By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Best/Worst Presidents

ASStronaut said:

Another thread by an American that thinks the world revolves around The USA.

Other countries have Presidents too, you know.

Thread should be called "Best/Worst US presidents"

Big headed, arrogant yanks.

Hahaha, wow, immature, much?

a) I'm a Brit.

b) Who the fuck really cares?

c) If you want to talk about leaders from other countries, be my guest.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
ASStronaut said:

a) I'm a Brit.

Georgia's Saakashvili was pretty stupid. He hinged his political career on making Georgia able to stand up to Russia, and so was more or less forced into that 2008 war that everyone liked to claim was Russian aggression at the time, lest he lose face (because Georgia's military spending as a portion of GDP was highest in the world in the mid 2000s)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
SamuelRSmith said:
ASStronaut said:

a) I'm a Brit.

Georgia's Saakashvili was pretty stupid. He hinged his political career on making Georgia able to stand up to Russia, and so was more or less forced into that 2008 war that everyone liked to claim was Russian aggression at the time, lest he lose face (because Georgia's military spending as a portion of GDP was highest in the world in the mid 2000s)

Higher than N. Korea? That's impressive

Rath said:
Mr Khan said:
SamuelRSmith said:
ASStronaut said:

a) I'm a Brit.

Higher than N. Korea? That's impressive

I think N. Korea's was unlisted in that index, since little is known about their GDP or military budget.

Obama will go down as one of the worst later on. He contributed more debt than all previous presidents combined, launched more invasions than Bush, failed to get the troops out of the middle east (which was a pre-election promise), bailed out big corporations, and much more.

And no, it isn't Bush's fault that Obama had to do all of that. I hate how people blame the previous president for a bad current president. Ron Paul would cut $1 trillion spending in his first year, he wouldn't just continue on spending and blame Obama.

Around the Network
Marks said:
Obama will go down as one of the worst later on. He contributed more debt than all previous presidents combined, launched more invasions than Bush, failed to get the troops out of the middle east (which was a pre-election promise), bailed out big corporations, and much more. 

You've been watching too much Fox News. Only if you tack on Bush's stimulus package does Obama's "debt contribution" go that high.

And who cares how many "invasions" Obama "started"? Bush started an entire god-damned war that involved hundreds of thousands of troops, got thousands of troops killed, and what do we have to show for it? A country that nobody wants? Yay, America.

This partisan bullshit needs to stop. Bush was a lousy President. I don't think Obama is much better but I'm certainly not going to lay Bush's mistakes on him. He has enough to answer for after four years without taking on Dubya's clusterfuck of a Presidency.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
Marks said:

You've been watching too much Fox News. Only if you tack on Bush's stimulus package does Obama's "debt contribution" go that high.

And who cares how many "invasions" Obama "started"? Bush started an entire god-damned war that involved hundreds of thousands of troops, got thousands of troops killed, and what do we have to show for it? A country that nobody wants? Yay, America.

This partisan bullshit needs to stop. Bush was a lousy President. I don't think Obama is much better but I'm certainly not going to lay Bush's mistakes on him. He has enough to answer for after four years without taking on Dubya's clusterfuck of a Presidency.

I never said a good thing about Bush here man. And I also could have thrown on SOPA/PIPA and giving himself the right to imprison Americans without a warrant to Obama's resume. And these are just things I'm remembering off the top of my head, if I dug deeper I could find more goodies. 

And yeah Bush's war in Iraq/Afghanistan was terrible and nothing good came from it, but that doesn't take away from Obama continuing the war well into his presidency, as well as invading Libya and wherever else. What was to stop Obama from keeping his pre-election promise of bringing the troops home? Did Bush somehow still have some power to keep them there as of November 2008? 

bouzane said:
Worst: Ronald Reagan

+ Staunch environmentalist
- Massive deficit spending
- Staggering unemployment rates (10%+)
- One of the greatest sponsors of terrorism ever
- Support for NASA and commercial space exploration proved rhetorical
- Opposed segregation of Church and State
- Escalated the War on Drugs
- Counter productive Immigration Reform and Control Act

Such a mind blowingly, god awful president in almost every way imaginable. I was going to name Bill Clinton as the best but a bit of research has lessened my respect for him.

+ Cut taxes from an astromical 70% down to a still too high but much more reasonable 28%

+ Raised goverment revenues from $244 billion in 1980 to $446 billion in 1989

+ Increased GDP by 36% during his presidency

+ Environmentalism, as you mentioned

+ Ended the cold war, Berlin Wall taken down

- Pointless/expensive war on drugs

- Increased deficit ($994 billion -> $2.9 trillion)

- Added more trade barriers

- Increased poverty (12% -> 15%) and unemployment (7% -> 11%)

I'm torn whether or not he was good. I like the tax cuts and environmentalism but the deficit spending, war on drugs and higher unemployment really hurts. 

Wow, this list is a joke. FDR is debatably the best president ever, not one of the worst. Also, while I hate Bush, there have been many worse presidents than him. Also putting Obama on this list means nothing because current presidents are always on the opposite parties worst president list.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Marks said:

And no, it isn't Bush's fault that Obama had to do all of that. I hate how people blame the previous president for a bad current president. Ron Paul would cut $1 trillion spending in his first year, he wouldn't just continue on spending and blame Obama.

Launched more invasions than Bush? I count 3, and that's only with a broad definition of "invasion:" Intervention in the fight against Al-Shebab in Somalia, sending advisors into East Africa to aid in the capture of Joseph Kony, and intervening to destroy the Libyan regime's war capacity to allow the pro-democracy rebels to triumph. Obama did end significant operations in Iraq (in what we can say pretty objectively was a victory), and has laid a withdrawal plan for Afghanistan (which may or may not be a defeat yet). Libya involved no boots on the ground, a neater operation even than the 1999 bombardment of Yugoslavia.

In Bush's era, we have: Iraq, Afghanistan, the operation to capture Charles Taylor in Liberia, and intervention in Haiti's 2004 revolution.

And the Obama administration was heavily signaling their distaste with SOPA/PIPA. We can't know what would have gone down, but they at least played a role in stalling the legislation from being railroaded through congress. As far as those events transpired, the Obama Administration was friend to all Americans except the media whores.