By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Nintendo gets a pass Just because they're Nintendo That Sony Isn't Allowed To Have

EdHieron said:
oniyide said:
DanneSandin said:
The funny thing is that Sony/MS fans gives the PS360 a pass - as much (if not even more so) as Nintendo fans. Nintendo were first with motion controls - and seeing the success they had, Sony and MS riped them off.
Kinect is a rip off that gets a pass from MS fans. MS really have gone after the casual since 2010 (or something) and got a pass for it.
Move is just like the Wiimote! It just looks more lika a dildo. And Sony fans gave it a pass.

You, Ed, really is a hipocrite if you won't bash MS/Sony for their sudden interest in casuals! And I would be a hypocrite to say that I don't want 3rd party on the Wii - of course I do, but that's the only mistake Nintendo made with the Wii: not having enough power in it so it could get ports. That and the fact Nintendo totally dropped the ball after 2010... But My point still stands: if Nintendo deserves a bash for going casual, then MS/Sony does so too - and even more so for mimmicking the Wii shamelessly, trying to get some casuals.

I cant speak for all SOny fans but as someone with both WIi and Move, I can tell you i critized Ninty not for going for the casuals, I saw that coming long before i bought WIi nothing wrong with that. But for their WIimote being so halfassed, it simply didnt work that well and did a crappy job of tracking movement. I bashed for releasing a shoddy product. I like Move cause the damn thing works as advertised, I dont care who came first last third tenth. All i care about is that it works.

Yeah, Microsoft's gone way too casual for my liking ever since they first started talking about natal and how many sports entertainment shows you can watch on your xbox.  Sony hasn't done that to that extent and their top priority seems to be creating the best immersive gaming experiences if they change on that score, I will criticize them more for it.

One thing Kinect does demonstrate to me though is that Wii Sports sales numbers stem from the fact that it was a pack-in because you've seen a similar phenomenon with Kinect Adventures.

my problem with Kinect is that its just a camera, you are very limited in what you can do.  I actually like Dance Central and liked Kinect Sports even more. BUt as good as those are, they have no depth and i get bored with them in about a week or two. ANd if thats all that the thing is capable of delivering, as a guy who doesnt care for those genres mentioned we have an issue. Im not mad at what MS tried to do, I am dumbfounded that they try to sell it as a core device and even more dumbfounded that some people bought that BS

Around the Network
Kresnik said:

I think Nintendo just tried so many different things on the Gamecube that they didn't on the Wii - Metroid Prime, Pikmin, Batallion Wars, Animal Crossing, Donkey Konga, a 3D pokemon RPG, 3D Wario, Luigi's Mansion etc. were all new franchises or new takes on old franchises.

Link's Crossbow Training, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Paper Mario, Pokepark Wii, Flingsmash, Disaster, Wii Sports, Wii Music, Wii Fit, Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, Metroid: Other M.

Nintendo has experimented just as much this generation. It's just that fewer of the titles are cult hits with the "core gamer" (mostly just Xenoblade and, to a lesser degree, Pandora's Tower and Kirby's Epic Yarn).

oniyide said:
DanneSandin said:
The funny thing is that Sony/MS fans gives the PS360 a pass - as much (if not even more so) as Nintendo fans. Nintendo were first with motion controls - and seeing the success they had, Sony and MS riped them off.
Kinect is a rip off that gets a pass from MS fans. MS really have gone after the casual since 2010 (or something) and got a pass for it.
Move is just like the Wiimote! It just looks more lika a dildo. And Sony fans gave it a pass.

You, Ed, really is a hipocrite if you won't bash MS/Sony for their sudden interest in casuals! And I would be a hypocrite to say that I don't want 3rd party on the Wii - of course I do, but that's the only mistake Nintendo made with the Wii: not having enough power in it so it could get ports. That and the fact Nintendo totally dropped the ball after 2010... But My point still stands: if Nintendo deserves a bash for going casual, then MS/Sony does so too - and even more so for mimmicking the Wii shamelessly, trying to get some casuals.

I cant speak for all SOny fans but as someone with both WIi and Move, I can tell you i critized Ninty not for going for the casuals, I saw that coming long before i bought WIi nothing wrong with that. But for their WIimote being so halfassed, it simply didnt work that well and did a crappy job of tracking movement. I bashed for releasing a shoddy product. I like Move cause the damn thing works as advertised, I dont care who came first last third tenth. All i care about is that it works.

I have no doubt that Move works better than Wiimote - but that wasn't the point, was it?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DanneSandin said:
oniyide said:
DanneSandin said:

I have no doubt that Move works better than Wiimote - but that wasn't the point, was it?

then what was...oh that HD people give MS and Sony a pass for catering to casual, while Ninty doesnt. Maybe they feel because Sony and MS started doing it so late in the game that they both put the "core" first. 

oniyide said:
DanneSandin said:
oniyide said:
DanneSandin said:

then what was...oh that HD people give MS and Sony a pass for catering to casual, while Ninty doesnt. Maybe they feel because Sony and MS started doing it so late in the game that they both put the "core" first. 

Yeah, that's the point =) But it's kind of weird right? When MS/Sony mimmicks Nintys success and catering to the casuals, the only ones that's raging are Nintendo fans crying out about how MSony is ripping off Nintendo. The MSony fans didn't say much. Except now when they (well, ONE) thinks that Nintendo got a free pass ^^

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
oniyide said:
DanneSandin said:
oniyide said:
DanneSandin said:

Yeah, that's the point =) But it's kind of weird right? When MS/Sony mimmicks Nintys success and catering to the casuals, the only ones that's raging are Nintendo fans crying out about how MSony is ripping off Nintendo. The MSony fans didn't say much. Except now when they (well, ONE) thinks that Nintendo got a free pass ^^

well the op is weird, but thats not totally fair. Some MSony fans were raging. SOME. THere are some people that just dont like motion controls no matter who does it. 

Aielyn said:
mushroomboy5 said:
I was going to say this...both games (though popular with critics and fans and looked back on fondly) were actually released close to the n64's final days and didn't actually sell that well, comparitively speaking.

This site is all about game sales, and has a record of them all. How the hell did you not actually look up the sales numbers to check the claim?

Perfect Dark on N64 sold 2.5 million copies. It was the 19th best selling N64 title. 2.5 million isn't massive, but it's certainly "selling well". To put it into perspective, it nearly outsold Mass Effect on the Xbox 360, despite Mass Effect being on a better-selling system, released quite early in its lifetime, and Mass Effect being considered a MAJOR new IP. For its time, 2.5 million was a big number.

Conker's Bad Fur Day, I agree, though - it wasn't a big-seller, and critics mostly look back on it fondly because of toilet humour, rather than any real quality - it wasn't nearly as good as the similar Banjo-Kazooie titles.

I said 'comparitively speaking'(and I assure you I did look up the sales prior to my comment)...I agree 2.5 million is decent but at the time the game (PERFECT DARK) was hyped as an illigitimite follow up to goldeneye 64 ...cos rare didn't have the license to do another bond game they created a new ip instead, in the same style of game as Goldeneye 64,  which sold  significantly greater (8 million or so I believe), so in comparison, yes PERTFECT DARK wasn't that massive a game saleswise. I'm sure it was anticipated to be RARE/Nintendo's next killer franchise. I'm not saying the game was a failure...I bought it the day it came out and was a big fan (being something of a big fat n64 fanboy at the time)...I was merely disagreeing with someone else who posted in this thread that PD and Conker were 2 of the biggest games of their day...they weren't. 

I don't understand what the topic of this thread is?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

oniyide said:
DanneSandin said:
oniyide said:
DanneSandin said:
oniyide said:
DanneSandin said:

well the op is weird, but thats not totally fair. Some MSony fans were raging. SOME. THere are some people that just dont like motion controls no matter who does it. 

Very true indeed. As is the fact that Nintendo haven't got a free pass for going casual. It's as if the OP haven't seen what people's been saying for about 6 years ^^

RolStoppable said:
So where in this did Nintendo get a pass?

1274 Shinjuku Street, Tokyo.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.