By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is Mormonism a Cult?

Is Mormonism a Cult?

Yes, Mormonism is a dangerous cult! 42 38.18%

Yes, Mormonism is a cult,... 32 29.09%

No, Mormonism is not a Cu... 30 27.27%

I don't know. 4 3.64%

Total:108

One of the leading US Presidential candidates this year is Mitt Romney.  Romney belongs to a religion whose adherents all practically claim that they are Christians like most of the other citizens in the US; however, there is a significant portion of the population that thinks their religion is quite a bit more mysterious than that, and it has even been stated in some circles that Mormonism is actually a cult.

Do you think that Mormonism is a cult?

Around the Network

Mormonism isn't a cult, but many of their beliefs are pretty different from the normal Christian beliefs.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

"The word cult in current popular usage usually refers to a new religious movement or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre."

No. It's very, very different from the rest of Christianity to the point that it could very nearly be considered another religion altogether, but it's clearly and obviously not a "cult".

SW-5120-1900-6153

Its not inside Christian orthodoxy as far as I'm concerned.

Cult? Not really. I usually reserve that for Jehovah's Witnesses.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Mormonism is more closely linked to the Jewish faith than the Christian faith.

Around the Network

by every law in Westeros

As a fervent atheist who has befriended a great many Mormons from swimming and water polo (all Mormons love aquatic sports), I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that LDS is not a cult (or, it's no more a cult than any other religion). I've always thought it strange that people view Mormonism as a cult. LDS is a church that praises tight community and family bonds, and promotes hard and charitable work.

It always seems to be the ignorant ones who raise an objection to Romney's Mormonism. In the end, it won't be a huge issue, I lived in Michigan when it came out that his father was a member of LDS (he was governor at the time) and it seemed to only be a scandal in the eyes of the media and those who thought their sect of Christianity was the only true one.

mrstickball said:
Its not inside Christian orthodoxy as far as I'm concerned.

Cult? Not really. I usually reserve that for Jehovah's Witnesses.

This is quite true. Mormonism can not be included within Christianity by any comparison. They conflict far too much.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

In my book all organized religions are cults.

no.

scientology on the other hand...

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur