By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global HW up June 9th (updated with SW)

spurgeonryan said:
Troll_whisperers

There was no global but we did have a US is up thread and a Uk is up thread. Media create was up as well. People just need to look in the forum index more, or got to sales forum.

I saw those, but US, UK and Japan don't represent the whole market. A good chunk of it, but not all.

Plus, it's nice to have one place to discuss global sales instead of just a region.

Plus, there have been adjustments anyway so the numbers in those threads have been changed anyway.

I don't know, WW up threads used to be a big deal, now no one cares, a reflection of the dying generation.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network
Troll_Whisperer said:
spurgeonryan said:
Troll_whisperers

There was no global but we did have a US is up thread and a Uk is up thread. Media create was up as well. People just need to look in the forum index more, or got to sales forum.

I saw those, but US, UK and Japan don't represent the whole market. A good chunk of it, but not all.

Plus, it's nice to have one place to discuss global sales instead of just a region.

Plus, there have been adjustments anyway so the numbers in those threads have been changed anyway.

I don't know, WW up threads used to be a big deal, now no one cares, a reflection of the dying generation.

Been going on for a while now unfortunately, HW thread, Pre-order threads and the Pal Charts threads are lucky to get 40 replies now, Media Create threads seem the only ones getting some decent attention now.

-

I am not terribly concerned by the numbers for the 360. The reality is that Microsoft has a lot of options if it wants to increase sales, and it isn't as if they don't have a huge unit moving title coming in the fall. Halo is a franchise that generates its own gravity. Regardless of what is going on in the surrounding space. I guess what I am saying is that the sales will recover.

What I find interesting and disconcerting is the fact that the Vita is replicating the PS3s life cycle. Except it isn't at all clear that Sony can afford to rectify the problem. Were it not for the loss leading intervention on the part of Sony to absorb greater losses with the PS3. The console would not have survived its first year in the market. How many here honestly believe that Sony can afford to cut the price of the Vita by as much as a third.

We know Sony is in dire financial straights, and that means that Sony may have to abandon the product. Either by their own volition, or being forced to do so by retailers. Those figures are in dangerous territory, and it isn't clear that the shelf space being allotted for the product is fiscally feasible for retailers. Remember it costs money for a retailer to keep something on the shelf. There is a lot of overhead that goes into selling merchandise, and if they are selling a single unit every month.

Look I think we all remember what was happening to the PS3 prior to Sony taking a wood axe to the retail price. The shelf space was shrinking, and if this happens to the Vita, and no intervention materializes. Well I am going to say something that is going to piss some people off. The Vita might not make it into the holidays. It might be off the shelves by early fall. Don't kill the messenger it is a possibility that should be genuinely considered.

The difference between Microsoft and Sony is the difference between night and day. Microsoft can afford to do things that will generate sales both in the short and long term. Sony doesn't seem to have any options. It doesn't look like Sony is in a position to save the Vita if it comes to that, and Sony may have to let the product die. Some may say things are getting boring, but really a handheld succumbing to the market and dieing. Well now that isn't something you see every day.

Dodece said:

Long post

But Vita is profitiing from day one, according to Sony. The main loss was R&D (Sony said it would take 3 years to recoup) but that's spent already, Vita's making money atm so I am 100% sure it won't be discontinued.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:
Conegamer said:
Carl2291 said:
Nintendo wont be making a loss at launch, will they?

$250 for the console, controller and a game? Really?

Sounds like it. The rumoured components are only going to cost around $160 (tech has moved on so much that tech even twice as good shown in the PS360 can be found for this price) judging from threads and leaks, and the game won't cost anything really. The controller probably costs $30 to make, which leaves $60 to play with in terms of shipping, VAT, import costs, retailers cut etc., so I'd imagine Ninty would break even or make $10-$15 profit on each unit at that cost.

So retailes cut is more like $30-50 and not $90 eh? ;) So my calculations were semi-accurate.

I never forget.

Retailers cut is much smaller than that. Retailers make next to nothing on hardware. Like literally $1-$5 on hardware, they make nearly everything off of software.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Conegamer said:
Carl2291 said:
Nintendo wont be making a loss at launch, will they?

$250 for the console, controller and a game? Really?

Sounds like it. The rumoured components are only going to cost around $160 (tech has moved on so much that tech even twice as good shown in the PS360 can be found for this price) judging from threads and leaks, and the game won't cost anything really. The controller probably costs $30 to make, which leaves $60 to play with in terms of shipping, VAT, import costs, retailers cut etc., so I'd imagine Ninty would break even or make $10-$15 profit on each unit at that cost.

So retailes cut is more like $30-50 and not $90 eh? ;) So my calculations were semi-accurate.

I never forget.

Retailers cut is much smaller than that. Retailers make next to nothing on hardware. Like literally $1-$5 on hardware, they make nearly everything off of software.

Brilliant! Source would help, but I'm forwading this to conegamer anyway :D

Conegamer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

I never forget.

No, the PS4 would be more expensive, so it costs more for importing (over the £250 import barrier in the UK, for example), and also retailers would want a bigger cut. So it'd be more like $70-$80, but yeah, not $90

outlawauron says retailers make next to nothing on hardware ($1 - $5), and make it moneyz from software. He has no source, but nor do we, and I'm hoping he will deliver that source as I've asked. I'm just taking his word for it as his word is as good as yours, except it agrees with me ;)

Andrespetmonkey said:
Conegamer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

I never forget.

No, the PS4 would be more expensive, so it costs more for importing (over the £250 import barrier in the UK, for example), and also retailers would want a bigger cut. So it'd be more like $70-$80, but yeah, not $90

outlawauron says retailers make next to nothing on hardware ($1 - $5), and make it moneyz from software. He has no source, but nor do we, and I'm hoping he will deliver that source as I've asked. I'm just taking his word for it as his word is as good as yours, except it agrees with me ;)

This is what I always heard too. Retailers make no profit on HW. I don't have any sources atm though.

Troll_Whisperer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Conegamer said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

I never forget.

This is what I always heard too. Retailers make no profit on HW. I don't have any sources atm though.

Going to ask my brother about that. He's working in a MediaMarkt store and I already heard some good stories.
Like they're losing money on every CD album they sell.