By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA: Origin won't copy Steam 75% off sales. "Cheapens IP."

What's wrong with "cheapening IPs"?

In a gamer's point of view like us lot, that would surely be bad. But this is EA, they only talk MONEY so they mean it in the literal sense...

So what's wrong with it?

Games are business, cheap games is good. This isn't art you place on a wall, this is VIRTUAL SOFTWARE.

If Steam were reducing physical collectors editions by 75% then they might have a point of sorts. Obviously that isn't the case.

Money grabbing bastards at EA now openly admitting being money grabbing bastards. Times have changed fast.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Nintendo say the same thing about cheap games and Virtual Console to justify high prices. But at least Origin games are not nearing 30 years old..

Two wrongs.....

At least with Nintendo the games in question are actually their games :p EA is just some topsy turvy parasite like a dog perched on a nest of fleas....ahhhh something like that...it's early im tired.

WTF is Origin? It doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned, that thing can go eat a dick.

pezus said:
dahuman said:
WTF is Origin? It doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned, that thing can go eat a dick.

It only exists for me because I am forced to use it to play BF3 :/

oh yes that, I got banned from BF3 for no reason, literally no reason, I don't cheat, I don't hack, I play legit, and I can't get access to talk to anybody to fix it because you have to jump thruogh prolly 50 hoops, the most awful service I've ever ran into, EA is fucking dead to me, for as long as I have to buy a game on Origin for their data collection on how much worse they can make my life instead of improving things like Valve did, they can go eat a big fat cock.

dahuman said:
pezus said:
dahuman said:

oh yes that, I got banned from BF3 for no reason, literally no reason, I don't cheat, I don't hack, I play legit, and I can't get access to talk to anybody to fix it because you have to jump thruogh prolly 50 hoops, the most awful service I've ever ran into, EA is fucking dead to me, for as long as I have to buy a game on Origin for their data collection on how much worse they can make my life instead of improving things like Valve did, they can go eat a big fat cock.

You can't get access to support because you think you can't get access? I feel like we just entered the Matrix.

Mind = blown.

Around the Network
wfz said:
dahuman said:
pezus said:
dahuman said:

You can't get access to support because you think you can't get access? I feel like we just entered the Matrix.

Mind = blown.

Tried already, contacted EA support, they say they can't do anything because DICE did it, so I try to get to DICE, there is noway to actually contact DICE support no matter how hard I looked, then I seek help on the forums with noway to resolve the issue. After a few hours at it, I said fuck it, oh and sent e-mails to DICE and no results. Then decided to never use EA's service again because there is no integration. I've never had that issue with Valve when something fucked up on Steam.

ps: yes, I know it's mainly DICE's problem(still an EA studio though,) but I really fucking hate EA right now and I just don't want to use their fucking service, and I know Steam is not perfect, but shit!

oh and remember the whole Bioware and EA account banning thing? Bioware was banning people left and right on their end and people ended up not being able to access their EA account at all? yeah that shit, thank goodness I wasn't a part of that lol.

Just a thought. The publishers have to agree to these 75% sales on Steam, and most of the time, they see benefit in doing so. EA have titles that are included in the 75% sales.

So EA have the problem of left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing because on the one hand, EA are agreeing to put their titles on sale at 75% off and on the other hand they're saying "we won't have 75% sales on our service as it damages our IP".

So which is it?

trasharmdsister12 said:
Scoobes said:
Just a thought. The publishers have to agree to these 75% sales on Steam, and most of the time, they see benefit in doing so. EA have titles that are included in the 75% sales.

So EA have the problem of left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing because on the one hand, EA are agreeing to put their titles on sale at 75% off and on the other hand they're saying "we won't have 75% sales on our service as it damages our IP".

So which is it?

It's the hand that they think will make them the most money given the circumstances.

"Cheapening" an IP through the mass reduction of a price is better for the industry (different gamers possibly trying new franchises and products spurring genre > industry growth and supporting reason to develop fresh ideas and worlds) than cheapening an IP to potentially reach mass market appeal (derivative gameplay and checklist feature set where fans of a style of game are set aside for those loose with money and shorter attention spans).

Soooo.... Mass Effect?

So I guess Origin will only have the half-off sales it has had in the past?

And Nordstrom targets those with incomes over $100K USD -- that is a small part of the market.
(Target has the higher stock price -- $57.67 to $48.32 -- and 3.5x market cap 38.1B to 10.5B -- so which would you rather be).

Second reaction -- isn't this pretty much what Iwata said at GDC 2011 about 99 cent games?

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV