Forums - Politics Discussion - Best/Worst Presidents

Rath said:
An interesting link for this topic -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States

I find it interesting that presidents that are regarded by historians as amongst the very worst top both your lists.

Historians usually attribute anything that happens during a president's tenure as a benefit or bane for them. There is almost no context to their rankings in regards of creating policies that have good or bad effects on the country over a significant period of time.

For example, Hoover is ranked very low for starting the depression, while FDR ranks very high for 'ending' it. Although the reality is that FDR didn't fix it, Bretton Woods did.

If you take a real objective view of policies created by presidents and the long-term view of our country, the list would be much different. Most historians have a very narrow view of presidents.. Read a few biographies. They are inundated with a chosen few.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

I really don't know who i would consider the best presidents. I've been on the internet long enough to know they all did pretty bad stuff. So I'm tempted to look at the lesser of two evils. With that knowledge

Best- Harrison. He didn't do anything to anyone

Worst- Obama, and Jackson. Any president who actively tries to snuff out one of his own civilians is despicable

Two of the most beloved presidents that people love that I think are the worst are John F. Kennedy basically because he was corrupt, had mistresses, and basically escalated involvement in the Vietnam. Reagan spent so much on the military that he pretty much sent us into debt.

I've always read that Harding was the worst. Why is he on some of the lists for the best presidents ever? Did I miss something?

Also I read Grover Cleveland raped a woman.

Intendo21 said:
Two of the most beloved presidents that people love that I think are the worst are John F. Kennedy basically because he was corrupt, had mistresses, and basically escalated involvement in the Vietnam. Reagan spent so much on the military that he pretty much sent us into debt.

I've always read that Harding was the worst. Why is he on some of the lists for the best presidents ever? Did I miss something?

Around the Network

You've never heard of the great depression of 1920 because it probably wasn't ever going to be a long term event. The causes and effects were never the same as the Great Depression or the Great Recession.

It was in fact mostly just a shift in the economy after the second world war.

Much like how the economic recovery now cannot be fully attributed to Obama, the economic recovery then cannot be fully attributed to Harding.

I thought Obama was pretty cool.

Yay!!!

Intendo21 said:

He did marry a woman many years younger than he (he met her because he was her father's law partner, and bought her her first cradle).

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Intendo21 said:

He did marry a woman many years younger than he (he met her because he was her father's law partner, and bought her her first cradle).

Grover Cleveland (allegedly) fathered a child outside of wedlock when he worked at a law firm, in between being the Sheriff and Mayor of Buffalo, NY.  Fully consentual with multiple witnesses (his friends) that knew he had a friends with benefits relationship with the woman.

Somehow, it was construded to rape. Very true the woman he married was much younger than he.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Worst: Ronald Reagan

+ Staunch environmentalist
- Massive deficit spending
- Staggering unemployment rates (10%+)
- One of the greatest sponsors of terrorism ever
- Support for NASA and commercial space exploration proved rhetorical
- Opposed segregation of Church and State
- Escalated the War on Drugs
- Counter productive Immigration Reform and Control Act

Such a mind blowingly, god awful president in almost every way imaginable. I was going to name Bill Clinton as the best but a bit of research has lessened my respect for him.