By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - There's still hope! - The Last Guardian Still In Development

Sony's E3 2012 press conference came and went, and the company made no mention of its troubled first-party title The Last Guardian.

At DICE in February earlier this year, Sony's president of worldwide studios Shuhei Yoshida said the game was being reworked after running into techincal issues. When asked today at E3, Yoshida was unable to provide any new updates, but did say the game was coming along.

"There are some technical issues being addressed. There’s not much to show what it looks like," he told Game Informer. "This period of time we are unable to give an update, but the game is still in development."

The Last Guardian was first unveiled at E3 2009.

Link

I wonder what happened?

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:

[In February] was being reworked after running into techincal issues

[Today] "There are some technical issues being addressed. There’s not much to show what it looks like," 

I think that is the most concerning thing. So 4 months ago they had already started rebuilding the game and trying to address those technical issues, after what was already years of development. After those 4 months they still have nothing to show and are addressing technical issues? ..... that's not good. 

Honestly at this point I'm not even sure if what they have is a game or just a bunch of disconnected ideas. This game has been announced for 3 years and seemed to have been worked on for quite some time at that point. Given that SotC launched in 2005! I wouldn't be too surprised if this game has been in development from not long after that, as you don't simply leave a development studio twiddling their thumbs and doing nothing. 

I'm sure that people even saw playable demos for this years ago. I just don't see what could be such a massive issue it would delay the game for this long. Only thing I can think of is a Duke Nukem Forever style of build it to near completion, scrap it and start again, near completion, scrap it and start again etc. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

So they've possibily been working on this since 2006-2007, and they're still running into "technical problems"...

Sorry, but this is nonsense!

They should just can it & make SoTC 2

Jay520 said:
They should just can it & make SoTC 2

Lol I kinda agree.

Around the Network

I hope they'll take their time to get it right and not start cutting content all over the place to get it running. It can always be a launch title for ps4.
Anyway they better include a developer diary / documentary on the disk to tell what all the difficulties were.

SvennoJ said:
I hope they'll take their time to get it right and not start cutting content all over the place to get it running. It can always be a launch title for ps4.
Anyway they better include a developer diary / documentary on the disk to tell what all the difficulties were.

A PS4 release works for me as long as it's released at all. Love your idea about bonus content, that would be exciting to watch.

I am very happy they confirmed it's still alive. Best news all day.

They may have run into a game breaking bug and had to rework the engine. It gets tricky the later in the development process when you find such bugs. The information that they are still working on the "technical" difficulties would suggest this. And that would be something you wouldn't proudly report. "Yep we made a big mistake six months back and it caused a casading bug that we are now tearing up everything to try and fix."

Did the games director not just up and leave? I'd blame him if that was the case.

If there's anything this E3 proved, it's that there is no hope.