By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot for next gen, repeat of Wii all over again

Shooting themselves in the foot with us = winning the gen in general.

But the tablet controller isnt as accessible to casuals as the wiimote was....so i dont know

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

hell no that shit sucked i was kinda of hyped about coping 1 but the wii u its nothing more than and shiner wii its the same old shit all over again

nintendo make it clear that they goal is too capture both casual and hardcore market with wii u but when I think about it, im not sure if it is even possible for them to do that with all the competition and lack of third party

People forget that Nintendo ZIGS when everyone ZAGS.

Nintendo has been gearing its e3 presentation to the general public much more than the gamer crowd the last few years. Unfortunately, all anyone seems to want are games where you kill people. As the father of a 9 year old who has been gaming longer than most people on this website have been alive, this saddens me -- especially when my son's third grade classmates are playing COD: MW3 and friends from Sunday School are dropping F-bombs.

In other words, Nintendo is trying to reach grown-ups who make family purchasing decisions. How else could an underpowered SD machine sell nearly 100M units worldwide. They are not necessarily trying to reach the gaming press -- and the gaming press does not like that one bit, which may explain a lot of the Nintendo-negativity.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

kowenicki said:
when is it released?

how much will it cost?

bit odd that we don't know that yet.

Nintendo said it would not be discussing that at e3 and would announce later. It has done that recently. Nothing new.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

I agree Nintendo is in deep trouble here, although for different reasons.

WiiU does have a lot of the same problems Wii had right off the bat. While it has some 3rd party games, so did Wii initially and like Wii U they were mostly ports of games on other consoles but with new controls. Wii's controler was revolutionary. Even core gamers wanted to see how games would play with this controller. WiiU's controller is 2 years too late to be even remotely revolutionary. It leaves little to the imagination. And games like Batman:AC will play 90% the same instead of 100% different in Wii's case.

But Nintendo has a much bigger problem.

Wii's genius was it's simplicity. Wii Sports was a game anyone, anyone from 2 to 92 could pick up and play in seconds and have fun. It took away all those ugly and confusing buttons and sticks and simplified it into something looking like a remote control. It offered gameplay completely different than what you could get elsewhere.

All of that is lost.

WiiU's games are a confusing mess of multiple control schemes WITH all those ugly buttons and sticks returned and now touch screen and motion and Wiimote and nunchuk still needed AND Wii Pro AND balance board... WTF??? Grandma is staying the hell away from this techno mess. Of course it's not as bad as all that, but the message here is totally confused. The simplity that made Wii appealing; lost. This will scare not entice casual gamers.

So in the end:

Little to entice the core

Little to entice casual

Good news - Nintendoland is a great concept to introduce casuals to Nintendo's other franchises.
Sony's and MS new systems still look to be two years away.

"repeat of Wii all over again"

100m+ consoles sold?

Does it need to be pointed out why saying "repeat of the Wii" and "shot themselves in the foot" are contradictory statements?

VGChartz

it would be a terrible shame if nintendo only sold 95 million Wii u's wouldn't it.

Wii U seemed really bad after Smartglass was shown. The potential and scope of Smartglass quite frankly just killed Nintendo for me.