By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do people actually understand how welfare in America works?

Well sure their are many people that do welfare correctly but you can't deny the rotten eggs. Everyone knows people that have cheated the system. For example a friend's family went under and started getting help from the gov. As a result they ended up being able to buy a new car, smartphones, and big TVs. After declaring bankruptcy and losing a job they started living better.

Around the Network

it works?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I don't know who you are talking to, but reasonable people don't think people truly down on their luck should be left out in the cold. That's why there are so many charities that get donations to help the poor and homeless. I don't know how anyone could think welfare life is posh living. But there are people on welfare who don't want off welfare.

What taxpayers don't like is seeing third, forth, and fifth generation welfare families who seem to be content living in poverty. They don't work, don't want to work, and somehow keep their kids. In Oregon, where I live, food stamps now come on a debit card along with an allowance. So not only is there no embarrassing disincentive associated with a card, like there would be with regular food stamps, but people can buy themselves cigarettes, bear, etc. when they should be providing healthy food for their children. I worked at a grocery store for a number of years and it killed me that a portion of my check was going to social slugs. I'm happy to pay taxes when the money goes to people who deserve it. There is a very real need for government help for the ones who are trying and to provide a safety net for innocent children. But, welfare is supposed to help people get back on their feet not allow them to never try by intentionally blowing job interviews. Unfortunately the reality of the situation is that America is full of people content with living on government cheese so long as they don't have to work. I don't understand it, but apparently there are a lot of people who do want to live in a van down by the river.

I don't lump everyone on welfare into one stinky generalized mass. I know there are many good people who just need a little help getting back on their feet. But the fact is there are tons of human wastes of space that want nothing more out of life than more welfare. I don't have any easy solution, but as I see it the welfare system in the USA is broken. Not because it's hard living on welfare, but because so many people have found a way to permanently eek out a welfare life.

zimbawawa said:
Cobretti2 said:
As an outsider living in AUS looking into the US, I don't think anyone here thinks that American welfare is great.

On the other hand look at Australia:

pf = per fortnight

Basic rates
• Single, no children $489.70 pf
• Single, with dependent child(ren) $529.80 pf
• Single, aged 60 or over, after nine continuous
months on payment $529.80 pf
• Partnered (each) $442.00 pf
• Single, principal carer of a dependent child (granted an
exemption for foster caring/home schooling/distance
education/large family) $648.50 pf

Key things:
1) you can be on welfare (we call it the dole) here for as long as it takes you to find a job. Most do not look for jobs as that call the welfare their paycheck.
2) All you need to prove is that you "tried" applying for jobs.
3) Aus use to give out a baby bonus ($5000 luimp payment per child born). So a lot of these people who have kids just so they could buy smokes or big screen TVs. Now (perhaps soon) it will be done as cupons for baby products.
4) Minimum wage in Australia is barely above those pf rates (after taxes). There is no incentive for these people to work as free money that is similar amount is better then working for it.
5) They get concession cards, so free or cheap medical, cheaper public transport etc..

Then there is out tax system which is another long story haha. Basically the harder you work to make something of your life, the more penalites in surchage taxes you get (like penalty for not having priavte health cover).

Little effect on the gov books considering your country's booming mining industry

Most Aussie do not mind helping someone that is in need, but sadly our dole system is exploited by generational families (3-4generations) who don't want to work. I feel sorry for the young kids as that is all they know, they are not given the opportunity to better there life due to family influences.

However, booms end. Then what will happen? Also a lot of the mining industry is owned by foreign partners, so major $$$ leaving the country.

Sadly our government takes this boom for granted and  wastefully spends the money. It does not reinvest enough money into road and infastructure. Our capital cities public transport sytems have not expanded for decades. Sadly most people have to work in the CBD, but affordable houses (ones that cost less than $550,000-$600,000 for three bedroom family home) are out 30-40kms away from the CBD, where some areas have no public transport. Driving in is a nightmare and it costs a lot to park.

basically I am saying, the money could be spent better and crackdowns on those who exploit the system should happen. That way Australi can continue to develop. Instead of live life to the full at 200% pace till the money runs out.

Cobretti2 said:
zimbawawa said:

Little effect on the gov books considering your country's booming mining industry

Most Aussie do not mind helping someone that is in need, but sadly our dole system is exploited by generational families (3-4generations) who don't want to work. I feel sorry for the young kids as that is all they know, they are not given the opportunity to better there life due to family influences.

However, booms end. Then what will happen? Also a lot of the mining industry is owned by foreign partners, so major $$$ leaving the country.

Sadly our government takes this boom for granted and  wastefully spends the money. It does not reinvest enough money into road and infastructure. Our capital cities public transport sytems have not expanded for decades. Sadly most people have to work in the CBD, but affordable houses (ones that cost less than $550,000-$600,000 for three bedroom family home) are out 30-40kms away from the CBD, where some areas have no public transport. Driving in is a nightmare and it costs a lot to park.

basically I am saying, the money could be spent better and crackdowns on those who exploit the system should happen. That way Australi can continue to develop. Instead of live life to the full at 200% pace till the money runs out.

I imagine a large chunk of these families living of the dole are native australians.

A bit of an exaggeration dont you think. Tightening of the welfare policies may free up some capital but it may also worsen/shift costs to other areas of society such as health costs, poverty...and also a welfare crackdown will not resolve those infrastructural issues you mentioned.

Around the Network

I'm still a fan of the negative income tax myself.

As it is though, I think your just not good at gaming the system Richard. Half the business at the store i work at is people coming in gambling there welfare money or buying random snacks with their EBT.

Maybe Nevada's just different but I don't think there is any time limit here for most of the programs.

https://dwss.nv.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=239

It all about personal responsibility,but welfare should be for those that really need it,but what qualifies as really needing welfare? That's were people take advantage.

kain_kusanagi said:
I don't know who you are talking to, but reasonable people don't think people truly down on their luck should be left out in the cold. That's why there are so many charities that get donations to help the poor and homeless. I don't know how anyone could think welfare life is posh living. But there are people on welfare who don't want off welfare.

What taxpayers don't like is seeing third, forth, and fifth generation welfare families who seem to be content living in poverty. They don't work, don't want to work, and somehow keep their kids. In Oregon, where I live, food stamps now come on a debit card along with an allowance. So not only is there no embarrassing disincentive associated with a card, like there would be with regular food stamps, but people can buy themselves cigarettes, bear, etc. when they should be providing healthy food for their children. I worked at a grocery store for a number of years and it killed me that a portion of my check was going to social slugs. I'm happy to pay taxes when the money goes to people who deserve it. There is a very real need for government help for the ones who are trying and to provide a safety net for innocent children. But, welfare is supposed to help people get back on their feet not allow them to never try by intentionally blowing job interviews. Unfortunately the reality of the situation is that America is full of people content with living on government cheese so long as they don't have to work. I don't understand it, but apparently there are a lot of people who do want to live in a van down by the river.

I don't lump everyone on welfare into one stinky generalized mass. I know there are many good people who just need a little help getting back on their feet. But the fact is there are tons of human wastes of space that want nothing more out of life than more welfare. I don't have any easy solution, but as I see it the welfare system in the USA is broken. Not because it's hard living on welfare, but because so many people have found a way to permanently eek out a welfare life.

I believe that one of the things that people do is try to find a way to permanently eek out an existence wherever they are.  And, if you don't have any degree of hope, you settle on welfare.  I am seeing this ever increasing pressure on myself.  I am being forced to live a very, very spartan life, where even buying french fries to get something to eat can mean I don't have money to keep a car on the road.  Why have a car? I live in a place without mass transit.  I am having to learn to live on the welfare money, because I haven't done paid work in so long, and don't see much hope of it either.  This will particularly happen if I end up losing my parents, who are helping out.  Yes, I have a Masters degree, and am not able to find work now.   Factor in coming off back surgery and not allowed lifting and retail is even out.

Thing is, people do want more.  I just don't think they see how.  Heck, unless I get a breakthrough in my game designs stuff, I don't see it either.  I really don't.  I am now in my 40s and IT is about to be closed for me.  I don't even see how to get into the field where I have my Masters, unless it is by the game route.

Kasz216 said:

I'm still a fan of the negative income tax myself.

As it is though, I think your just not good at gaming the system Richard. Half the business at the store i work at is people coming in gambling there welfare money or buying random snacks with their EBT.

Maybe Nevada's just different but I don't think there is any time limit here for most of the programs.

https://dwss.nv.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=239

States may be different, but there a time limit on federal programs.  Now, what happens after this time limit is a question though.

I did see this on the nv site, but you may be right about not gaming the system well, because I may have to, particularly if lack of work continues.  Will see what happens after a few more months and how I am doing.

I saw this on the page you listed above, by the way:

Work Rules:

With certain exceptions, able-bodied adults ages 16 through 59 must register for work, accept an offer of suitable work, or take part in an employment and training program to which they are referred by the Employment and Training Program.

Generally, able-bodied adults aged 18 through 49 who do not have or live with children and are not pregnant can only get SNAP benefits for 3 months in a 3-year period unless they are working or participating in a work or workfare program. There are a few exceptions.

HexenLord said:
Not sure what to say here.

Welfare recipients can be split up into 2 groups.

The first group are people who are actually trying. They are trying to get a job but most won't hire them. They try to pay their bills but are still having trouble. They try to make a life for themselves but are in a low spot.

The other group is where the complaints originate. I myself have lived on welfare for a good while after my parents divorced. My mom had a full time job and was trying, but it still wasn't enough to pay all of the bills plus take care of 2 children. We settled into a neighborhood that had very low rental rates. Apparently, the majority of everyone in this neighborhood was in a similar situation. Then I started to get acquainted to the other side. Women spitting out a child a year for most of their adult lives, not a single father anywhere to be seen, and they didn't care. They wanted children and didn't care if the fathers stuck around. They made no attempts at getting a job and barely even made attempts to raise their 4-8 kids. These children ran around constantly vandalizing property, breaking into houses and cars, doing whatever they wanted. When I would ask the parents what they planned on doing for work, they would tell me nothing; that they didn't care because they got welfare, food stamps, huge income tax returns, section 8 housing, and the list grows.

I'm sorry but even as a person on welfare, it would dig at the deepest nerve to see a woman in ragged clothing walking into the local Walmart with her 6 children letting them run around and scream and do whatever they wanted so that they could come in and grab a couple cases of beer and some cigars and go back home.

If those are food assistance dollars, then that would be the fault of the state, NOT the federal government.

The federal government does not regulate how food assistance money is used, the states must do that.  Some states use credit/debit cards and limit where that money can be spent and what items that money can be spent on.  For instance, alcohol, tobacco, fast food, and gambling (lottery tickets) are prohibited uses.  In some states, like Michigan where they have a bottle refund program, even carbonated beverages are prohibited because people can convert that into cash for other purposes that food assistance money cannot be used for.

So, if someone is walking into a store and paying for alcohol, it's either the state's fault OR those are funds that they have been given or earned elsewhere.