By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much will the Wii franchise sell?

This thread is one year old. Well, most of it. 

Scroll down to see the original post from a year (or so) ago.

Heyhey! I thought it would be interesting to check on our predictions. I... Was a complete idiot!

Also, I decided to update the list of best selling franchises. The rules: Have your name in the title.

I updated the list. the (+) is change since sometime in March last year.

1. Mario - 351M (+ 49M)

2. Pokemon - 169M (+ 17M)

3. Wii Series 84.6M (+53M)

3. Grand Theft Auto - 77M (+15.5M)

4. Final Fantasy - 61M (+ 4M)

5. The Sims - 56M (0.5M)

6. Sonic 51M (+ 12M)

7. Gran Turismo - 50.6M (+4M)

8. The legend of Zelda - 49.6M (minus 6M... Mess up by me)

9. Tetris - 46,5M (no change)

10. Donkey Kong - 45.1M (+0.1M)

11. Dragon quest 39.7M (minus 3M, adjusted down)

12. Madden 43.1M (6M)

13. Fifa 33.3M (+9M)

(Wii Series: 31.3M) as of 13th February 2008

14. Pro evo soccer - 31M (+5.5M)

15. Brain Training - 30.9M (+9M)

16. Call of Duty - 29.8M (+ 12M)

17. Crash Bandicoot 29,3M (no change)

18. Resident evil - 29,1M (+ 2M)

19. Kirby 25,3M (+ 3M)

20. Tekken 24,4M (no change)

21. Halo 24.1M (+ 3M)

22. Nintendogs 22M (+ 5.3M)

23. Tomb Raider - 21,8M (no change)

24. Metal Gear 20.2M (+ 4M)

25. Spyro 17,4M (no change)

26. Warcraft 16,1M (numbers are outdated)

And I'd be happy if you corrected my mistakes.

And uhm... Yeah, feel free to make predictions if you want to.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

When the Wii launches in Vatican City and Antarctica, I expect about 500 billion.

i think it will continue to sell well even as more appear like wii music and i think it will end up higher then 100 mil total sold

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

MontanaHatchet said:
When the Wii launches in Vatican City and Antarctica, I expect about 500 billion.

If the other Wii games announced sell as well as the ones already out then his prediction is not entirely unrealistic. If ya figure 80 miillion life time sales for the Wii, that gives close to that many in Wii sports sales. Wii play will probably help pick-up a lot of the slack since it is essentially a $10 game. I figure if Wii fit, Wii chess, and Wii music can sell a combined 10-15 million it would be right in that ballpark. Not guranteed, but not nearly as far fetched as a lot of Wii fanboy predictions.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Umm there's a number of reasons why I can't see the Wii achieving PS2 sales , one being that it's hardware is already outdated in comparison to the PS2 ( considering people would consider PS3/360 hardware outdated further supports this.) the casual market wants the latest and most trendy thing , the Wii can't be the "latest craze" for 8 years.

I predict total lifetime sales of 45-60 Million.

Around the Network
Oyvoyvoyv said:

How much will the Wii franchise sell? The series of Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wii Fit is currently the 26th best selling franchise ever. Having sold 26,35 million that is. How far will it go by 2008, 2009 and through the whole lifetime? Will the series beat 70 million and become one of the top 5 best selling franchises ever? Or will it not sell as good, and be unable to beat 50M and break into the top 10?

My predictions are as following:

Wii sports sold about 14,6M last year. Wii Play did 7,8M and Wii fit did 750K. The total numbers are 17.5, 8.7 and 1M.

Wii sports will keep up the pace, and sell 18M through 08. Wii play will also keep selling, since it is a pack in with Wii-mote, and everybody needs a Wiimote. It will not sell as much as last year though and end up at 6M. Wii fit will sell a lot, 10, or at least 9M. So after 08, it will be about 59M sold, being the 7th best selling franchise ever. Beating The Legend of Zelda.

It will drop off later, but for lifetime sales, I predict 120M, being the 3rd best selling franchise ever.

What are the 25 best franchises?

Million said:
Umm there's a number of reasons why I can't see the Wii achieving PS2 sales , one being that it's hardware is already outdated in comparison to the PS2 ( considering people would consider PS3/360 hardware outdated further supports this.) the casual market wants the latest and most trendy thing , the Wii can't be the "latest craze" for 8 years.

the thing is wii is selling faster then ps2 so it wont need to sell for 8 years to achieve ps2 level

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Million said:

PS2 was considered outdated. iPod was considered lacking in features and outdated. DS was considered outdated. Check out some charts and remove those biased thoughts in your head while you're here.

Oh yeah, PS3/360 are long outdated before their releases, compared to PC.

100 million atleast. if a wiisports 2 comes out, then much more.

Galaki said:
Million said:

PS2 was considered outdated. iPod was considered lacking in features and outdated. DS was considered outdated. Check out some charts and remove those biased thoughts in your head while you're here.

Oh yeah, PS3/360 are long outdated before their releases, compared to PC.

The PS2 was outdated?

The PS2 slim or the PS2 that could launch missiles?