By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Blu-Rays may not be big enough for Square-Enix

I am not looking forward to downloading 50GB+ games in the next 5 years...

Around the Network
JEMC said:

A few days ago, the site RPGSite had the chance to interview Yoshihisa Hashimoto, the Chief Technical Officer at S-E and the guy who made the Luminous Engine Demo.

You can read the whole interview here: http://www.rpgsite.net/articles/393-square-enix-luminous-studio-interview

But among other things, he said this:

RPG Site: So you're saying assets created for CG can be bought straight down into the game and the reverse in this new engine?
Hashimoto: Yeah, that's what we're expecting to do. For the backgrounds used in this - the mountains, the houses - we are using exactly the same assets as are used in the Visual Works CG version.

Of course, it's too massive of a data to use in a game as-is, but I think the look and feel will probably remain. If we had time, we could've compressed the data even smaller. We didn't have time to do that, so we just used the same master data - but it can definitely be reduced.

RPG Site: Do you think that disc space is going to be an issue, then, even on Blu-ray?
Hashimoto: Yeah, that could be a challenge. There's a possibility that just one Blu-ray may not be sufficient.

RPG Site: Back to the PS1 days!
Hashimoto: [laughs] Yeah. We have to really consider the mechanism of compressing the data carefully.

Really? 25/50 GB is not enough for them?

Hopefully Sony supports the quad layer Blu-ray disks next gen.

I hope they go back to pre-rendered cut scenes or do a blend of pre-rendered back ground with your characters placed inside the scenes.
One of the reasons I didn't buy FF13-2 was because they switched to in engine cut scenes. Say whatever you want about the final fantasy series, but half of it's appeal is the cutting edge cgi animations as a reward for getting further in the game. You simply can not do the same things in engine, not next gen or the gen beyond.
This gen I find myself clicking away most cut scenes because most of the time they're just boring, restricted by the game engine and only showing off all it's flaws while you're closely paying attention to all the missing details.
Plus playing a cinematic while loading the next section is much better then empty pauses between cut scenes.

I want cut scenes to be a glimpse into the future again, to what games might look like in 10 years time. Stick em on multiple blu-ray discs, uncompromised 1080p60 with lossless 7.1. Show of all the art work instead of the filtered down heavily compressed stuff we usually get.

Start making 90+ metacritic games and earn back your lost reputation, then focus on making gigabytes of CG cutscenes

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

that's going to be one epic game.

Around the Network

Also if they make huge 100gb games, then I hope that they focus their time on the largeness of the world rather then cgi scenes. Imagine an open world final fantasy game 10 times bigger then skyrim.

SvennoJ said:
I hope they go back to pre-rendered cut scenes or do a blend of pre-rendered back ground with your characters placed inside the scenes.
One of the reasons I didn't buy FF13-2 was because they switched to in engine cut scenes. Say whatever you want about the final fantasy series, but half of it's appeal is the cutting edge cgi animations as a reward for getting further in the game. You simply can not do the same things in engine, not next gen or the gen beyond.
This gen I find myself clicking away most cut scenes because most of the time they're just boring, restricted by the game engine and only showing off all it's flaws while you're closely paying attention to all the missing details.
Plus playing a cinematic while loading the next section is much better then empty pauses between cut scenes.

I want cut scenes to be a glimpse into the future again, to what games might look like in 10 years time. Stick em on multiple blu-ray discs, uncompromised 1080p60 with lossless 7.1. Show of all the art work instead of the filtered down heavily compressed stuff we usually get.

If I ever skip a cutscene is either because I've seen it before (so I've been killed and I don't have the mood to see it again), or because it's boring. CGI or in-game doesn't bother me.

With that said, I always liked the spectacular intros that were made during the PS1 and PS2 era. Capcom did some stunning intros back then, but when it comes to cut-scenes during the game, I prefer the engine-rendered ones as they load faster and, once finished and back to the real game, don't leave you with a bad taste in your mouth (great graphics => normal graphics can be disappointing).

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Sony, Pioneer and other major companys are already working on 1TB version of bluray discs to release in 2013

SE must deliver on AAA games that are fun to play. Please no more mediocre games like FFXIII and FFXIII-2 with CGI cut scenes that take up lots of GBs.

JEMC said:

If I ever skip a cutscene is either because I've seen it before (so I've been killed and I don't have the mood to see it again), or because it's boring. CGI or in-game doesn't bother me.

With that said, I always liked the spectacular intros that were made during the PS1 and PS2 era. Capcom did some stunning intros back then, but when it comes to cut-scenes during the game, I prefer the engine-rendered ones as they load faster and, once finished and back to the real game, don't leave you with a bad taste in your mouth (great graphics => normal graphics can be disappointing).

There are plenty of development related reasons to prefer inengine cutscense as well, big FF style CGI can take months to render so in a fluid enviroment like game development that means once you have the CGI locked in you have to stick to that as part of the story or lose thousands of $$$ worth of work. Also in engine cutscenes allow you to bring in the wepons and clothing that your ingame character is using into the cutscenes and it also allows devs the ability to have more branching games and have player decisions reflected in cutscenes if it's that kind of game. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!