By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Post Your Favorite 80s Songs

Had a hard time finding something from the 80s that hasn't already been posted (I am too tired to think atm) but have been enjoying this cheeky little song from late 90's - Bomfunk MC's - Freestyler

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network

My favourites:

Two greatest 80's song.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

How bout some U2?

Gotta give it to Metallica for this classic.

^_^

All 80s metal

Around the Network

Songs? I could easily list several hundreds I love....well not easily, it would take me far more time than the list below.

I'll list my favorite albums instead (and yes, I bought them all - in the 80s, on vinyl):
ABC - Lexikon of Love (the most pretentious and best of all those great early 80s UK new romantic pop albums)
Anita Baker - Rapture
David Bowie - Let's Dance
Kate Bush - Never for Ever, The Dreaming, Hounds of Love, The Sensual World (female artist of the decade)
The Cure - The Head on the Door, Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me, Disintegration
Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward, Music for the Masses, Violator (I count Violator as the most perfect 80s pop album even though it was released in March 1990)
Dexy's Midnight Runners - Too Rye Ay
Dire Straits - Lover Over Gold (the only DS album I really like)
Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
Einstürzende Neubauten - Halber Mensch
The Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams Are Made of This
Aretha Franklin - Who's Zoomin' Who?
Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel (1980), Peter Gabriel (1982), So
Marvin Gaye - Midnight Love
Heaven 17 - Penthouse & Pavement, The Luxury Gap
Hüsker Dü - Zen Arcade
Joe Jackson - Night and Day
Joy Division - Closer
Kraftwerk - Computerwelt
Living Color - Vivid
Madness - Complete Madness
New Order - Substance
Randy Newman - Trouble in Paradise
The Pixies - Doolittle
The Police - Synchronicity
Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen, From Langley Park to Memphis (in the 80s Paddy McAloon was one of the world's best best pop songwriters)
Pretenders - Pretenders
Prince - Purple Rain, Around the World in A Day, Parade, Sign o' the Times, LoveSexy
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
R.E.M. - Document
Lou Reed - New York
Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson
Roxy Music - Avalon
Sade - Diamond Life
Scritti Politti - Cupid & Psyche 85
The Smiths - Strangeways Here We Come
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
The Style Council - Café Bleu, Our Favorite Shop
Bruce Springsteen - Live/1975-85
Sting - The Dream of the Blue Turtles
David Sylvian - Gone to Earth, Secrets of the Beehive
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden (probably the most surprising album of the 80s, a timeless masterpiece no one would have expected from this band)
Talking Heads- Remain in Light, Speaking in Tongues, Stop Making Sense, Naked
Tears For Fears -The Hurting
The The - Soul Mining
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
The Waterboys - This is the Sea
Stevie Wonder - Original Musiquarium I (original release: 1982; technically it's not a regular 80s release as it contains almost only 70s music, but it's one of the best Best of albums ever released and will forever be among most favorite albums I bought in the 80s)
U2 - The Unforgettable Fire (still my favorite U2 album), The Joshua Tree
Neil Young - Freedom (the album where he finally got back on track; lots of the greatest 60s/70s artists struggled in the 80s: The Stones, Dylan, Young, Joni Mitchell,...)
XTC - Skylarking

Orion, from Metallica's Master of Puppets, is my favorite song of all time. It just happens to be from the eighties. Other than that I couldn't narrow it down from all the great metal released during that decade.

Dancing in the street

Significant_leap said:
Dancing in the street

Pretty sure this is a 60s song. Is there a cover version you have in mind?

Mike Jagger and David Bowies Dancing in the street