By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii from a 360 fanboy - a review

Hi,

As some of you might know I (a 360 fanboy) recently purchased a Wii. I've had it for 3 days now and these are my impressions

-Super Mario Galaxy is kind of boring.. maybe the whole game of the year thing (which is the reason why I baught it) kind of raised my expectations, but I just couldn't go on after my third Grand Star

-Zack & Wiki is not as funny as people claim, again I think I fell for the hype and my expectations where not met. I knew the gamplay was ala Full Throttle, but after beating the first map (the whole map which is 6 or 7 levels) I couldn't go on either.

-Wii Sport, I'm having more fun with this then Zack & Wiki and SMG, which surprised me, I didn't think bowling would be so much fun, Tennis and Baseball are quite addictive also. Boxing and Golf kind of frustrate me...

- The Wii Console looks nice, quiet as a sleeping baby (I'm used to my 360 noise, it puts me to sleep at night), and the Wii Channels are interesting. I like to check the weather in various parts of the Meditarean where its warm.. cause here in Toronto its quite cold. Mii's are fun, I figured out how to make a character look like a horse, and I gave antlers to another by screwing around with the eyebrows.

Overall I baught this console more for my girlfriend and for when people come over, so I can't say I'm dissappointed. I'm hoping some good RPG's come out, more games that are aimed towards my preferences, and looking forward to Wii Fit. But for now I'm pretty happy with Wii Sports and it will probably be able to keep me entertained till I start bowling 300's!! or till my rotator cuffs start hurting again.

Oh, and I had to buy a component cable cause I didn't have a free regular input thingy at the back.. Gaming at 480p is not that bad...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

¬¬

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

i think you should give zelda TP a shot i think you might really like that,or if you like games that use the remote alot get MP3 or RE4 wii edition theyre really good.
and yes wii will be very fun with alot of people

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

isn`t that bad

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

it doesn't surprise me as all that you didn't like zack and wiki, that is such a niche game i never expected it to appeal to that many people. but you don't like SMG?!?! just wow. how old are you? did you ever play any of the older mario games? do you not like platformers in general?

Well, as a 360 fanboy the games you should probably be playing are Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles all of which I can personally recommend. I'm excited for No More Heros and Smash Brothers but as they are not out I can't actually give a personal recommendation....yet. Glad you liked Wii Sports, I didn't think I was going to like that one either but I ended up loving it too. xD

Around the Network
gebx said:

Hi,

As some of you might know I (a 360 fanboy) recently purchased a Wii. I've had it for 3 days now and these are my impressions

-Super Mario Galaxy is kind of boring.. maybe the whole game of the year thing (which is the reason why I baught it) kind of raised my expectations, but I just couldn't go on after my third Grand Star

-Zack & Wiki is not as funny as people claim, again I think I fell for the hype and my expectations where not met. I knew the gamplay was ala Full Throttle, but after beating the first map (the whole map which is 6 or 7 levels) I couldn't go on either.

-Wii Sport, I'm having more fun with this then Zack & Wiki and SMG, which surprised me, I didn't think bowling would be so much fun, Tennis and Baseball are quite addictive also. Boxing and Golf kind of frustrate me...

- The Wii Console looks nice, quiet as a sleeping baby (I'm used to my 360 noise, it puts me to sleep at night), and the Wii Channels are interesting. I like to check the weather in various parts of the Meditarean where its warm.. cause here in Toronto its quite cold. Mii's are fun, I figured out how to make a character look like a horse, and I gave antlers to another by screwing around with the eyebrows.

Overall I baught this console more for my girlfriend and for when people come over, so I can't say I'm dissappointed. I'm hoping some good RPG's come out, more games that are aimed towards my preferences, and looking forward to Wii Fit. But for now I'm pretty happy with Wii Sports and it will probably be able to keep me entertained till I start bowling 300's!! or till my rotator cuffs start hurting again.

Oh, and I had to buy a component cable cause I didn't have a free regular input thingy at the back.. Gaming at 480p is not that bad...

You know, I think WiiSports is one of the best Wii games yet. I liked SMG, but WiiSports gets the most play in our household. Good review, I like my 360 and think the Wii isn't competiting with the 360, but complenting it. I would rather have my fam playing with the Wii than messing up my junk on the 360.

I will tell you a game I had a blast with (literally). Ghost Squad. I used the Wii Zapper and had a fun time. You can actually do 4 on 4 with it. I get tired of doing the same 3 missions, though. 

kitler53 said:
it doesn't surprise me as all that you didn't like zack and wiki, that is such a niche game i never expected it to appeal to that many people. but you don't like SMG?!?! just wow. how old are you? did you ever play any of the older mario games? do you not like platformers in general?

Well, as a 360 fanboy the games you should probably be playing are Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles all of which I can personally recommend. I'm excited for No More Heros and Smash Brothers but as they are not out I can't actually give a personal recommendation....yet. Glad you liked Wii Sports, I didn't think I was going to like that one either but I ended up loving it too. xD

I have MP3 and I liked it, but still, WiiSports is my favorite. I wasn't that big on RE either for some reason. Give me Ghost Squad!!!! 

I can handle you not liking SMG, but I have to draw the line at Zack & Wiki, your opinion must match my own! Z&W is the most wonderful game evar.

Every game can't appeal to everyone. Though most games appeal to me haha. I'm a PC gamer and Wii gamer (which means I play almost all the same games you do on your 360). Personally, I had more fun with SMG than anything else I have played in years. It was the only game that made me feel like a kid again.

I liked CoD4 for challenging me, and loved Orange Box for Ep2's great story and Portal's ingenious design. I'm not a big fan of Bioshock. I think it's a lesser clone of System Shock 2 and it really fell apart at the end, but I loved the graphics and art. Zack & Wiki is the most challenging game I've played all year, and Metroid Prime 3 is my favorite Adventure/FPS game because of the controls, which I enjoyed even more than Mouse and Keybaord (means a lot comming from a PC gamer).  Fire Emblem was a great SRPG (and a great sequel to PoR).  RE4 Wii Edition gets my award for best controls of the year.  

Anyway, enjoy your Wii. Personally I play my DS more than either my Wii or PC hehe.

twesterm said:
I can handle you not liking SMG, but I have to draw the line at Zack & Wiki, your opinion must match my own! Z&W is the most wonderful game evar.

Please, PLEASE, no bashing on Zack & Wiki. I'm taking that junk personal ...