By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Civilization collapses due to electricity not working, which boardgame of mine do you play?

I would grab a few kilos of lemons, a couple of bars of zinc and another couple of copper and build a couple of batteries.

Then I'd peal the cables and attatch them to the bars, and voilá!

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

Settlers of Catan
Civilization (1980 version)
Carcassonne
Age of renaissance
Dune

noname2200 said:

Alright, follow up that I probably should have asked in the first post: which games have you designed?

Edit: I've had sigs disabled since the first day that option came out, so...

A good chunk of my designs are here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/8933/richard-hutnik

Andrespetmonkey said:
Gameboys use batteries, so I'll just raid stores for batteries.

/thread

No it is not /thread, because the context I am giving you here is the scenario from Revolution, the NBC series.  NO electrical devices work, period.  It doesn't matter if they are on the grid or not, something happened to kill elecrticity as an invention.  So your Gameboy is now dead.  However, boardgames and cardgames will still work.  Anything not requiring electricity will work.

okr said:

One of these:
Puerto Rico
Wikinger (Vikings)
Dominion
Agricola
Caylus
Antike
Medina
Cuba
Die Fürsten von Florenz (The Princes of Florence)

Most probably Puerto Rico.

@OP: Which games have you designed?

It is in my sig below, and I also posted a link to it:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/8933/richard-hutnik

In regards to Puerto Rico, arguably my favorite tabletop game, I am currently playtesting a variant of the pie rule applied to role selection in Puerto Rico (and turn order), so that seating order is irrelevant, and players don't start out with corn or indigo.  I have been posting iterations of the game designs in my blog on Boardgame Geek.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
Gameboys use batteries, so I'll just raid stores for batteries.

/thread

No it is not /thread, because the context I am giving you here is the scenario from Revolution, the NBC series.  NO electrical devices work, period.  It doesn't matter if they are on the grid or not, something happened to kill elecrticity as an invention.  So your Gameboy is now dead.  However, boardgames and cardgames will still work.  Anything not requiring electricity will work.

In that case I will play poker and monopoly. 

spurgeonryan said:
I would play WWB because I do not want to be sane if civilization collapsed due to no one cresting self sustaining energy.

Do you want to lose your sanity due to to boredom?  W.W.B will do this.  W.W.B stands for World's Worst Boardgame for a reason.  It represents about everything you can do wrong in a game design.

Any board game: Risk, because it lasts for hours and you never get bored of it.

One of yours: Crossing Stonehenge, because it's the highest rated and I'm not about to research the premises of 70-odd board games.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:

One of yours: Crossing Stonehenge, because it's the highest rated and I'm not about to research the premises of 70-odd board games.

If you like Risk, take a look at Risk Legacy:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/105134/risk-legacy

As far as Crossing Stonehenge, you can't go by the rating.  I shilled the game to a 10 level for giggles on there.  Since no one else rated it, that would be the case.  It is good though.  Linebreakers is similar, but uses chess pieces and a regular chess board.

Designs of note by me though would be:
Simultaneous Captain's Mistress, which was said to make Connect Four "almost playable" by those who don't like Connect Four.

Oneonta Whist, for those who want a trick-taking card game that is playable solitaire, with 2 or more, and even cooperatively.

I also have a number of chess variants I did, which are of note.

richardhutnik said:
Kantor said:

If you like Risk, take a look at Risk Legacy:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/105134/risk-legacy

As far as Crossing Stonehenge, you can't go by the rating.  I shilled the game to a 10 level for giggles on there.  Since no one else rated it, that would be the case.  It is good though.  Linebreakers is similar, but uses chess pieces and a regular chess board.

Designs of note by me though would be:
Simultaneous Captain's Mistress, which was said to make Connect Four "almost playable" by those who don't like Connect Four.

Oneonta Whist, for those who want a trick-taking card game that is playable solitaire, with 2 or more, and even cooperatively.

I also have a number of chess variants I did, which are of note.

Risk Legacy costs more than double what Risk does. £40 is ridiculously expensive for a board game.

Simultaneous Captain's Mistress sounds interesting and has the bonus of being available online, so I'll try that out.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective