By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bad games this gen with great graphics

Crysis and FFXIII. Both highly disappointing.

Oh, and COD games. The newer ones.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
AndrewWK said:
I hate Threads like this. Most people use them to troll great games, especially PS3 and Xbox360 exclusives. Games like Gears of War, God of War and Skyrim are obviously great games, and everybody knows that. And I don´t understand what those people wanna achieve by trolling them. There are many very bad games like Homefront and Inversion, but no those idiots keep trolling some of the games.

well,

these big games have the biggest expectations and therefore the biggest disappointment factor if they turn out to be experiences you are already used to or you don't enjoy as much as hoped

and ofc they just sell more, so there are more people who tried them

AndrewWK said:
I hate Threads like this. Most people use them to troll great games, especially PS3 and Xbox360 exclusives. Games like Gears of War, God of War and Skyrim are obviously great games, and everybody knows that. And I don´t understand what those people wanna achieve by trolling them. There are many very bad games like Homefront and Inversion, but no those idiots keep trolling some of the games.

Have you ever considered that they might actually have a different opinion to you, and that doesn't make them idiots?

Alos, I forgot to mention Red Dead Redemption. Such a boring game.

AndrewWK said:

I really liked Skyrim, but to say that it is "obviously" a great game is ridiculous.  As for God of War, which I mentioned earlier in this thread, you can call me a troll if you want, but I hated those games.  They were boring from a gameplay standpoint and ridiculous from a storytelling standpoint.  If you think I am just trolling that is your issue, but I own a PS3, it is the only console I play, and I am extremely happy with it.  I am not out to get PS3 exclusives, and there are plenty of PS3 exclusives that I like a lot.  For instance, I love the Uncharted series, but you don't see me in here calling everyone who listed Uncharted a troll.

Tastes differ, and there is absolutely no such thing as an "obviously great" game.  One man's treasure is another person's trash.  I found God of War trashy in every way that a game can be trashy, and that doesn't make me a troll no matter how much you liked it yourself.  As for Homefront and Inversion, I have never even heard of either of those games, much less played them, and like someone else said, you can only comment on what you've played.  To me, the God of War series had the highest gap between graphical quality and gameplay/story quality of any game this gen.

curl-6 said:
AndrewWK said:

Have you ever considered that they might actually have a different opinion to you, and that doesn't make them idiots?

This is not about me, it is about the games overall. If a game gets great reviews is acclaimed by fans, and sold multi million copies, then this game is good. I don´t like GTA or Skyrim, they are overrated imo but I would never say those are bad games. Because obviously they are not. If people have an own opinion does not make them idiots, making wrong claims does.

Around the Network
TadpoleJackson said:
axumblade said:
I have to say Just Cause 2..It's not necessarily a bad game but I've played about 20 hours of the game and I still have no clue what the hell I'm doing. I just like blowing things up and gliding through the trees. :/

I'm in the same boat. I'm 11 hours in and I've completed 3 stronghold missions and that's about it. 

On topic: I wasn't a big fan of Gears or Killzone 2 

Well, that's too bad. I actually loved the game for not taking itself serious and being a blast. I had a lot of fun with it.

On topic, eventhough I consider it's multiplayer as the best around (next to B:BC2), I have to point my finger at Battlefield 3´s campaign. It's broken and needed much polishing, gameplay wise.

AndrewWK said:
curl-6 said:
AndrewWK said:

This is not about me, it is about the games overall. If a game gets great reviews is acclaimed by fans, and sold multi million copies, then this game is good. I don´t like GTA or Skyrim, they are overrated imo but I would never say those are bad games. Because obviously they are not. If people have an own opinion does not make them idiots, making wrong claims does.

"Good" x= "Successful"

Whether a game is good or not is a matter of subjective opinion.  Whether a game is successful or not is a matter of objective fact.  God of War, for instance, was obviously successful insofar as it sold a relatively high number of copies and made a large amount of profits.  By your backwards logic, though, I could just as easily say that God of War is objectively bad because the vast majority of PS3 owners did not support the game with a purchase.  THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN.

Do you see how wrong-headed that argument is?  There is absolutely no metric by which a game can be objectively determined "good" or "bad".

Lafiel said:
AndrewWK said:

well,

these big games have the biggest expectations and therefore the biggest disappointment factor if they turn out to be experiences you are already used to or you don't enjoy as much as hoped

and ofc they just sell more, so there are more people who tried them

It unfortunately often happens that these games are just disliked without actually be given a fair chance. There are enough people that will have the "cool kid" simply on value of their own bigoted world views. I'm not saying it's the case here, just that it happens and you can't blame anyone for expecting that some of the hate be born from just this sort of thing.

I disagree with most of the posts here simply because I'm not seeing any really convincing arguments from my perspective.  God of War gameplay boring and repetitive...not for me on Titan; Gears of War boring as gameplay...still a lot of fun as you run and gun, gives you a sense of empowerement often absent in a lot of games; Crysis boring and mediocre...and still offered enough fun in experimenting with powers and exploring entries into basses, via stealth or brute force; Red Dead Redemption boring because of long dialogues and following sections...and still featured one of the most fleshed out stories we've seen this generation, with one of the most compelling characters I've ever seen this side of literature...etc, the examples can continue. 

I personally have some difficulty thinking of a bad game with good graphics honestly. Not because there aren't - there are enough of them -, but because I generally find enough good in a game to keep playing. Even Bulletstorm was batshit fun for the most time, Fable 2 managed to have a few moments even if the game was mediocre at best, Killzone 2 had GREAT design for the world it presented - highly subjective matter - and so on.

I think that if you look at a game from the proper angle you may find something extremely attactive just about anywhere. Except maybe Amy...

man I'm glad saying MP3 is shit isn't divisive

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

FF13: sorry but it was just toooo boring

GT5 was such a disappointment.. not a bad game but not exactly good either

And Assassins Creed 1