Yes, kinda! 11 3.89%

You're nuts. 52 18.37%

Get a grip! 63 22.26%

They definitely failed E3, but we'll see. 87 30.74%

Beer (ummmm) 34 12.01%

Total:282
happydolphin said:
Euphoria14 said:

I also saw the demonstration for Sing where the words are on the tablet instead of the TV screen. Now really, how does that make the game any better? It's Karaoke, only this time you have extra crap to hold instead of only needing a microphone. I wouldn't consider that progression.

ZombiU to me looked alright. I liked when he was looking into the tablet and then when he brought it down that zombie was in his face. My problem though is why is it everyone other than Nintendo that is doing somewhat interesting things with the WiiU?

I see many problems in the future for the WiiU, even more so once next gen really starts rolling and Sony and MS bring out much more graphics heavy consoles because let's be honest here... we all know a bunch of devs are making engines tailored to next gen consoles, so where do you think they are going to go?

Also for the record I don't think the Controller isn't revolutionary. I love the thing, but I just think Nintendo is seriously dropped the ball big time.

I don't disagree with you (bold), they did drop the ball. But come on, you'll bring the Karaoke as an example as to why the controller isn't revolutionary. There are so many other features shown by Nintendo and by Batman and ZombiU to show that that was a check on the To Do list (not an issue). If girls want to have fun playing Sing, I have no issue with it, but just try not to show it at E3. Nintendoland, on the other hand, is a disaster. People were getting up to leave by the end of the conference, didn't even wait for the fireworks to end. What a shit show.

Extra crap to hold? Okay, use the built in controller microphone. If Sing devs didn't think of that one, who's fault is it. And even then, what about when you hold a mic and a sheet of paper for lyrics. Whatevs this is a non-issue.

ZombiU isn't just alright, it's a big step in the right direction for immersive use of the controller. Another check on the list. And Nintendo IS doing interesting things with the controller. The MiiVerse will be super handy, the browser will be perfect for showing pics and vids to family. That's all good and they also showed asymetric gameplay (big feature), and some swiping to-from the controller to the screen. it's a pass.

But the bullseye, the 3rd party support, the AAA 1st party titles from Retro, the more adult franchises like F-Zero, Starfox, Smash and Prime, they were not there. THAT's where they failed.

Karoake with a tablet? Sheet of paper for lyrics? Sorry, no offense intended, but have you ever done Karaoke? The lyrics are displayed on the TV screen, so no need for sheets of paper or large tablets. This holds true even for the stand alone karaoke machine I own at home that hooks up to the TV with standard AV wires and have a remote control used to switch between songs. Ever since Singstar on consoles there has been no need for anything other than a mic. If you watch the Sing trailer, they clearly use a Microphone AND the tablet. This is abolutely a step back in terms of Karaoke.

ZombiU is indeed a nice step in the right direction for immersive use of the controller, but why is it Ubisoft getting the job done?

Maybe I should watch it again, but does Mario have online co-op? One of the things that bothered me about NSMBWii was the lack of online co-op. I'm not 13 anymore and have a family, so I don't have the luxury to just invite people over the game on the couch if you know what I mean.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Just to be contrary, I liked Nintendo Land. The games look like an excellent lark. I do agree that some form of extra bomb was needed to end the show.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

mike_intellivision said:
Is it me or is it the people who complain the loudest about Nintendo want it to be more like the other companies.
But if it were more like Sony and Microsoft, then it would not longer be Nintendo. And chances are, people (these same people no doubt) would complain about that too.

Nintendo is Honda. It does what it wants to do. It is solid but not flashy. It is not for everyone. Nevertheless, it is generally successful at doing it.

Mike from Morgantown

zig when they zag, just like you've been saying the past couple days.

No mistake that Nintendo could have performed better, but they continue to do their own thing.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

mike_intellivision said:
Is it me or is it the people who complain the loudest about Nintendo want it to be more like the other companies.
But if it were more like Sony and Microsoft, then it would not longer be Nintendo. And chances are, people (these same people no doubt) would complain about that too.

Nintendo is Honda. It does what it wants to do. It is solid but not flashy. It is not for everyone. Nevertheless, it is generally successful at doing it.

Mike from Morgantown

You're so lost. Nintendo is not at all what it once was, so those who want Nintendo to continue into La La land are exactly you who you're talking about.

Nintendo is NOT what it has become, it is greater than both what it is, and what Sony and MS are. But it is not living up to its name.

Euphoria14 said:

Karoake with a tablet? Sheet of paper for lyrics? Sorry, no offense intended, but have you ever done Karaoke? The lyrics are displayed on the TV screen, so no need for sheets of paper or large tablets. This holds true even for the stand alone karaoke machine I own at home that hooks up to the TV with standard AV wires and have a remote control used to switch between songs. Ever since Singstar on consoles there has been no need for anything other than a mic. If you watch the Sing trailer, they clearly use a Microphone AND the tablet. This is abolutely a step back in terms of Karaoke.

COMG, it's a video game console, not a Karaoke machine.

ZombiU is indeed a nice step in the right direction for immersive use of the controller, but why is it Ubisoft getting the job done?

Why shouldn't it be? Nintendo has its plate full right now, they barely even had enough time to speak. Poor Reggie looks like he's about to collapse. His body certainly isn't ready.

But yeah, even then, Retro is doing what?? Look, whether they use the controller or not, I couldn't care less. The controller is not for core experiences for the most part, even then the damn thing only lasts 3 to 5 hours. So what I care more about is where are the core games promised.

Maybe I should watch it again, but does Mario have online co-op? One of the things that bothered me about NSMBWii was the lack of online co-op. I'm not 13 anymore and have a family, so I don't have the luxury to just invite people over the game on the couch if you know what I mean.

NSMB is better single player anyways, so why do you care. NSMB + Miiverse is all you need. No, it's not online co-op I don't think so. And to be helpful, I think local co-op is meant to be played "with"  your family.

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

Come on, you and me both know that is absolutely wrong.

Have you really forgotten that it was Nintendo who had Final Fantasy, Zelda, StarFox, Mario, Secret of Mana, Mario Kart, Doom, Mortal Kombat, Wolfenstein 3D and Civilization all while having plenty of games that catered to the casual or the very young in age?

Since when did having that kind of lineup of titles become Non-Nintendo? When Nintendo got in it's own way and lost that support?

Nintendo will always be Nintendo and differ from Sony and/or Microsoft due to their strong list of household names. Adding in a Bioshock here and a Grand Theft Auto there does not change that, nor does some of us wanting on a Nintendo console make us wrong.

Maybe, just maybe some of us actually think that if they had some of these IPs we wouldn't have to go out and grab multiple consoles just to play ALL the different styles of gaming out there.

There was a time like that once. A time when Nintendo WAS Nintendo and offered their users gaming on all fronts across the industry.

Please don't allow recent history to really make you believe otherwise.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

happydolphin said:
Euphoria14 said:

Then they shouldn't even bother if they don't want to do it right.

But yeah, even then, Retro is doing what?? Look, whether they use the controller or not, I couldn't care less. The controller is not for core experiences for the most part, even then the damn thing only lasts 3 to 5 hours. So what I care more about is where are the core games promised.

I am in the same boat as you.

NSMB is better single player anyways, so why do you care. NSMB + Miiverse is all you need. No, it's not online co-op I don't think so. And to be helpful, I think local co-op is meant to be played "with"  your family.

When a game is being shown off with 4-people playing, it clearly isn't trying to be put across as "better" when played alone. Plus local co-op isn't MEANT to be played with just your family. My daughter is 3 and my fiance isn't a gamer. This is 2012 now. They can't continue to keep acting like they know whats best for all of us. Someone like me wants online co-op because that is best for me in my case. That is why I care.

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

Come on, you and me both know that is absolutely wrong.

Have you really forgotten that it was Nintendo who had Final Fantasy, Zelda, StarFox, Mario, Secret of Mana, Mario Kart, Doom, Mortal Kombat, Wolfenstein 3D and Civilization all while having plenty of games that catered to the casual or the very young in age?

Since when did having that kind of lineup of titles become Non-Nintendo? When Nintendo got in it's own way and lost that support?

Nintendo will always be Nintendo and differ from Sony and/or Microsoft due to their strong list of household names. Adding in a Bioshock here and a Grand Theft Auto there does not change that, nor does some of us wanting on a Nintendo console make us wrong.

Maybe, just maybe some of us actually think that if they had some of these IPs we wouldn't have to go out and grab multiple consoles just to play ALL the different styles of gaming out there.

There was a time like that once. A time when Nintendo WAS Nintendo and offered their users gaming on all fronts across the industry.

Please don't allow recent history to really make you believe otherwise.

You win this thread, Euphoria, right there. ^^^^

That's all I'm asking for, but I'm starting to believe that's something that will never, ever come true again. Why? Not because Nintendo doesn't want it, they do (they've said it). I just believe they are truly incapable of it. They have zero tact with western 3rd party partners of core games, and Reggie has a stick up his ass his body is not ready. Same goes for Iwata.

The presidents of these companies we are talking about did not reassure me either. Both Guillemot and Tremblay seemed almost afraid of reggie, and no, not because his body is ready, not because he's the regginator, but because on the contrary, his body really isn't. If project rainfall wasn't enough to wake us up, the man is a stuck up schoolboy with no grounds in reality whatsoever. Iwata asks... My lord I have never seen a circlejerk gong show of such epic proportions. How can you succeed by always thinking you're right and it's right and YES YES YES, "you can think of it that way" (my lord how many times did we hear that one).

Yes Iwata, you can think of it that way, you suck, and you have failed at making western 3rd party partners interested in your platform. Now excuse me as I go play Uncharted. (lol, j/k I'm at the office)

But does anyone else see it?

"But does anyone else see it?"

What I see is I´m probably never getting "another SNES" again.

Euphoria14 said:
happydolphin said:
Euphoria14 said:

Then they shouldn't even bother if they don't want to do it right.

That's bull and you know it. Some people can't afford to pay 1k for a karaoke machine and prefer to use a console they use for other entertainment as a hub to do things like that at a cheaper price. Change topics man, this one sucks.

Then again, I will agree that E3 is not the right place to show it. Make a show called the Casualfest, I don't know, but you promised Ninty not to alienate the core. This is not a step in that direction.

I am in the same boat as you.

When a game is being shown off with 4-people playing, it clearly isn't trying to be put across as "better" when played alone. Plus local co-op isn't MEANT to be played with just your family. My daughter is 3 and my fiance isn't a gamer. This is 2012 now. They can't continue to keep acting like they know whats best for all of us. Someone like me wants online co-op because that is best for me in my case. That is why I care.

Fair enough, but imho it's still better single player no matter how you put it. Whatevs

Your other point was better I find personally.