By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is Mormonism a Cult?

Is Mormonism a Cult?

Yes, Mormonism is a dangerous cult! 42 38.18%

Yes, Mormonism is a cult,... 32 29.09%

No, Mormonism is not a Cu... 30 27.27%

I don't know. 4 3.64%

Total:108

From a christian perspective mormonism is a heretic cult founded by the con man Joseph Smith.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
From a christian perspective mormonism is a heretic cult founded by the con man Joseph Smith.

Christian perspective? Mormons are christians arent they?

zimbawawa said:
Slimebeast said:

Christian perspective? Mormons are christians arent they?

From the perspective of Christianity in general (Catholics, evangelicals, Lutheran etc) Mormons are heretics and Mormonism is a cult.

Now obviously Mormons themselves claim to be Christian or else traditional Christianity wouldn't need to classify them as heretics. You see, Christianity doesn't categorize entirely different religions or non-believers as heretics and cults, only those who claim to be Christian but have gravely false doctrines (such as rejection of Trinity and the deity of Jesus Christ).

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the official name of the Mormon Church. Within this name shows the fact that they believe in Jesus Christ and that He is the head of the church and no one else. It's interesting to see that because Mormons have different beliefs, such as modern day prophets and apostles, the priesthood, and the Book of Mormon, other Christians, but not all, view them as a cult. There are many denominations inside protestant Christianity itself and they can differ in doctrine yet they don't use words such as cult to describe each other.

Now, I'm not the best person to defend the LDS Church. I'm not officially a member anymore seeing that I took my name off the membership records due to the stance on homosexuality . However, I still hold to some of the beliefs of the church. The main one being that Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior and that He took upon Himself the sins of this world to enable everyone the chance to repent and overcome spiritual death and return to the presence of our Father in Heaven.

No. From all of the mormons i have met it seems to be the best religion. They really look after each other and have a tight knit community. None of them ever tried to convert me in any way either. And they all seemed to be well adjusted people.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
EdHieron said:

One of the leading US Presidential candidates this year is Mitt Romney.  Romney belongs to a religion whose adherents all practically claim that they are Christians like most of the other citizens in the US; however, there is a significant portion of the population that thinks their religion is quite a bit more mysterious than that, and it has even been stated in some circles that Mormonism is actually a cult.

Do you think that Mormonism is a cult?

Asking if "Mormonism is a religion or a cult" is the same as asking "Is Elton John a homosexual or a fag?"

It's just plain impolite disparagement to the group to label them as a cult considering the implication of the labels these days.

Not really, one has to remember that the beliefs of religious groups tend to be on the extreme right wing and there's little ( if any ) scientific evidence to support them.  On the other hand such a question about Elton John would tend to come from someone on the far right like the Mormons which is why they supported Prop 8 and most scientific evidence would indicate that being homosexual is not an abberration of any type; however, staunchly supporting an ideology that has no basis in reality is quite an aberation.  

Kasz216 said:
EdHieron said:
Kasz216 said:
No more so then say baptists... and i mean honestly... you could only wish that most religious groups did as much good as the mormon church.

They do a LOT of good, are one of the more active charitable christian groups out there... and seem honestly to generally be a lot more positive and generally nice then people on average.

So even if they were a cult, good for them. We'd probably be better off if there were more Mormons out there.

I wouldn't exactly say that the Mountain Meadows Massacre was a good thing ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Meadows_massacre ), and I'm not sure if there's anything analogous to it in Baptist history.

Well... the inquistion.  Since they branched off from catholics after that.

I mean... seriously... 1857?

John Krakauer in his book "Under the Banner of Heaven:  A Story of Violent Faith" (2004) (    http://www.amazon.com/Under-Banner-Heaven-Story-Violent/dp/1400032806/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340025661&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=john+krakouer )   covers more recent attrocities committed by Mormons.

thranx said:
No. From all of the mormons i have met it seems to be the best religion. They really look after each other and have a tight knit community. None of them ever tried to convert me in any way either. And they all seemed to be well adjusted people.

Looking after each other and having a tight knit community is often a way of hiding secrets see The Branch Davidians and the FLDS.  And as the video that I posted earlier on page 2 of the forum from styxhexenhammer666 says the "And I'm a Mormon" campaign that they plaster all over youtube and on humongous billboards in major cities indicates that they're very much interested in attracting new members.

As an atheist I have no problem agreeing with this old man:

EdHieron said:
thranx said:

Looking after each other and having a tight knit community is often a way of hiding secrets see The Branch Davidians and the FLDS.  And as the video that I posted earlier on page 2 of the forum from styxhexenhammer666 says the "And I'm a Mormon" campaign that they plaster all over youtube and on humongous billboards in major cities indicates that they're very much interested in attracting new members.

I expect them to try to and gain members. They even go door to door to do so. But they do not try and do it in every conversation. They have a time and a place for it. Having a tight knit community may be a way of hiding secrets. That is fine, it doesn't change the fact the mormons I know are all well adjusted people who excibit great values to those around them. I can't find a problem with that.

Edit: I have forgotten about the door to door mormons. But even then its simply a i'm not interseted and they are on their way.