By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has the Wii finally hit the point of no return like the Ps2?opinions welcom

daactualfact said:
ps3's future lineup has earned a spot in history. gta4, gow3, ff13, r2 are going to be big exclusives!!! (except gta4 isn't exclusive, it may help ps3 more considering most people are used to gta on playstation consoles and most people don't care about "episodic" content even though it may be nice.)

I dunno man, most were used to playing Final Fantasy on Nintendo consoles but switched to Playstation pretty readily. There's an illusion in your post of brand loyalty which doesn't exist in video games ; ; not in most anyway.

Around the Network

Brand loyalty is an illusion, console loyalty doubly so. A game being a sequel doesn't guarantee it will get the sales of its predecessor (see: FF8, FF9). A console being the follow-up to a successful console doesn't guarantee it will sell astronomically (see: N64, GC). They say casual gamers are fickle, but quite frankly, a whole lot of us dedicated games tend to be more than happy to jump ship when a franchise or system line appears to be sinking. The wise go where the fun is to them personally right now, not where the fun will be at some point down the line (if ever).

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Branko2166 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Branko2166 said:
tabsina said:
Yes, I am unconvinced until they show they can hold their ground beyond 2011, i'll return with my prediction then

Hehe and here I thought you would at least give me a proper response and counter. Oh well. In any case I do not doubt that the wii is anything but a phenomenal success for Nintendo however I simply do not share many people's quick optimism and declaration of victory. Having said that the wii has performed exceptionally thus far although I simply think that people are being a bit hasty.

Yup I mean the NES will collapse and gaming will go back to the PC, after all the NES is only a fad and underpowered, soon people will see the graphics on the PC and abandon the NES

Oh wait wrong decade

Funny I said none of those things. U making those arguments only back up my points. I have tried to give my honest opinion and have given reasons as to why I think the way I do. If you want to make this a futile sarcasmfest then that is your prerogative and I will not parttake. Later

Not trying to be sarcastic, just pointing out how the past repeats, the NES launched against high powered systems a gen ahead and was thought to be a fad, it drew in a lot of new gamers and had a lot of perhipherals, including fitness games, and it followed a two screen handheld, people thought the NES would fade and that people would abandon it in favor of more high powered gaming, instead it was 20 years before Nintendo stopped producing the japanese famicom vesrion (10 for the NA version)

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

nope I don't think the wii has hit the point of no return, and if this generation has something to show, is that anything can happen.

I think the wii has proven itself as the top seller of this generation. The 360 has proved it is going to stagnate and not break 30 million LTD. The ps3 is still in the air a bit, I am certain that it will never pass the wii but it has a good chance to pass the 360. We will know a lot more about the ps3 at the end of this year. Will it continue to track almost identical to the 360 or will it break away and sell more than the 360? I'm betting on the ps3 out tracking the 360 but I'm not sure by how much.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
I think the wii has proven itself as the top seller of this generation. The 360 has proved it is going to stagnate and not break 30 million LTD. The ps3 is still in the air a bit, I am certain that it will never pass the wii but it has a good chance to pass the 360. We will know a lot more about the ps3 at the end of this year. Will it continue to track almost identical to the 360 or will it break away and sell more than the 360? I'm betting on the ps3 out tracking the 360 but I'm not sure by how much.

I think it will depend on what games they can hold on to, if more games break to the Wii and 360 then I think Sony will have a hard time breaking 30 million with the PS3, but if PS3 can retain exclusitivity over some games then it'll probably top out in the mid to upper 30's

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)