By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU Confirmed specs from SDK and GPU info: DirectX 11 features!

Galaki said:

You're doing it wrong. I don't need long explanation. Just tell me if it's d0m3d or not and that's good enough for me.

*smacks his own face* oh yeah... k

It's d0m3d. Did I do it right?

Nintendo is d0m3d1. ?

Ah, I give up

Around the Network

Not quite specific, but there's some pretty good info, not for the graphics that i don't really care, but for the stability of the frame rate.

I think this consoles will be the first that can have 1080p stable at 30fps, not in the first year of course but when developers will learn how to do games they can do it that way.

Spiders den are not for men.

My gaming channel: Stefano and the Spiders.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiSpider87?feature=mhum

happydolphin said:

As far as the processor... their dumed

When it comes to graphics, hmmm Nintendo is kind of d0med.

When it comes to memory... their body is ready. But the SDK mentions that they are doomed "Note: retail machine will have half devkit memory. Please note that the quantity of memory available from the Cafe SDK and Operating System may vary." (i.e. Nintendo is doomed)

When it comes to features? DOOMED

Networking -> Doomed

Peripherals... ehhh... "okay" I guess?

Built-in storage - Hard Doomed

Host PC Bridge. Here I have to explain. Since the SDK provides details, it gets a little more unclear. Let's see if I can analyze it for you:

"Allows File System emulation by host PC."

In other words it requires a PC to work. So, it's doomed.

In terms of support from id Software? Doomed.

Wait, now I'm confused, are they supporting it, or not?

zero129 said:
What i expect is the the WiiU will be like the Dreamcast was to the PS2 when it comes to graphic levels of the WiiU vs Nextbox/PS4

It the specs are right, and the hidden specs are in the normal range (means the CPU has around 3GHZ) than it would be more like PS2 (Wii U) to GameCube (Xbox8).

zarx said:
lilbroex said:

Clock speeds wouldn't make much differences anyway and haven't for nearly 10 years. Thats like comparing a core-i3 to a pentium D with th esame clock. That clock will make little difference in the power. We know that the Power7 runs circles around the cell and the cel lthe runs circles around the the power5.

We know that GPU is at least 2 generations ahead of the ones in th PS3 and 360, and the specs suggest that its uses technology that even further advanced than that. The overall effective power is "close" to 3 times the capability within reason.

Actually clock speeds make a huge difference a Power 7 at 0.1Ghz is going to be slower than one at 3Ghz and a 3 core Power 7 chip at 1GHz is going to be slower than the Xenon at 3.2Ghz. There are other important factors and it's not really useful for compairing 2 different CPU architectures but it is still the main factor that determines how fast a CPU is hence the popularity of overclocking. 

Nice taking what I said far out of context to a nonexistant, impossible extreme.. because I was obviously talking about the same processor vs. itself as opposed to versus different generation witha  level of power comsumtion that isn't even possibe...

Around the Network
lilbroex said:
zarx said:
lilbroex said:

Clock speeds wouldn't make much differences anyway and haven't for nearly 10 years. Thats like comparing a core-i3 to a pentium D with th esame clock. That clock will make little difference in the power. We know that the Power7 runs circles around the cell and the cel lthe runs circles around the the power5.

We know that GPU is at least 2 generations ahead of the ones in th PS3 and 360, and the specs suggest that its uses technology that even further advanced than that. The overall effective power is "close" to 3 times the capability within reason.

Actually clock speeds make a huge difference a Power 7 at 0.1Ghz is going to be slower than one at 3Ghz and a 3 core Power 7 chip at 1GHz is going to be slower than the Xenon at 3.2Ghz. There are other important factors and it's not really useful for compairing 2 different CPU architectures but it is still the main factor that determines how fast a CPU is hence the popularity of overclocking. 

Nice taking what I said far out of context to a nonexistant, impossible extreme.. because I was obviously talking about the same processor vs. itself as opposed to versus different generation witha  level of power comsumtion that isn't even possibe...

Wut?
read the entire quote chain again 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

3 Cores means sufficient amount of multi-thread processing support
3GB of system memory and I suppose 1.5GB for consumer version if 1/2 of dev-kit version would be nearly 3x PS3 or X360
32MB really fast video memory they still keeping which is good
6 channels of sound very slightly disappointed unless I misunderstand if that means it doesn't support 7.1 surround sound
512MB storage for System (great that system is separate and on-board)
8GB storage for Application (perfect for starter) 
Add any USB HDD for additional Application storage best solution in class... I will likely get a 1-2TB Western Digital Passport Drive (USB Powered)

The Wii U tech specs I think will be more than adequate. I know what PS3 software looked like in 1st year and first 2 years from most 3rd party were pretty poor. The Wii U launch software looking stellar out the gate so it will only get better.

I must say, Nintendo are doing pretty damn well spinning this. They're doing the right thing. Holding back information, then when they announce specs they'll (hopefully) be at the higher end, or above, of predictions. But for now, it gets the word out. And that's the important thing.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
I must say, Nintendo are doing pretty damn well spinning this. They're doing the right thing. Holding back information, then when they announce specs they'll (hopefully) be at the higher end, or above, of predictions. But for now, it gets the word out. And that's the important thing.

Nintendo won't release the specs

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Conegamer said:

To extend zarx's response... Nintendo never talks about their system specs, for any of their systems. Usually, solid specs for systems are only confirmed by people doing a lot of physical investigation of the system and, even then, it's half speculation.

Whenever Nintendo are asked, their response is almost always "We don't consider raw system specs to be of any relevance". The closest they ever come is reference to capability - things like "capable of running <engine>" or "able to do tesselations".

And it's unlikely that Nintendo is doing any sort of spin or leaking in all of this - the gaming media is just so obsessed with the specs numbers that half of them get invented, and the other half get leaked by third-parties.