51%

No, it will destroy the franchise!! 37 28.68%

Total:129

I only want the text to appear faster or better yet instantly with a button press. I always interrupt the voice acting anyway, reading is a lot faster instead of waiting for the boring voice actor to finish his lines.
Hearing the same couple of voices in each town in Skyrim saying the same things over and over is not that desirable.

Around the Network

I think the ppl who wish for voice acting or thinks that it would only improve the game are the same kind of person who think the Lord of the Ring movies are better than the books.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

SvennoJ said:
I only want the text to appear faster or better yet instantly with a button press. I always interrupt the voice acting anyway, reading is a lot faster instead of waiting for the boring voice actor to finish his lines.
Hearing the same couple of voices in each town in Skyrim saying the same things over and over is not that desirable.

Yeah. Skyward sword was probably the worst offender in the Zelda universe of slow unspeadupable text.

there is nothing wrong with having an option in the options menu that says

voice acting ON OFF.

you can than decide lol.

this will keep the harcore who dont want it happy and the people who do want it happy.

The Zelda series already has voice acting. The Happy Mask Salesman's voice from Majora's Mask still gives me nightmares.

Around the Network

In a non-fictional language!? Hell no! Unintelligible voices with subtitles are just perfect. They allow us to enjoy localizations more faithful to the original material. This way, the products are also cheaper to develop, and faster to be published in other countries.

I was just thinking exact the opposite when playing Gravity Rush: "...man, how awesome they didn't have to ruin this one with another awful American dubbing...". That's one of the reasons I loved Twilight Princess (although Midna's voice is pretty annoying).

Is there something difficult about reading? I can't watch a movie if it's not in its original language...

No, the Zelda franchise does not need voice acting. It would ruin the brand. Think about what voice acting has done to the Final Fantasy franchise. If you don't get good voice actors who are consistent and believable, it really ruins the experience. Seriously, listening to Hope and Vanille in FF13 was so horrible, I just don't want them to input a fairy for Link who sounds like Hope, someone who sounds whiny.

In my opinion, the voice work done for Fi was incredible to me, it really doesn't need to go beyond that. If devs don't want to splurge on good voice actors, the game gets ruined pretty easily. Only reason I would go for Legend of Zelda having voice work is if the actors for it are exceptional and make me think "This guy is Link, or Zelda." Otherwise, him not speaking, and Zelda's acting is as believable as anything.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward = best game ever made.

Link needs to remain silent no matter what.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)