By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS3 sales drop in "Others"

The Wii had a 44% drop this week and the 360 had a 48% drop, where as the PS3 had a much larger 55% drop. The drop this week for the PS3 in "others" looks pretty large on the surface, but if you look a little bit closer. 

Total: Jan 6th. 

Total: Jan 13th

Spain 6th

Spain 13th

As you can see, the PS3 sold 67,741 fewer units this week than last week. But 32,681 of those were in Spain. Now in Spain it is a tradition to buy gifts for people on the 5th of January, which accounts for the 71% drop in PS3's from the week ending the 6th to the week ending the 13th in Spain.

The PS3 suffers the most from this tradition because it is the most popular home console in Spain.

The sales drop in Spain alone accounts for 48% of the sales drop in the whole of the 'other' region, for the PS3. If you take spain out, the sales drop from week ending 6th of Jan to week ending 13th of Jan is 44%. Rather than the 56% drop, if you include Spain.

How can we use this to predict next weeks sales for the whole of the 'other' region? Well instead of expecting another large percentage drop, expect a smaller percentage drop. So the PS3 sales in 'other' region should be 40-45k next week, rather than 30-35K. 

Around the Network
tombi123 said:

The drop this week for the PS3 in "others" looks pretty large on the surface, but if you look a little bit closer.

Total: Jan 6th.

Total: Jan 13th

Spain 6th

Spain 13th

As you can see, the PS3 sold 67,741 fewer units this week than last week. But 32,681 of those were in Spain. Now in Spain it is a tradition to buy gifts for people on the 5th of January, which accounts for the 71% drop in PS3's from the week ending the 6th to the week ending the 13th.

The PS3 suffers the most from this tradition because it is the most popular home console in Sain.

The sales drop in Spain alone accounts for 48% of the sales drop in the whole of the other region, for the PS3. If you take spain out, the sales drop from week ending 6th of Jan to week ending 13th of Jan is 44%. Rather than the 56% drop, if you include Spain.

How can we use this to predict next weeks sales for the whole of the other region? Well instead of expecting another large percentage drop, expect a smaller percentage drop. So the PS3 sales in 'other' region should be 40-45k next week, rather than 30-35K.

Yea i think most of us knew about the spanish tradition thing. I just didn't know people were predicting for ps3 to fall even further?

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

i think from here on out the drops will be small

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

thats a fairly substantial drop. bummer.

@Neos
yeah, people in Europe where probably aware of the tradition, but maybe not people from the USA.

Around the Network

Yeah but Tombi at this point the consoles should be nearing stabilization point anyways

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

@Avinash

Yeah but I was saying that the >50% drop for the PS3 is misleading, because it is down to one country effectively having christmas two weeks late.

Yeah I won't be expecting a drop anymore.

^there will be drops but small ones

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

its the typical after holidays drop..

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453