By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - good movies with outdated special effects.

I disagree with Jurassic Park and the first Alien... both of them look pretty damn awesome even by todays standards. I mean people where all over for Avatar, while it was "meh" for me. IMO FX didnt evolve a whole lot since the 90s. I know that if you blow up the picture in HD it tends to look fugly, but dont do it. Get yourself a remastered print or a good old SDTV

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:
I disagree with some of the movies already mentioned, especially Jurassic Park. 20 years later and those dinos still look pretty damn good and about as realistic as you're gonna get when juxtaposed with real actors and scenery. I'll take that over the crap that is Avatar and Transformers any day.

Also, movies like T2 and Blade Runner still look good too. Blade Runner just has that classic, timeless feel to it, and the only blemish on T2 nowadays is the cheap-looking computer animated T-1000 when he's 100% liquid metal in some scenes, but everything else still looks great... go watch the scene where Ah-nold slits his arm and rips off his skin revealing part of his robotic skeleton underneath. Still looks realistic.

Now movies whose fx haven't held up... Clash of the Titans is an obvious one with some cringe-worthy stop motion animation. It looks like a monster movie straight out of the 50s or 60s. More recently, Independence Day looks totally dated. I remember when it first came out and people were going nuts over the alien ships destroying the Empire State building. Now it looks like garbage.

Just look at T2's  mirror scene or the scene where they are leaving the building they are gonna blow up (future skynet) and where arnold is "removing" all those cop's knees.  It's a cheap  Arnie puppet both times.