By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - I thought we were suppose to be working to return some quality back here?

I agree Vgchartz threads jumped the shark a long time ago but the "Official" threads are still a good place to find news even thought they are overloaded like you said.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:

THe problem with creating a thread for a decent discussion is it gets quickly knocked off the front page and then buried by the mass of crap spam threads.  People cannot discuss something if they never see the thread.

That's easy now, innit? Do like many other major forums, and have dedicated threads for certain topics, period. Start over with new ones once they hit a certain post number.

There's no good Christing reason to have eight hundred threads about how much people are looking forward to The Last of Us. Keep that shit in one thread. Stop putting "official threads" on a pedestal. Make them go-to places for this stuff. Lock threads that should be in official threads. If a person does that repeatedly, ban them.

Also get rid of the forum games, that stuff is beneath proper discourse.

Also, start banning people for prick-waving and console aggrandizing. Can we do that?

Yes it will upset some people, but I think we can do without those people

Khuutra said:
Also, start banning people for prick-waving and console aggrandizing. Can we do that?

Yes it will upset some people, but I think we can do without those people

what's prick-waving and console aggrandizing?

If you two are the same person I really am leaving forever

Prick-waving refers to comparisons by which one tries to reduce the value of the things other people like.

Console aggrandizing is referring to stuff like lots of people saying "BELI3VE" and meaning it, or rather the inverse of prick-waving, wherein one reduces the comparative value of things other people like by elevating the status of things you like.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
KylieDog said:

THe problem with creating a thread for a decent discussion is it gets quickly knocked off the front page and then buried by the mass of crap spam threads.  People cannot discuss something if they never see the thread.

That's easy now, innit? Do like many other major forums, and have dedicated threads for certain topics, period. Start over with new ones once they hit a certain post number.

There's no good Christing reason to have eight hundred threads about how much people are looking forward to The Last of Us. Keep that shit in one thread. Stop putting "official threads" on a pedestal. Make them go-to places for this stuff. Lock threads that should be in official threads. If a person does that repeatedly, ban them.

Also get rid of the forum games, that stuff is beneath proper discourse.

Man Im so happy to see you agree. When you bumped this thread I got scared.

I thought 2 things:

1. He is going to yell at me very badly

2. He will agree

Im glad it was the latter

RolStoppable said:
Khuutra said:

Prick-waving refers to comparisons by which one tries to reduce the value of the things other people like.

Console aggrandizing is referring to stuff like lots of people saying "BELI3VE" and meaning it, or rather the inverse of prick-waving, wherein one reduces the comparative value of things other people like by elevating the status of things you like.

Prick-waving has been a bannable offense since forever. Admittedly, offenders have to be obnoxious before it's acted upon.

The other thing isn't taken seriously which usually causes such offenders to resort to prick-waving.

I suppose what you are proposing is (a lot) less tolerance concerning these issues.

There would be a culling, yes.

Khuutra said:

too many big words. My head hurts

spurgeonryan said:
Maybe gaming threads and elimiination threads along with nsfw threads should be in a seperaate forum that does not show up on hot topiics. If you want them, then you go there to get them. But many forums have those types of threads.

Also people are more than welcome to take info out of the official threads and make a thread out of it.

Or we can just get rid of those threads altogether! It gets rid of a deluge of topics which contribute nothing to discussion and serve to bury actual good gaming-centric conversation. Yes! Yes, I like this idea.

Somebody get me an administrator on the phone, I got ideas

Khuutra said:
spurgeonryan said:
Maybe gaming threads and elimiination threads along with nsfw threads should be in a seperaate forum that does not show up on hot topiics. If you want them, then you go there to get them. But many forums have those types of threads.

Also people are more than welcome to take info out of the official threads and make a thread out of it.

Or we can just get rid of those threads altogether! It gets rid of a deluge of topics which contribute nothing to discussion and serve to bury actual good gaming-centric conversation. Yes! Yes, I like this idea.

Somebody get me an administrator on the phone, I got ideas

I think those threads are fun though even if i don't post in them XD