By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Did Microsoft just make Nintendo's Wii U tablet irrevelant?

happydolphin said:
endimion said:

and you my friend are very annoying and disrespectful..... as much as i hate some brands fir personal reasons and beliefs (nintendo not being one of them i litteraly grew up with the brand).... I try to keep to a minimum the bashing of the people under their wings ...

second thank you at 29 going on 30 I have no need of recognition of my posts on a VG website to feel confortable about my integrity and credibility.... I was just answering a dumb post with a sarcastic one if you feel like the entire structure of my intelect seat on one post good for you....

second I never argued the confort of one over the other but the mere fact that the argument of number of hands against smartglass was dumb because to effectively and confortably use the WiiU tablet part with touch you also have to free one of your 2 hands from one side or the other from the "mechanical" part of the said pad.... then I merely argued that it would even be easier to use a separate tablet while having both hands on the pad buttonswith XB pad or for that matter any pad just becauseit's a physical fact I can have at least 4 fingers free at any moment on a pad but the only way I can touch a tablet with this would be with a separate tablet device........ did not say it was more confortable.... I even said lets not go there because of the ridicule of that line of argument....

and for the X time I'm part of the group that said that smartglass was a great add on and anybody saying it wasn't is either a moron with no clue or somebody with a lack of imagination.... but that it wasn't in anyway a killer app for thw WiiU pad.... I like to compare it to the bonus content on Blu Ray (smartglass) more than to the WiiU pad....

So before starting insulting and/or attacking people you know nothing about with argument that have little to no value beside being disrespectful and childish.... read properly.... there is a reason I bother reading every single page of a post before posting (I'll admit in most cases not all)

and while I think you have realy lame tacticts to achieve your own little auto satisfaction over actually trying to make the argument go forward I do agree 100% on the post above the one insulting me about iPads tablets with overlayed thumbstick being nowhere close to a pad..... you can't have the accuracy of laser (I pretty sure that is a laser sensor on the 360 pad not sure on the other) on a touch screen meant for fat highly innacurate human fingers... it's like comparing a surgical scalpel and a butcher knive and say both cut in the same way....

I'm sorry, I reread my gripe to you and it was pretty damn rude.

But I know using a 360 controller and a tablet is possible, it is just much more inconvenient.

1) You need to lay the tablet somewhere, odds are you will place it on your lap or beside you on the couch. You will twich, turn and bend everytime you need to use it. Now compare that with holding one device the hold time and having it right at reach exactly the moment you need it.

2) This does not take into account non-touch gaming interactions that involve the WiiUpad, such as what was shown in zombiU. You need the buttons and the pad at the same time for that. Sniper is the main argument here, but the uses are basically limitless.

I do find a sense of satisfaction in truth, so having misunderstood your sarcasm, I found dissatisfaction in how your post bended logic to fit your love for a company. But that's my fault for failing to read your sarcasm. But to be totally fair, it wasn't even funny, nor was it really meaningful in light of what he said. Basically you didn't even disprove him while being sarcastic.

Nobody's perfect, so I'll be less of a bad person, and you try to make posts that address what people are saying rather than what they aren't saying.

Again, sorry

no prob

about 2) I agree and said it also before I don't expect SG to do what WiiU pad does.... especially the things like augmented screen view like sniping.... even though I think it could be possible but you'd have  to dev the app so it knows exactly what phone/tablet you have and calibrate everything over it....

what I expect from SG is like I said a kind of super extra bonus feature like movies have on blu rays in better and more useful to the game (and not key element) for exemple being able to have maps displayed live, have inventory open, get data information like the codex in final fantasy but in a nicer more ebook like way with picture stats etc.... then have skill trees there with different explanation..... etc a ton of stuff you already have or use as a gamer but all accessible at the touch of a screen..... no more need to pause a game navigate through 10 tabs to get the formula of the superbad ass healing potion recipe..... or hours of surfing on game faqs or game wiki to know what stats that weapon have I just looted and its effect.... and one thing I can see is to have more hot keys too for some games.... I'm sure it would be easy to have a couple icons to have quick access to some extra potions a hotswap of equipment or just to switch between one shortcut layout on the d pad and the other.... 

anyway what I'm saying journalist like the forbes guy or eurogamers award.... are just morons or too stupid to see what potential extra stuff you can get from SG without even go all crazy on augmented stuff... just buy using the extra screen realestate to have stuff on for easy access....

Around the Network
endimion said:

no prob

about 2) I agree and said it also before I don't expect SG to do what WiiU pad does.... especially the things like augmented screen view like sniping.... even though I think it could be possible but you'd have  to dev the app so it knows exactly what phone/tablet you have and calibrate everything over it....

what I expect from SG is like I said a kind of super extra bonus feature like movies have on blu rays in better and more useful to the game (and not key element) for exemple being able to have maps displayed live, have inventory open, get data information like the codex in final fantasy but in a nicer more ebook like way with picture stats etc.... then have skill trees there with different explanation..... etc a ton of stuff you already have or use as a gamer but all accessible at the touch of a screen..... no more need to pause a game navigate through 10 tabs to get the formula of the superbad ass healing potion recipe..... or hours of surfing on game faqs or game wiki to know what stats that weapon have I just looted and its effect.... and one thing I can see is to have more hot keys too for some games.... I'm sure it would be easy to have a couple icons to have quick access to some extra potions a hotswap of equipment or just to switch between one shortcut layout on the d pad and the other.... 

anyway what I'm saying journalist like the forbes guy or eurogamers award.... are just morons or too stupid to see what potential extra stuff you can get from SG without even go all crazy on augmented stuff... just buy using the extra screen realestate to have stuff on for easy access....

Exactly. And while thx1139 showed that it could be possible to at least have a certain amount of WiiU like screen to screen superposition and such, as you said the proposition seems complex (for a reason you mentioned: varying screen sizes and whatnot), and out of place for the reason 2 provided.

You know, SG could possibly offer most WiiU features, but as you're saying, I just don't see it happening for most features due to complexity and inconvenience. However, for most of the Netflix, menu selection, map features of the WiiU, I do believe SG can rival very well in that category.

And to tie in with your gripe about the journalists in this ridiculous article, they fail to realize that neither WiiU nor PS3 (at least atm) will not implement SG, and so the WiiU pad is not irrelevant as long as Nintendo decides it does not want to use the SG technology. Pretty simple logic really, but they just don't get it. It's sad to be completely honest. Sad that humans don't push their intellects enough to avoid being so biased. But what can you do?

We complain here, but the author doesn' even hear it. All we can do is encourage each other not to be like that, and not to be jerks like me.

happydolphin said:

Also, you mention smartglass as a reason why people would not buy a WiiU, but I really do not see it, honestly. It could maybe skim off a minor fraction of marketshare, but if even kinect could not make such great headways into the casual market, I fail to see how smartglass is a stronger contender to be completely honest.

Even then, at this point, we're veering off discussion topic because I think the actual topic of Smartglass versus WiiU padlet truly has been covered, mostly in favor of WiiU, and mostly in favor of a change in thread title.

I'd love to discuss this topic, but we would really be going off-topic honestly.

Unless there is some breakthrough title that reaches out to the non Nintendo and Core audience than truly shows an experience that only can be done with a pad that also easily uses the buttons and control sticks. As someone else said there isnt much difference between taking your hand off the control sticks to have to use the touch screen then to take hand off controller to use tablet. Not to mention multi-touch tablets can use soft buttons for many of the functions that the Wii U pad requires a button along with the touch screen. 

Now with games that uses the Wii U tablet for an extra player to do extra things or simply just use the Will U tablet without buttons and sticks or the Wii U is optional to use then dont see any advantage at all for Wii U.  So that leaves the one advantage the Wii U tablet has is the type of game that must be played with the Wii U touch screen and the more traditional buttons and sticks (Remember when Nintendo preached simpler control methods) as the only game type that the Wii U touch screen has an advantage.

At E3 what games were of that type?  I recall Zombie U and maybe Batman:AC which is a game from 2011 with grafted on additional tasks.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:

Unless there is some breakthrough title that reaches out to the non Nintendo and Core audience than truly shows an experience that only can be done with a pad that also easily uses the buttons and control sticks. As someone else said there isnt much difference between taking your hand off the control sticks to have to use the touch screen then to take hand off controller to use tablet. Not to mention multi-touch tablets can use soft buttons for many of the functions that the Wii U pad requires a button along with the touch screen. 

Now with games that uses the Wii U tablet for an extra player to do extra things or simply just use the Will U tablet without buttons and sticks or the Wii U is optional to use then dont see any advantage at all for Wii U.  So that leaves the one advantage the Wii U tablet has is the type of game that must be played with the Wii U touch screen and the more traditional buttons and sticks (Remember when Nintendo preached simpler control methods) as the only game type that the Wii U touch screen has an advantage.

At E3 what games were of that type?  I recall Zombie U and maybe Batman:AC which is a game from 2011 with grafted on additional tasks.

Yes, you're right. ZombiU is the prime example of the advantages of the padlet. Batman to a lesser extent, though it made use of the scanner iirc.

A more debatable example is Rayman Legends and NSMBU, where the gaphics on the handheld match the TV graphics seamlessly, but you brought up a possible counterpoint to this advantage I had previously raised, so it's a debatable advantage. Still, one must admit the UPadlet is very seemless, and that's a performance guaranteed by Nintendo. The same can't be said about SG' use on tablets with possible multi-tasking and resources used by the OS, as well as various Network setups and configurations. However, barring all obstacles and configurations, I can agree that there is a possibility of SG to rival the Upadlet in the Legends/NSMBU case. Mind you, it's a guaranteed scenario for the Upad versus a best case scenario for SG.

Sorry, I left out this point.

thx1139 said:

Unless there is some breakthrough title that reaches out to the non Nintendo and Core audience than truly shows an experience that only can be done with a pad that also easily uses the buttons and control sticks. 

+

Not to mention multi-touch tablets can use soft buttons for many of the functions that the Wii U pad requires a button along with the touch screen.

These two don't go hand in hand. It's certainly true that core gamers are not interested in soft buttons. Otherwise, their gripes over Nintendo's controllers over the past 3 generations can go to hell.

As someone else said there isnt much difference between taking your hand off the control sticks to have to use the touch screen then to take hand off controller to use tablet.

I've addressed this one -> "1) You need to lay the tablet somewhere, odds are you will place it on your lap or beside you on the couch. You will twich, turn and bend everytime you need to use it. Now compare that with holding one device the hold time and having it right at reach exactly the moment you need it."

There isn't much difference, you may be right, but it's that minor difference that makes the difference between the WiiU being ferrari in this category and SG being a mazda, just as a comparison. The WiiU fits perfectly, whereas SG as endimion said well is more of a peripheral.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:

Sorry, I left out this point.

thx1139 said:

Unless there is some breakthrough title that reaches out to the non Nintendo and Core audience than truly shows an experience that only can be done with a pad that also easily uses the buttons and control sticks. 

+

Not to mention multi-touch tablets can use soft buttons for many of the functions that the Wii U pad requires a button along with the touch screen.

These two don't go hand in hand. It's certainly true that core gamers are not interested in soft buttons. Otherwise, their gripes over Nintendo's controllers over the past 3 generations can go to hell.

As someone else said there isnt much difference between taking your hand off the control sticks to have to use the touch screen then to take hand off controller to use tablet.

I've addressed this one -> "1) You need to lay the tablet somewhere, odds are you will place it on your lap or beside you on the couch. You will twich, turn and bend everytime you need to use it. Now compare that with holding one device the hold time and having it right at reach exactly the moment you need it."

There isn't much difference, you may be right, but it's that minor difference that makes the difference between the WiiU being ferrari in this category and SG being a mazda, just as a comparison. The WiiU fits perfectly, whereas SG as endimion said well is more of a peripheral.

And what will be the Ferrari and what will be the Mazda if say in a map I want to zoom or pan or rotate the map?  Well since the Wii U tablet is only single touch I would say that the Wii U table will be the mazda and the SmartGlass device the Ferrari.  Just saying that in some circumstances the Wii U tablet will be the inferior choice. 

Again I get down to the fact that the Wii U is quite likely to have a short lifespan. Shorter than the Wii lifespan.  1, 2, 3, 4 years from now the Wii U tablet will still be the same device with the same horsepower that is very likely already short on power compared to most of the smartphones that people have today. Let alone what will be sold this fall.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:

And what will be the Ferrari and what will be the Mazda if say in a map I want to zoom or pan or rotate the map?  Well since the Wii U tablet is only single touch I would say that the Wii U table will be the mazda and the SmartGlass device the Ferrari.  Just saying that in some circumstances the Wii U tablet will be the inferior choice. 

Again I get down to the fact that the Wii U is quite likely to have a short lifespan. Shorter than the Wii lifespan.  1, 2, 3, 4 years from now the Wii U tablet will still be the same device with the same horsepower that is very likely already short on power compared to most of the smartphones that people have today. Let alone what will be sold this fall.

Good point, but the power of the host machine (the 360 and eventually durango) will be capped, so this can only go so far.

Also, I already admitted to the multi-touch advantage of SG it's not cool to just bring that up when convenient. The Ferrari/Mazda metaphore I used just for that example, not for the whole WiiU pad vs SG debate.

So ultimately, there are 1 or 2 cases of advantage on the SG:

1) Multi-touch

2) Upgradability of tablet performance.

But for most other things the WiiU is on par and more convenient/better suited for independent dual-screen gaming.

happydolphin said:
thx1139 said:

Good point, but the power of the host machine (the 360 and eventually durango) will be capped, so this can only go so far.

Also, I already admitted to the multi-touch advantage of SG it's not cool to just bring that up when convenient. The Ferrari/Mazda metaphore I used just for that example, not for the whole WiiU pad vs SG debate.

So ultimately, there are 1 or 2 cases of advantage on the SG:

1) Multi-touch

2) Upgradability of tablet performance.

But for most other things the WiiU is on par and more convenient/better suited for independent dual-screen gaming.

I saw that yesterday  http://dvice.com/archives/2012/06/hands-on-new-xb.php 

so it confirms what I thought it will be seemless connection through wi-fi for the smartglass...

but to go back on your debate.... you are assuming that the casual part of the Wii crowd will be in for the WiiU that's where I have my doubts.... I have no problem admitting it is a nice product in line with nintendo tradition and a lot of gamers and nintendo fans will be on board and therefor the WiiU will be probably successful.... but that pad and the graphic bump up won't be enough IMHO to stimulate the craze you had in the casual market for the Wii and the motion control.... they might switch later on but by then the other players (sony/MS) will be on the market too.... I doubt WiiU will have the success and jump in sales over Sony and MS they did this gen..... unless they do a massive add campaign and even then.... I don't see the appeal they can incure toward that crowd....especially with that name.... we are talking about casuals will they even realise WiiU is a new product.... I mean I know tons of casual that have no interest in gaming more than the couple games they have that still don't really know the diff between a PS3 or PS2 or even XB at some point playstation was almost a generic term in the casual market.... ask gamestop employees when they have momies coming in to buy games for the kids.....

we'll see but I have very little faith on the fact that the amount of casual that got into gaming this gen will switch to next gen that easily.... and I also think that for MS if marketed right win8 phones, tablets and the next XB could end up more appealing to that crowd because of the cross compatibility.... don't forget that a company like MS will be pushing their eccosystem on more than just the gaming side of thing within 2 years.... that might play this time arround....

I'm not saying MS will take the crown.... but I think their is definately a lot of unknown on where the casual crowd will go and when.....and that's also why I think something like smartglass is a really smart move from MS.... 

endimion said:

so it confirms what I thought it will be seemless connection through wi-fi for the smartglass...

but to go back on your debate.... you are assuming that the casual part of the Wii crowd will be in for the WiiU that's where I have my doubts.... I have no problem admitting it is a nice product in line with nintendo tradition and a lot of gamers and nintendo fans will be on board and therefor the WiiU will be probably successful.... but that pad and the graphic bump up won't be enough IMHO to stimulate the craze you had in the casual market for the Wii and the motion control.... they might switch later on but by then the other players (sony/MS) will be on the market too.... I doubt WiiU will have the success and jump in sales over Sony and MS they did this gen..... unless they do a massive add campaign and even then.... I don't see the appeal they can incure toward that crowd....especially with that name.... we are talking about casuals will they even realise WiiU is a new product.... I mean I know tons of casual that have no interest in gaming more than the couple games they have that still don't really know the diff between a PS3 or PS2 or even XB at some point playstation was almost a generic term in the casual market.... ask gamestop employees when they have momies coming in to buy games for the kids.....

we'll see but I have very little faith on the fact that the amount of casual that got into gaming this gen will switch to next gen that easily.... and I also think that for MS if marketed right win8 phones, tablets and the next XB could end up more appealing to that crowd because of the cross compatibility.... don't forget that a company like MS will be pushing their eccosystem on more than just the gaming side of thing within 2 years.... that might play this time arround....

I'm not saying MS will take the crown.... but I think their is definately a lot of unknown on where the casual crowd will go and when.....and that's also why I think something like smartglass is a really smart move from MS.... 

I can't argue much with this post, and the tablet point at the end is a good one, they are massively owned, so it's a good platform to tap into.

Ultimately, we have two different opinions as to how successful the WiiU will be, but knowing Nintendo, I truly believe they will surprise many people, as their success is always counter-intuitive.

Then again, when it comes to the actual debate, I think we've come full circle to say that the last thing the SG does is making the WiiU pad irrelevant, they are two very different market propositions, each with their strengths and weaknesses.

I enjoyed this discussion and let's hold onto our seats as we watch the gen go along with excitement (as usual ).

happydolphin said:
endimion said:

I can't argue much with this post, and the tablet point at the end is a good one, they are massively owned, so it's a good platform to tap into.

Ultimately, we have two different opinions as to how successful the WiiU will be, but knowing Nintendo, I truly believe they will surprise many people, as their success is always counter-intuitive.

Then again, when it comes to the actual debate, I think we've come full circle to say that the last thing the SG does is making the WiiU pad irrelevant, they are two very different market propositions, each with their strengths and weaknesses.

I enjoyed this discussion and let's hold onto our seats as we watch the gen go along with excitement (as usual ).

well I'm too lazy to start another post. but yeah SG is not the same IMO than the WiiU pad and won't make it irrelevent.

I also have faith in nintendo about having good sales.

I'm just saying out of the 200 millions in house console customers this generation (more or less) I'm not sure the casual slice of the pie will shift that easy whether they have a Wii a PS3 with move or an XB with Kinect.... the tech savy ones yeah.... 

but you have countless of retirement home, day care centers, older adults that bought a Wii for various reason and still have only 3 games (Wii sport, Wii fitness and maybe an other big one) and never bought anything else since.... that I don't think will even realise a new console is out or even if they do if they will look into it. he kind of people that buy a TV and keep it until it dies not until something better and new comes out.... the same crowd that still have computers at home running on win 95.

people like you and me are not the core market that Wii attracted at the begining. I remember my 93 years old grand ma talking about some of her lady friend talking about buying Wii's for when the children and/or grand children where around. not sure WiiU will have the same appeal to that specific crowd...