By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Blu-Rays may not be big enough for Square-Enix

Ghutto said:
Just put the games on SDXC. (bye bye disk consoles)

Problem solved.

lol

Sure, because SDXC cards of 25/50 GB would be cheap...

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Well if they are using the same assets as the pre-rendered CGI movies I could see that being true. All the raw visual assets for Avatar was over 1 petabyte. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within used 15 terabytes. Still 50+ GB is pretty insane for a videogame, I seriously doubt they will be using 4-8 million poly models (vs 4-30 thousand) with 130712x130712 lossless textures (vs 512x512 this gen).

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

TruckOSaurus said:
They should focus on playable game content instead of making incredibly well rendered mountains.

But gameplay has nothing to do with a graphics tech demo, give them the benefit of the doubt that they are paying as much attention to the gameplay as they are the visuals. We've yet to see anything to suggest otherwise.

JEMC said:

A few days ago, the site RPGSite had the chance to interview Yoshihisa Hashimoto, the Chief Technical Officer at S-E and the guy who made the Luminous Engine Demo.

You can read the whole interview here: http://www.rpgsite.net/articles/393-square-enix-luminous-studio-interview

But among other things, he said this:

RPG Site: So you're saying assets created for CG can be bought straight down into the game and the reverse in this new engine?
Hashimoto: Yeah, that's what we're expecting to do. For the backgrounds used in this - the mountains, the houses - we are using exactly the same assets as are used in the Visual Works CG version.

Of course, it's too massive of a data to use in a game as-is, but I think the look and feel will probably remain. If we had time, we could've compressed the data even smaller. We didn't have time to do that, so we just used the same master data - but it can definitely be reduced.

RPG Site: Do you think that disc space is going to be an issue, then, even on Blu-ray?
Hashimoto: Yeah, that could be a challenge. There's a possibility that just one Blu-ray may not be sufficient.

RPG Site: Back to the PS1 days!
Hashimoto: [laughs] Yeah. We have to really consider the mechanism of compressing the data carefully.

Really? 25/50 GB is not enough for them?

Kojima cried already with Metal Gear Solid 4 the BluRay is far to small in terms of space.
Next Gen we will see the 1st Multidisk 50GB BluRay Games...

And i don't see the reason why you should compress or let things out.
If it is possible than do it - Lossless audio and stuff is for me pretty important and i know it takes a huge amount of space and so do NATIVE 1080p FMVs...FF13 showed how much they can use of the space alone with that (beautiful) crap...30GB of a 38GB game only video data...Lets see how much Luminous with a native resolution will use up.

Hopefully M$ is really using BluRay too and supports of course 50GB Disks...But would be funny with DVDs to be honest*g*

teigaga said:
TruckOSaurus said:
They should focus on playable game content instead of making incredibly well rendered mountains.

But gameplay has nothing to do with a graphics tech demo, give them the benefit of the doubt that they are paying as much attention to the gameplay as they are the visuals. We've yet to see anything to suggest otherwise.

Final Fantasy XIII begs to differ.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
JEMC said:
haxxiy said:

I don't think games will go far beyond 20-25 GB discounting CGI due to production costs, however there's a lot fo stuff that's compressed and could benefit from the extra space... I think? Textures for instance are apparently compressed 100:1.

I'm no expert, but wouldn't that bring another problem?

I mean, now the drive reads the textures compressed, then the the CPU or whatever decompresses them and then they are used. Assuming that the slower part of that operation is probably the one involving the drive reading the textures from the disc, if the console has to read the textures uncompressed from the disc, wouldn't that take longer?

Yeah, on a second thought it would require an insanely fast drive, probably above 300 MB/s of reading time. I don't think we are going to see these speeds too soon.

YukanaSenix said:

Kojima cried already with Metal Gear Solid 4 the BluRay is far to small in terms of space.
Next Gen we will see the 1st Multidisk 50GB BluRay Games...

And i don't see the reason why you should compress or let things out.
If it is possible than do it - Lossless audio and stuff is for me pretty important and i know it takes a huge amount of space and so do NATIVE 1080p FMVs...FF13 showed how much they can use of the space alone with that (beautiful) crap...30GB of a 38GB game only video data...Lets see how much Luminous with a native resolution will use up.

Hopefully M$ is really using BluRay too and supports of course 50GB Disks...But would be funny with DVDs to be honest*g*

Oh, no one is dumb enough to go with DVDs again.

And what a coincidence that only the ones that loves making movies* seem to have problems with space. Maybe they should start ditching FMVs and use the engine to render them as many games do admirably. Or at least use them only for the intro.

*yes, it's an exaggeration, but that's what it seems sometimes.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

and people want to go digital lol

fuck downloading 100gb game.

Why not? How much disc space can it possibly require to announce games and never release them?

TruckOSaurus said:
teigaga said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Final Fantasy XIII begs to differ.

Final Fantasy XIII involved the biggest changes in a frachise history where it comes to the battle system. Regardless of whether you like it or not (The vast majority of critics praised the system), such a big change doesn't occur through them neglecting gameplay. What they need to do is put the same amount of attention they into the battle system, into the gameplay outside of battle. FFXIII was my least favourite, I will just consider it a failed experiement (with the increased linearity which was intentional) but I'm not worried about the franchise, as long as they continue taking risks.