By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Wow, Uncle Duke was WAY ahead of the curve in regarding the "Fat Tax"!

The first thought is that Uncle Duke from Doonsbury is not real.  He is just some made up character.  But check what he said years ago, regarding something called "The Fax Tax".  Yes, you tax obesity, to make it go away:

---

Seemed like madness, right?  Well, then this pops up recently:

http://www.theindychannel.com/health/31079697/detail.html

Report: 'Fat Tax' Could Curb Nation's Obesity Problem

How come the public didn't vote for a made up character like Uncle Duke, when they had a chance?  Seems like the voting for real people isn't going well.  Isn't it time to give thought to a made up person who is ahead of the curve in regards to solutions?

Around the Network

I support a fat tax on morbidly obese people.

sethnintendo said:

You mean people so large, you can justify charging them property tax on their very existence?

damnit.. I should visit the US before Triple Pizza, Triple Burgers and other extremly large fastfood are gone... you just can't get stuff here..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

richardhutnik said:
sethnintendo said:

You mean people so large, you can justify charging them property tax on their very existence?

Nice one!  It is understandable for someone to be a little overweight / out of shape considering the modern day laziness and terrible food system we have in USA.  However, there is absolutely zero excuse to be morbidly obese (which is why I made a send morbidly obese people to fat camp thread awhile back).  These people not only drive up the the cost of health care but they also cause numerous other problems.  Have you ever been stuck behind a bunch of fatties in a supermarket?  I believe one could roll them down the aisles faster than they can mover their stubby legs.  I don't like being slowed down by fatties and I even believe fat people drive slower.

Around the Network

I would really rather not have the government telling me what to eat at all, let alone selectively taxing to try and coax me into eating what they want me to eat.

If somebody wants to be overweight, and they are not causing anybody any harm, and they're happy with who they are, who are you to tell them that they're wrong?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

sethnintendo said:
richardhutnik said:
sethnintendo said:

Nice one!  It is understandable for someone to be a little overweight / out of shape considering the modern day laziness and terrible food system we have in USA.  However, there is absolutely zero excuse to be morbidly obese (which is why I made a send morbidly obese people to fat camp thread awhile back).  These people not only drive up the the cost of health care but they also cause numerous other problems.  Have you ever been stuck behind a bunch of fatties in a supermarket?  I believe one could roll them down the aisles faster than they can mover their stubby legs.  I don't like being slowed down by fatties and I even believe fat people drive slower.

Totally agree.

What is classed as morbid though? I am overweight, im 6'3 tall and 16 stone so could do with losing 2 stone, (used to be a cross country runner, a knee injury kinda gave me the excuse to be a couch potatoe lol) but I am not sure a tax would deter me reaching for that can of soda

Chunkysatsuma said:
What is classed as morbid though? I am overweight, im 6'3 tall and 16 stone so could do with losing 2 stone, (used to be a cross country runner, a knee injury kinda gave me the excuse to be a couch potatoe lol) but I am not sure a tax would deter me reaching for that can of soda

Thats not even oversized. I know smaller people who weight more and are not even fat.

this is oversized.

People are are voting for a made up person. He's called Mitt Romney.