By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do people actually understand how welfare in America works?

Marks said:
Welfare creates the welfare trap where it's easier to just stay on welfare than get a job that would only pay slightly better. I could get behind the negative income tax, which encourages you to find work, since your income would be boosted.

But of course my top option would be to get rid of welfare all together. I'm a 20 year old with no past work experience, this summer is the first time I've tried to find a job, and I was able to get a job for the summer within a week of sending out my resume. The employer got back to me in I think it was 1 or 2 days after I emailed him my resume, an interview was set up, and he hired me on the spot after the interview. I don't get why the government lets people stay on welfare for so long when it's easy as fuck to get a job. If welfare is to stay around it should be for a maximum period of about a month after getting laid off/fired. If I can find a job within a week with no past work experience, then you can't tell me the people on welfare now can't find jobs.

There is the Earned Income Tax Credit, which is almost like the negative income tax, for people who do work.  If someone does work a job, they can get the Earned Income Tax Credit, and the Federal Government sends them money during income tax time.  

The thing today is that it isn't as easy as fk to find a job.  It may of been better than before, but it just isn't there as prevalently.  They had a year or two ago, the National Hiring Day where they hired 60000 people out over 1 million that applied.  Around 20% or less of teenagers out there currently have jobs.  The rest of the jobs are filled with college graduates and also seniors who are working.  You happen to be one of the lucky ones.

Around the Network
Marks said:
Welfare creates the welfare trap where it's easier to just stay on welfare than get a job that would only pay slightly better. I could get behind the negative income tax, which encourages you to find work, since your income would be boosted.

But of course my top option would be to get rid of welfare all together. I'm a 20 year old with no past work experience, this summer is the first time I've tried to find a job, and I was able to get a job for the summer within a week of sending out my resume. The employer got back to me in I think it was 1 or 2 days after I emailed him my resume, an interview was set up, and he hired me on the spot after the interview. I don't get why the government lets people stay on welfare for so long when it's easy as fuck to get a job. If welfare is to stay around it should be for a maximum period of about a month after getting laid off/fired. If I can find a job within a week with no past work experience, then you can't tell me the people on welfare now can't find jobs.

Easy as fuck to get a job? What universe are you living in?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

richardhutnik said:
Marks said:

There is the Earned Income Tax Credit, which is almost like the negative income tax, for people who do work.  If someone does work a job, they can get the Earned Income Tax Credit, and the Federal Government sends them money during income tax time.  

The thing today is that it isn't as easy as fk to find a job.  It may of been better than before, but it just isn't there as prevalently.  They had a year or two ago, the National Hiring Day where they hired 60000 people out over 1 million that applied.  Around 20% or less of teenagers out there currently have jobs.  The rest of the jobs are filled with college graduates and also seniors who are working.  You happen to be one of the lucky ones.

The EITC sounds pretty good. I'll have to read into that. I would love a program like that to replace the welfare system entirely. 

And I probably did get a bit lucky being hired that quickly, but I really don't know how it can be that hard for people to get jobs. Everywhere I got fast food places and random stores have help wanted signs up. I think the problem really is people just don't want to do shit work like fast food so they'd rather not even apply.

Mr Khan said:
Marks said:

Easy as fuck to get a job? What universe are you living in?

Southern Ontario, Canada. Is the problem really it's hard to get a job, or that people don't want to degrade themselves to the point of working fast food or manual labour jobs? 

I will grant you "easy as fuck" was a big exaggeration, but it's certainly nowhere near impossible. 

Marks said:
richardhutnik said:
Marks said:

The EITC sounds pretty good. I'll have to read into that. I would love a program like that to replace the welfare system entirely. 

And I probably did get a bit lucky being hired that quickly, but I really don't know how it can be that hard for people to get jobs. Everywhere I got fast food places and random stores have help wanted signs up. I think the problem really is people just don't want to do shit work like fast food so they'd rather not even apply.

I've applied for all sorts of fast-food work, and haven't gotten hired by anyone since KFC in 2008 (which i had to give up to go to college). McDonald's, Wendy's, no minimum wage job will hire me, because i'm overqualified, and they know as well as i do that i'll drop them for the first real opportunity that comes up. Meanwhile, i don't have experience for real jobs and don't have the money to get unpaid experience (and even free  internships are hard as hell to get).

It isn't pleasant out there, due to employer greed.

Around the Network
sperrico87 said:
richardhutnik said:

Care to come out and speak of your level of tolerance of the number of people you find acceptable dying because you believe those in need shouldn't be helped.  Considering I believe a rights-based ethics system a pile of BS, I won't argue people have a right to anything.  However, I do believe that if people want to have a semblance of a social contract they there are obligations people have to make sure society functions a certain way.  You are free to disagree.  But there is fallout from whatever you do.

I just explained myself very clearly.   You say you don't believe that people have a right to other's money, yet you clearly do if you accept the welfare state.  That is hypocritical. 

There is no acceptable number of deaths.  People will always fall through the cracks, and if your approach of doing more centralized welfare to curb poverty actually worked, then there would be less of it right now.  The opposite is true, though.  There are over 70 federal welfare programs, and there are more people in poverty than ever before.  If you wanted to be truly compassionate to the elderly and the poor, you would be more concerned with how the value of our currency is continually declining, which affects the poor more than any other group because they're the ones on fixed incomes who get hit hardest by the inflation that raises the price of everything we buy.

If you subsidize something, you get more of it.  So the more federal or state welfare is given out, the more people will use it and either stay poor or become poor just to qualify.  The only answer that is moral is to allow churches and other private charities to help those TRULY in need.  Before the government got involved in taxpayer-funded welfare in middle of the last century, that used to be how charity was handled.  Politicians came in and messed it all up.

You need to reread what I wrote.  I said I don't believe in rights-based ethics system.  I didn't say that those in need shouldn't be helped, or if help is offered, that it should be turned down.   I believe in obligation-based ethical systems that put demands on people to do things, not rights-based where people claim to get theirs and fight over it.  Also, I will take advantage of free offerings if i need them, and not feel guilty about it.  I also freely give also, looking to bless others if I can, to meet their needs.

In regards to your subsidize something, the inverse is NOT true.  Because you cut funding to something, doesn't make the issue it address go away.   Poverty doesn't just magically vanish because you don't have welfare.  And there is no guarantee at all anyone will step forward into the gaps.  I certainly don't see any indication you would spend a single cent more to help the poor, if there was no welfare, based on what you write here.  If you were personally THAT serious about making welfare go away, you would start a charity to help the poor, get people working, show a list of regulations you want removed, and then present a case, based on your efforts, why government programs aren't needed, because you have the answer.  Heck, if you wanted to do something very simple, you could work to get me off welfare.  But, you know what?  You very likely have neither the concern, nor the know how to do this.  And that is common for most people.  Want to know why the government is in the business of doing welfare?  Well, it is because public opinion finds poverty a problem, and most people lack both the concern and the ability to help, so it gets pawned off on government.  Something about the Great Depression and prolonged unemployment made people think there was need for greater intervention on part of the government to address issues.

By the way, I will call you, and others who keep naming "churches and private charities" as the answer, and want the government to not do it.  Exactly how much more, if there was no welfare would you give to help those in need?  

Marks said:
richardhutnik said:
Marks said:

Point of my original post is to get people to see things aren't as they had been, or what they think they are.   There have been changes.  Unless you are found disabled, or looking after kids, you have a time table where you MUST keep plugging away.

Actually, taking your situation, you would be a good candidate for them to consider.  You likely don't have a college degree, and are more mature than the teenagers out there, and can be called in any time to work.  So, they are up to plugging you in.  And if you interviewed well, it worked.  Because of your situation, you aren't seeing the big picture of the issues.  Heck, I send an email to a regional manager about career opportunities at Wendy's and they said they wanted quick serve experience.  Once my background comes out, it is look at me funny and seeing I am overqualified.  Well, that was a bunch before even my back surgery, so everyone now breathes a sigh of relief because they now have an excuse why I am not working, and it is because of my back.  People are more interested in explanations than actual help.

Consider that over a million people applied to National Hiring Day at McDonalds, is a sign people will apply to anything.  But, employers don't want everyone applying.  What they want is the right people applying.

richardhutnik said:
sperrico87 said:
richardhutnik said:

I just explained myself very clearly.   You say you don't believe that people have a right to other's money, yet you clearly do if you accept the welfare state.  That is hypocritical. 

There is no acceptable number of deaths.  People will always fall through the cracks, and if your approach of doing more centralized welfare to curb poverty actually worked, then there would be less of it right now.  The opposite is true, though.  There are over 70 federal welfare programs, and there are more people in poverty than ever before.  If you wanted to be truly compassionate to the elderly and the poor, you would be more concerned with how the value of our currency is continually declining, which affects the poor more than any other group because they're the ones on fixed incomes who get hit hardest by the inflation that raises the price of everything we buy.

If you subsidize something, you get more of it.  So the more federal or state welfare is given out, the more people will use it and either stay poor or become poor just to qualify.  The only answer that is moral is to allow churches and other private charities to help those TRULY in need.  Before the government got involved in taxpayer-funded welfare in middle of the last century, that used to be how charity was handled.  Politicians came in and messed it all up.

You need to reread what I wrote.  I said I don't believe in rights-based ethics system.  I didn't say that those in need shouldn't be helped, or if help is offered, that it should be turned down.   I believe in obligation-based ethical systems that put demands on people to do things, not rights-based where people claim to get theirs and fight over it.  Also, I will take advantage of free offerings if i need them, and not feel guilty about it.  I also freely give also, looking to bless others if I can, to meet their needs.

In regards to your subsidize something, the inverse is NOT true.  Because you cut funding to something, doesn't make the issue it address go away.   Poverty doesn't just magically vanish because you don't have welfare.  And there is no guarantee at all anyone will step forward into the gaps.  I certainly don't see any indication you would spend a single cent more to help the poor, if there was no welfare, based on what you write here.  If you were personally THAT serious about making welfare go away, you would start a charity to help the poor, get people working, show a list of regulations you want removed, and then present a case, based on your efforts, why government programs aren't needed, because you have the answer.  Heck, if you wanted to do something very simple, you could work to get me off welfare.  But, you know what?  You very likely have neither the concern, nor the know how to do this.  And that is common for most people.  Want to know why the government is in the business of doing welfare?  Well, it is because public opinion finds poverty a problem, and most people lack both the concern and the ability to help, so it gets pawned off on government.  Something about the Great Depression and prolonged unemployment made people think there was need for greater intervention on part of the government to address issues.

By the way, I will call you, and others who keep naming "churches and private charities" as the answer, and want the government to not do it.  Exactly how much more, if there was no welfare would you give to help those in need?  

If you were able to give freely, then why would you need welfare in the first place?  I thought welfare was for people who were so disadvantaged that they couldn't afford basic food or shelter?  If you're in a position to give anything, then you shouldn't be in a position to require welfare.

I do not care at all about you being on welfare.  I think you're a leech and you should go get a job.  If you're unable to fend for yourself, then go to your family for help.  If that is not possible, then turn to a church or private charity for help.  I shouldn't be taxed so that you can get a free cell phone and not have to pay for food or housing.  That's total bullshit. 

I find it abhorrent that there's people out there who get free housing and don't have to pay for food, and they don't even have to work for a living.  That offends me greatly, and it's not what this country is all about.   When the government gives you something for free, that means they had to take it from someone else to give it to you.  It means working people like myself are heavily taxed and burdened with having to support you, all the while we don't get anything for free and once we've met all of our obligations there's usually not anything left over.  It's not fair to us that there out people out there who don't work hard and get things for free.

Adinnieken said:
sperrico87 said:

You don't have a right, and are not entitled to someone else's money. Private charity exists to help those who are in need, and for the most part people are generous and will help if they can. What is immoral is forcibly taking money from someone against their will and giving it to someone else.

Cell phones are not a right. There's just nothing else to say about that. No one, anywhere, should be given a free cell phone. That money should be used for roads or infrastructure. I work for a living, don't make much, and I have to pay for a cell phone on my own. Why should you get one for free? That offends me.

And you cannot argue that there are a lot of people on the welfare rolls who would lose money if they were to get a real job and start living in the real world. That is why so many people stay on welfare, because if they were to take a job, they would make less and therefore the welfare itself becomes a disincentive to working. That also offends me.

In Michigan, where I live, it used to be that the more children you had while on welfare, the more money you would receive every month. Thank God that law was overturned several years ago, and now there is a cap. There were literally lazy mothers who would deliberately have more kids just to get a bigger check every month, and then they would use the extra money on themselves instead of their children.

In Michigan, food stamps are called the "Bridge card", and until 2010 it was possible for college students to apply for one and receive hundreds of dollars a month for food. Guess what happened? People started taking advantage of it and used the bridge card to buy steak and shrimp, drink mixers, and expensive, high-on-the-hog things, and used their cash to buy alcohol. So it was overturned, because the abuse was so rampant.

Do you see where I'm going here? You've done nothing to convince me that welfare is a good thing. All you've done is proven that many people on welfare feel entitled and take advantage of others who work hard for a living and themselves are near-poor but somehow still manage to not be on welfare. I don't get any welfare, I work hard for a living, and I barely make ends meet. I'd rather live like I am now for the rest of my life than ever become a leech.

And in Michigan where you live, you don't know facts.

The disincentive to work no longer exists since the Welfare Reform Act of 1996 (signed by Bill Clinton).  Participants working and receiving assistance no longer immediately lose all benefits.  So a single mother, having to pay for child care is no longer punished by getting a job.  With this law, assistance was tied to the effort to find employment.

No law was ever over-turned.  In fact, if a woman choses to have a dozen kids, each of those children will receive continued assistance until their 18th birthday, at which point depending on their circumstances, they will now have up to 48 months of assistance within their life time.  Prior to 2011, the change (a tightening or restriction added) was that an adult could not receive assistance for greater than 60 months (enacted in 1996).  The parents were the ones restricted, not children and the incentive is to get parents working.

Federal law dictate the EBT cards, no Michigan law, though Michigan's Food Assistance card is called the Bridge Card.  The expansion of benefits to people who should not have been eligible was the result of Michigan hitting certain economic criteria which was never anticipated, namely Michigan's unemployment being significantly below the national average.  As you mentioned college students became eligible under the expanded rules, but the loophole was more an unforeseen event rather than unregulated spending.  Similar to the woman who still received assistance benefits  despite having won a million dollars in the lottery.  Assistance programs never took into account lottery winnings (even I thought they did), though food assistance is prohibited from being able to be used for lottery purchases.  Clearly it was a matter of a loophole being missed, and those loopholes get closed to ensure assistance goes to those who are in need of it.

Your implication that individuals lived high-on-the-hog is just a wee bit overblown.  Yes, they would have been able to purchase some food items they might otherwise not have been able to on their incomes, however any individual receiving food assistance is in the same position.  The issue was not that under the expanded guidelines that ineligible individuals received benefits, but that whether or not college students, who were actively going to school and had their housing and food needs met should be considered eligible.  The answer is an obvious no to any rational person. 

I don't believe you appreciate the exact nature of the current situation that exists in the job market.  People who have contributed to society, who likely paid tax money so you were able to get a student loan or grant for college, have now found themselves unemployed with no prospects for employment for no cause or fault of their own.  Everything they had worked for, their entire life, was either drained away or completely lost.  They've spent their careers paying into the system, and you want to fucking call them a leech?  You're an ungrateful bastard.

The "Welfare State" doesn't exist, it hasn't existed since 1996 under the Welfare Reform Act.  People have a limited number of months, mandated federally where they can receive certain benefits.  Some of these people are the same people who paid into the system for decades.  So don't sit there like some snot-nosed punk and tell those people that they are leeches.  They didn't put themselves there.  If you are lucky enough to never be unemployed then awesome, but if you're not I hope to God you don't feel entitled to unemployment benefits, health care, food assistance, or housing assistance, because with your smug attitude you don't deserve it.

If I ever found myself unemployed, I would rather die than take a dime of government assistance.  If you've spent you entire career paying into the system, then you receive social security.  I'm not calling social security beneficiaries leeches.  I'm not sure what your angle is here, but you're either an asshole or just looking for a fight.  Or both. 

sperrico87 said:

If I ever found myself unemployed, I would rather die than take a dime of government assistance.  If you've spent you entire career paying into the system, then you receive social security.  I'm not calling social security beneficiaries leeches.  I'm not sure what your angle is here, but you're either an asshole or just looking for a fight.  Or both. 

Let's try to broach this gently. Have you ever witnessed true poverty?