By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Democrats Quiet Down Down on War as Conditions in Iraq Improve

makingmusic476 said:
Rath said:
Do you have any graphs of either of the following?

US debt.
US federal budget.

Both would show some interesting figures for the recent years.

While I agree that we should evenetually get out of debt (or at least close to it), you do realize that this nation has been in debt since it's inception?  Hamiltonian economics was founded on the idea of a "sinking fund" in which the government always spends more than it makes.

Of course, I still think we should reduce the national debt significantly, only so that 1/3rd of our yearly budget isn't thrown towards interest on what we owe.

Hamilton never faced the prospect of Social secuirty, Medicare and Medicaid costs ballooning out of control, not to mention dropping consumption, smaller tax base, reduced liquidity in the market, so on and so on in addition to his debt

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Ickalanda said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Ickalanda said:
The point of the topic is that the Democrats have stopped talking about the war indicating the no longer want people to notice the fact that things aren't going in the Democrats favor anymore (because they want us to lose since a Republican started it) not that the number of deaths in Iraq have gone down.

Nah, its beacuse the economy is a bigger issue, thanks to Bush and the GOP

The U.S. Economy looks fine to me. The recession caused by 9/11 and not Bush is no longer an issue and we are back on an upward trend.

(sorry about all the images 56kers if any of you still exist?)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/DJIA_historical_graph.svg

I like how all your graphs stop over two years ago and don't show any issues with the debt and the rising wave of entitlements and the fac tthat the stock market is going to plunge when the elderly start cashing out

I didn't make those graphs they are from Wikipedia and that is the furthest date they go to.

PC Gamer

'The United States budget and Debt is just an unavoidable result of the Government actually doing something.'

Doing something stupid, like spending far too much money. I understand that the US has always run a deficit economy and a military economy which works but currently it is being pushed too far and I believe that if something isn't done to curtail some of the spending then the economy is simply going to collapse.

Ickalanda said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Ickalanda said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Ickalanda said:
The point of the topic is that the Democrats have stopped talking about the war indicating the no longer want people to notice the fact that things aren't going in the Democrats favor anymore (because they want us to lose since a Republican started it) not that the number of deaths in Iraq have gone down.

Nah, its beacuse the economy is a bigger issue, thanks to Bush and the GOP

The U.S. Economy looks fine to me. The recession caused by 9/11 and not Bush is no longer an issue and we are back on an upward trend.

(sorry about all the images 56kers if any of you still exist?)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/DJIA_historical_graph.svg

I like how all your graphs stop over two years ago and don't show any issues with the debt and the rising wave of entitlements and the fac tthat the stock market is going to plunge when the elderly start cashing out

I didn't make those graphs they are from Wikipedia and that is the furthest date they go to.

Yeah then get better graphs, because these end years ago so they are out of date, huge thngs have changed since and the deadline for the boomer retirement is closer

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Awesome to see less deaths.....still doesnt make the deaths that have happened and deaths that continue to happen any better. Bottom line is, regardless of who gave the wrong intel on WMD's, regardless of Saddam being gone right now, this country has payed billions of dollars and given thousands of young men and women to create an equally unstable country and for halliburton to pocket millions.

Saddam was not a threat to us, it has been spun as "helping spred freedom to those who desire it" but if we really cared about helping humanity there are millions of children in Africa who would LOVE a few billion dollars to survive. There are tribes in Darfur who would LOVE some help form their government. There are million of women and humans in Africa who would love some basic meds or nets so they dont get diseases on a daily basis.......our government never went to Iraq qith the intent to help or free anyone as their main priority, or to "fight em over there instead of here"

We still have schools that need to hold bake sales to make budgets but we dont mind spending billions of tax dollars so Dick can pocket some funds from his Halliburton buddies.

Sure, the graphs are cute, but to ignore the last 5 years because of two months of down deaths on the battlefield is grossly sadistic, short sighted and sad. "the dems" and the "liberals" arent focusing on Iraq because the majority of the population already consider it a clusterfuck. You can only beat a dead horse for so long....theres a reason why democrats are showing up in greater numbers to the primaries and why inies are voting more democratic.......The American public who view this war logically without party lines, and some who even DO view it from behind party lines, have seen the war was a mistake and have accepted that as near reality, this is why we dont hear about it.....

its not about its failure anymore, its already failed......there are more urgent needs to this country than settling that clusterfuck that we initiated, thus we dont hear about it as much. The average citizen has become jaded with Washington and this war, people want to hear about the economy, healthcare and the getting our troops home and solving this problem.........

The politcal landscape has changed its voice to "Change" thats why we dont hear about the past failures as much anymore, its a politcal move to focus on the future not the past and people are gravitating towards that....expect not to hear as much about it, and it aint because its stable or we are "winning" either.

Sorry for the long rant =)

Around the Network

I'm not convinced about Iraq suddenly getting better. We've been getting the same old story for years now, but it's always proven to be false, and it's not like statistics are incredibly hard to spin in your own favour.

Even if it was getting better, isn't ignoring it and concentrating on the matters they're doing better with exactly what the Democrats should be doing? That's how politics works, and it could easily be argued that the piling domestic issues far outweigh the occupation of some third rate third world country.

The Media isn't not reporting on the war doing better because they're liberal. They arn't reporting on it because it's BORING.

Except they are reporting on it. I've seen a number of stories about how the surge is working. Which makes sense, you've got more people watching each others backs there is less chance of people getting killed.

Either way, violence is just at 2006 levels. Which is good, but only incomparison to the diasaster 2007 was. They could use some even more troops for what it's worth. Also some compromise. Once the Suni's help get rid of Al Queda they're poised to go up against the Shi'ite government (or do i have that backwords.)

No one should support wars. They are bad. It's as simple as that. Wars solve absolutely nothing. They just make matters worse!

It's like a cancer going into remission. Unfortunately the end state will be pulling the plug.

The war is being ignored because both parties are choosing presidential candidates, once this process is over expect expect it to become a hot issue again.