By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do people actually understand how welfare in America works?

Mr Khan said:
Marks said:
richardhutnik said:
Marks said:
Welfare creates the welfare trap where it's easier to just stay on welfare than get a job that would only pay slightly better. I could get behind the negative income tax, which encourages you to find work, since your income would be boosted.

But of course my top option would be to get rid of welfare all together. I'm a 20 year old with no past work experience, this summer is the first time I've tried to find a job, and I was able to get a job for the summer within a week of sending out my resume. The employer got back to me in I think it was 1 or 2 days after I emailed him my resume, an interview was set up, and he hired me on the spot after the interview. I don't get why the government lets people stay on welfare for so long when it's easy as fuck to get a job. If welfare is to stay around it should be for a maximum period of about a month after getting laid off/fired. If I can find a job within a week with no past work experience, then you can't tell me the people on welfare now can't find jobs.

There is the Earned Income Tax Credit, which is almost like the negative income tax, for people who do work.  If someone does work a job, they can get the Earned Income Tax Credit, and the Federal Government sends them money during income tax time.  

The thing today is that it isn't as easy as fk to find a job.  It may of been better than before, but it just isn't there as prevalently.  They had a year or two ago, the National Hiring Day where they hired 60000 people out over 1 million that applied.  Around 20% or less of teenagers out there currently have jobs.  The rest of the jobs are filled with college graduates and also seniors who are working.  You happen to be one of the lucky ones.

The EITC sounds pretty good. I'll have to read into that. I would love a program like that to replace the welfare system entirely. 

And I probably did get a bit lucky being hired that quickly, but I really don't know how it can be that hard for people to get jobs. Everywhere I got fast food places and random stores have help wanted signs up. I think the problem really is people just don't want to do shit work like fast food so they'd rather not even apply.

I've applied for all sorts of fast-food work, and haven't gotten hired by anyone since KFC in 2008 (which i had to give up to go to college). McDonald's, Wendy's, no minimum wage job will hire me, because i'm overqualified, and they know as well as i do that i'll drop them for the first real opportunity that comes up. Meanwhile, i don't have experience for real jobs and don't have the money to get unpaid experience (and even free  internships are hard as hell to get).

It isn't pleasant out there, due to employer greed.

That really sucks man. Sorry to hear that. 

I don't blame the employer though man, I think it's the government's fault you don't have a job. If there wasn't a minimum wage then the business could pay you a fair/competitive market wage for your services, instead of being forced to pay you more than the value you would bring to the company. Yeah you wouldn't earn as much, but you could gain the experience you need for a better job down the road. 

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
sperrico87 said:

If I ever found myself unemployed, I would rather die than take a dime of government assistance.  If you've spent you entire career paying into the system, then you receive social security.  I'm not calling social security beneficiaries leeches.  I'm not sure what your angle is here, but you're either an asshole or just looking for a fight.  Or both. 

Let's try to broach this gently. Have you ever witnessed true poverty?

Shit the fact that I have is why I like the idea of a negative income tax best, replacing all forms of welfare.

All the restrictions and random bullshit they try and pull just doesn't work and it seems like all it does is make it so the people who can game the system give the benefit while regular people just end up screwed.

Seen so many people who deserve aid not get it because they go in looking for help, while other people you just wanna slap get coverage just because they're looking for some extra money for drugs or gambling or whatever.  So many people staying up for days wandering around getting kicked out of where they live because they're doing this or that.

Truth is, you can do EVERYTHING in the world and there are still some people you can't help.  Best to just go at it with a negative income tax, give everyone who makes below a certain amount some money, and then leave those who refuse to change to themselves... that and hope those that actually give a damn do suceed.

Cause like I said, as it is, making strict requirements usually just lead to ONLY the conmen getting this stuff.

Mr Khan said:
Marks said:
Welfare creates the welfare trap where it's easier to just stay on welfare than get a job that would only pay slightly better. I could get behind the negative income tax, which encourages you to find work, since your income would be boosted.

But of course my top option would be to get rid of welfare all together. I'm a 20 year old with no past work experience, this summer is the first time I've tried to find a job, and I was able to get a job for the summer within a week of sending out my resume. The employer got back to me in I think it was 1 or 2 days after I emailed him my resume, an interview was set up, and he hired me on the spot after the interview. I don't get why the government lets people stay on welfare for so long when it's easy as fuck to get a job. If welfare is to stay around it should be for a maximum period of about a month after getting laid off/fired. If I can find a job within a week with no past work experience, then you can't tell me the people on welfare now can't find jobs.

Easy as fuck to get a job? What universe are you living in?

Lol. Mark you're very ignorant

Kasz216 said:
Aielyn said:
Cobretti2 said:
As an outsider living in AUS looking into the US, I don't think anyone here thinks that American welfare is great.

On the other hand look at Australia:

pf = per fortnight

Basic rates
• Single, no children $489.70 pf
• Single, with dependent child(ren) $529.80 pf
• Single, aged 60 or over, after nine continuous
months on payment $529.80 pf
• Partnered (each) $442.00 pf
• Single, principal carer of a dependent child (granted an
exemption for foster caring/home schooling/distance
education/large family) $648.50 pf

Key things:
1) you can be on welfare (we call it the dole) here for as long as it takes you to find a job. Most do not look for jobs as that call the welfare their paycheck.
2) All you need to prove is that you "tried" applying for jobs.
3) Aus use to give out a baby bonus ($5000 luimp payment per child born). So a lot of these people who have kids just so they could buy smokes or big screen TVs. Now (perhaps soon) it will be done as cupons for baby products.
4) Minimum wage in Australia is barely above those pf rates (after taxes). There is no incentive for these people to work as free money that is similar amount is better then working for it.
5) They get concession cards, so free or cheap medical, cheaper public transport etc..

Then there is out tax system which is another long story haha. Basically the harder you work to make something of your life, the more penalites in surchage taxes you get (like penalty for not having priavte health cover).

3) I'm sorry, but that's just absurd thinking on your part, probably driven by idiotic radio shock-jocks who make those sorts of claims with no backup evidence. Do you honestly think that a person would go through nine months of pregnancy, followed by things that apply after childbirth, just for $5000 for cigarettes or a TV? Seriously? If you actually think any sane person would do that, you're lacking in sanity, yourself.

I actually know someone who's relative did that.

Pissed her off because when she really needed it, she didn't qualify, while she kept having more and more kids for the financial benefits.... kids were in raggity old clothes, eating garbage.  To the point of where relatives were trying to buy the kids clothes while she was buying stuff like big screen tvs etc.

And the worst part?  She had the gene makeup for downs syndrome.  Most of her kids ended up with downs syndrome.  Was depressing as hell.

You'd be surprised what people can do.... and I mean, i don't know about Austrlia, but to a poor person here?  $5,000 is a hell of a lot of money.

I mean shoot.  $5,000... I wouldn't have to work 4-5 months, and I pay my bills.

wow, this is very sad. The fact she knew about the marker and was purposely doing this.

Cobretti2 said:
Kasz216 said:
Aielyn said:
Cobretti2 said:

I actually know someone who's relative did that.

Pissed her off because when she really needed it, she didn't qualify, while she kept having more and more kids for the financial benefits.... kids were in raggity old clothes, eating garbage.  To the point of where relatives were trying to buy the kids clothes while she was buying stuff like big screen tvs etc.

And the worst part?  She had the gene makeup for downs syndrome.  Most of her kids ended up with downs syndrome.  Was depressing as hell.

You'd be surprised what people can do.... and I mean, i don't know about Austrlia, but to a poor person here?  $5,000 is a hell of a lot of money.

I mean shoot.  $5,000... I wouldn't have to work 4-5 months, and I pay my bills.

wow, this is very sad. The fact she knew about the marker and was purposely doing this.

Yeah, no real way to stop it though.  Outside like... Eugenics.  Which... no.

The thing to realize with government policies is there isn't a perfect one, (even inaction) it's all about finding the one with the most palatable short term AND long term flaws.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:
sperrico87 said:

If I ever found myself unemployed, I would rather die than take a dime of government assistance.  If you've spent you entire career paying into the system, then you receive social security.  I'm not calling social security beneficiaries leeches.  I'm not sure what your angle is here, but you're either an asshole or just looking for a fight.  Or both. 

Let's try to broach this gently. Have you ever witnessed true poverty?

Shit the fact that I have is why I like the idea of a negative income tax best, replacing all forms of welfare.

All the restrictions and random bullshit they try and pull just doesn't work and it seems like all it does is make it so the people who can game the system give the benefit while regular people just end up screwed.

Seen so many people who deserve aid not get it because they go in looking for help, while other people you just wanna slap get coverage just because they're looking for some extra money for drugs or gambling or whatever.  So many people staying up for days wandering around getting kicked out of where they live because they're doing this or that.

Truth is, you can do EVERYTHING in the world and there are still some people you can't help.  Best to just go at it with a negative income tax, give everyone who makes below a certain amount some money, and then leave those who refuse to change to themselves... that and hope those that actually give a damn do suceed.

Cause like I said, as it is, making strict requirements usually just lead to ONLY the conmen getting this stuff.

Well, there is the Earned Income Tax Credit, which gets close to the idea of Milton Freedman.  Since people in America support people working, they don't mind something like this.  As clean and simple as the Negative Income Tax is, look at the rants that pop up against how people are irresponsible and exploit government handouts (even the guy in here who thinks I am a leech, despite the fact I am recovering from a disk being removed via surgery and can't even sit prolonged periods).  Then there is talk of booze or whatever.   Because people WANT the government to be a nanny for those on welfare, to make sure their tax dollars aren't wasted, you will never get a real negative income tax, because people feel that the poor just aren't responsible.  Thus, no negative income tax and a big nanny over everyone unless they have enough money to hire lawyers to navigate the system.

Marks said:
Mr Khan said:
Marks said:
richardhutnik said:
Marks said:

There is the Earned Income Tax Credit, which is almost like the negative income tax, for people who do work.  If someone does work a job, they can get the Earned Income Tax Credit, and the Federal Government sends them money during income tax time.  

The thing today is that it isn't as easy as fk to find a job.  It may of been better than before, but it just isn't there as prevalently.  They had a year or two ago, the National Hiring Day where they hired 60000 people out over 1 million that applied.  Around 20% or less of teenagers out there currently have jobs.  The rest of the jobs are filled with college graduates and also seniors who are working.  You happen to be one of the lucky ones.

The EITC sounds pretty good. I'll have to read into that. I would love a program like that to replace the welfare system entirely. 

And I probably did get a bit lucky being hired that quickly, but I really don't know how it can be that hard for people to get jobs. Everywhere I got fast food places and random stores have help wanted signs up. I think the problem really is people just don't want to do shit work like fast food so they'd rather not even apply.

I've applied for all sorts of fast-food work, and haven't gotten hired by anyone since KFC in 2008 (which i had to give up to go to college). McDonald's, Wendy's, no minimum wage job will hire me, because i'm overqualified, and they know as well as i do that i'll drop them for the first real opportunity that comes up. Meanwhile, i don't have experience for real jobs and don't have the money to get unpaid experience (and even free  internships are hard as hell to get).

It isn't pleasant out there, due to employer greed.

That really sucks man. Sorry to hear that. 

I don't blame the employer though man, I think it's the government's fault you don't have a job. If there wasn't a minimum wage then the business could pay you a fair/competitive market wage for your services, instead of being forced to pay you more than the value you would bring to the company. Yeah you wouldn't earn as much, but you could gain the experience you need for a better job down the road. 

The goal of working isn't just to work: It is to make a living.  Of course, for the human wellbeing to end up not doing anything rots the soul.  What usually pops up whenever minimum wage is discussed is that there isn't really a need for it, because the free market pays people enough that it isn't needed.  And the argument to end up with no mimimum wage is so that teens would be able to become more employable.  Maybe in this, people would want to make bagging groceries for tips alone in America as a viable option.

Anyhow, there are ways to do end arounds and get things going, if one works things right.   But, on the other side, there are MUCH deeper systemic issues at work here that are a problem, because you are looking at 50% of college grads either unemployed or underemployed (working jobs that don't need college degrees).  

It all depends on who you are and how you look at it.

I've been a landlord over tenants who were on welfare for considerable periods of time. They were always the worst to deal with. Rarely paid on time, but always had beer and cigarettes. Kids would be in tatters, but mom would have decent clothes most of the time.

Like others have said, welfare should begin and end inside the society itself - what it can contribute to help the needy. It sickens me how much money I have to pay out in taxes for Social Security, Medicare, and other welfare-type systems.... Arguably 60-70% of what I am taxed goes towards some sort of redistribution as opposed to services I get.

God knows that if I didn't have to pay out that 60-70% (which amounts to quite a bit of money), I could do a lot more for the needy in my area.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

sperrico87 said:

If you were able to give freely, then why would you need welfare in the first place?  I thought welfare was for people who were so disadvantaged that they couldn't afford basic food or shelter?  If you're in a position to give anything, then you shouldn't be in a position to require welfare.

I do not care at all about you being on welfare.  I think you're a leech and you should go get a job.  If you're unable to fend for yourself, then go to your family for help.  If that is not possible, then turn to a church or private charity for help.  I shouldn't be taxed so that you can get a free cell phone and not have to pay for food or housing.  That's total bullshit. 

I find it abhorrent that there's people out there who get free housing and don't have to pay for food, and they don't even have to work for a living.  That offends me greatly, and it's not what this country is all about.   When the government gives you something for free, that means they had to take it from someone else to give it to you.  It means working people like myself are heavily taxed and burdened with having to support you, all the while we don't get anything for free and once we've met all of our obligations there's usually not anything left over.  It's not fair to us that there out people out there who don't work hard and get things for free.

* People can give more than money to help people.  People can give stuff they had at one time, when they were working, and no longer need now.  People can also give their time.

* You apparently do not know how welfare works.

* You apparently know nothing about my situation, how I had to give up a part-time janitor position due to my back and went through two back surgeries and am not in a place where I am employable at this time.  You also don't realize I do get help from family and church.  

* You apparently are blind to the concept of a social contract and norms, and understand that in a nation, people aren't islands, and there is a need to maintain things.  You also, on the one hand, harp that I should get a job, but then also fail to realize the only way I am now on the path to get a job was to get surgery via Medicaid so I can be able to work.  I had a degenerative disk in my back that had to be removed.  There was NO other source to pay for it, outside of Medicaid to cover it.  This is not some sort of fictional universe where all of a suddent welfare goes poof and things go right.  Flat out, without government paying for surgery, I would of been permanently out of action the rest of my life.  But go on, and don't see how things are connected.  Believe you are a special person who isn't connected to anyone else in any way.  You can do that.  Of course, you would be detached from reality here, but that is your choice to do so.  This article would go into where you come from:

http://open.salon.com/blog/awop/2012/05/17/how_the_ayn_rand-loving_right_is_like_a_bunch_of_teenage_boys_gone_crazy

As for myself, due to the lack of an ability to work, I currently do freelance game design stuff, getting published, working to find ways off welfare in ways I can do things.  I also started a non-profit when I could even find volunteer work to beef up a resume.  I do work on what I can, within my ability to act.  Well, I wouldn't expect you to see this, but you apparently do manifest a very ballsy ignorance that is braisen and really stands out as not having a clue.  Seriously, you lack a number of clues.  If you had one, you might even find some compassion.

mrstickball said:
It all depends on who you are and how you look at it.

I've been a landlord over tenants who were on welfare for considerable periods of time. They were always the worst to deal with. Rarely paid on time, but always had beer and cigarettes. Kids would be in tatters, but mom would have decent clothes most of the time.

Like others have said, welfare should begin and end inside the society itself - what it can contribute to help the needy. It sickens me how much money I have to pay out in taxes for Social Security, Medicare, and other welfare-type systems.... Arguably 60-70% of what I am taxed goes towards some sort of redistribution as opposed to services I get.

God knows that if I didn't have to pay out that 60-70% (which amounts to quite a bit of money), I could do a lot more for the needy in my area.

I will go with the reasoning found in Mike Huckabee's book, "Do the Right Thing" which looks at two towns and asks which one would have lower taxes.  One is a high crime inner city where people are hostile, there is drugs and the whole lot.  The other is one with better values, and people doing the right thing, and being good neighbors.  Mike asks which one would have lower taxes, and I believe lower costs, to live.   It utterly sucks that you have that with kids, where the mother uses the kids, and barely takes care of them.  All that ends up causing an even large nanny state to pop up, unless either people stop caring how children are treated, or starts to intervene as a community.  When they don't, the government grows.  What I find folly is that there are people who believe all these problems will just go away if you stop funding government.  That is cart before the horse, in my opinion, although the cart can contribute.