By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Democrats Quiet Down Down on War as Conditions in Iraq Improve

It's nice that there's some good news to go with a destabilized Pakistan, an increasingly belligerent Iran, and a Turkey that's invading the most stable region of Iraq.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

PDF - I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say you weren't implying that War leading to genocide solves social problems, but, that's the only time I can think of that a war solved social problems.

There was absolutely no more slavery or racist tension after the Civil war for example. Saddam Hussein didn't completely segregate Iraqi's after he warred with them. India and Pakistan have absolutely no social issues either.

So, can you explain this better or can I put you on the list of people who say really really really really really stupid things? I would put the number of really I feel like putting on here, but that would be spamming.

Economic problems? Well, I suppose Imperialist wars and arms manufacturers have profited nicely. Ever wonder why governments are in debt?

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

PDF said:
@Fuzzmosis - For social problems look at the civil war like you said and the American Revolutionary War. They both solved social problems. Oppression and slavery.(which wasnt even the purpose of the civil war just a bonus).
You can also look at WW2 which saved the Jews. It not only did that but it brang the whole world especialy the US out of debt.
Most wars are simply over territory and overall economic reasons. That is why Britain did not let the US simply just leave or any country for the same reason.

Putting me on the list of stupid things? I think not, I think you can add yourself for thinking such a thing. Give me a war that was not because social or economical reason.

Iraq war- wether you believe we went for a good reason or not.
Good - Saddam was a horrible man killing thousands and we needed to save them.(social)
Bad - We went for oil(economic)

What if you think we went in because we thought we would have it under control of a government friendly to us where we could keep a large contigent of troops to send off to handle other problems anywhere else in the middle east since Turkey is at best a flakey ally.

Other things like say Iran getting nukes and being generally crazy.

I think that's why we invaded Iraq.  So it would be a foothold to handle other middle eastern issues and Iraq was about the only country in the area that has no friends.

Would of been better off if we'd of had even more troops there from the beggining.  Either way, we're going to have to hold it together until a solution is figured out, otherwise we're just going to pull out and the civil war death toll will make the current Iraq death toll look like a joke in comparison.

I'm all about the old classic saying "You break it, you bought it." 

I have yet to hear any solid proof that the media is "liberal biased." The media if anything, is pro corporation, NOT pro liberal.. And by the way what the hell do you call Fox news?

Metallicube said:
I have yet to hear any solid proof that the media is "liberal biased." The media if anything, is pro corporation, NOT pro liberal.. And by the way what the hell do you call Fox news?

Fair and balanced.

Duh.

*tongue planted firmly in cheek* 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Ahh, a Republican lunatic. Good job being a pround patriot! You do America proud, soldier! lol.