By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Sony ever return to prominence?

Well...can they?

Yes 167 50.76%

No 161 48.94%

Total:328

there are just way too many great competitions in every department against Sony Except for Gaming and Films. Tough but goodluck to them.

Around the Network
maverick40 said:
Turkish said:
Ofcourse. They will dominate with the PS4, make their TV division profitable again and become the Top 5 smartphone and tablet sellers in the next 10 years.

hahahahaha!!! What are you basing this off???

Sony's past glories, Nintendo's fall and ressurection and probability theory. What is so funny? Couldnt u just write lol?

sales2099 said:
You guys wont like it but Sony has to cater to the mass market. That also means to stop trying to be the most powerful handheld and console and make middle-power products.

Not weak but not the most high spec thing out there, so it can retail for a affordable price. Basically take their business model back to the PS1 and PS2 days.

That is what I was thinking too. Sony still has the name, people associate it with quality and durability. But its so fvckin expensive. Their TVs, laptops, how good they may be, are always a couple 100bucks more expensive then the competition. People won't pay for that anymore unless you're Apple.

While Sony still has the brand awareness and the logo, they should opt for standard quality products for the time being.

I assume many people would go for a Bravia TV or Vaio pcs instead of a Samsung on a comparable price.

When they get their act together, they could gradually go back to their old business model, selling premium products at a premium price.  Samsung is in that transition now(albeit still having cheaper goods). They were known as a brand for cheap products. Now people are willing to pay a bigger price for their Galaxy smartphones and 8000 series LED tvs costing more then 4000 bucks.

Fantasizing is no substitute for strategizing. I am reading a lot of commentary with over generalizations about what Sony needs to do. Rather then any concrete suggestions. I read comments like they need to change how they are marketing their products, but there is no follow up to these statements. Change doesn't equal out to fixing a given problem. Let me put it out there would any of you actually put forth a marketing plan that Sony should adhere to, and I would love to see specifics.

Tell us how much they should spend on marketing, and where they should focus their marketing. Tell us what their message should be, and how you would demonstrate that idea. For one post can any of you actually go to the effort to put forth what you would do if you were the marketing director at Sony. I think it is kind of arrogant to say they are horrible, but to not have any good ideas of your own. Well that isn't exactly fighting fair now is it.

Since you all know so much about advertising watching this console generation fold out. Then put your money where your mouth is, and give us the details of your super strategy. For how you would do a much better job.

Why not? It will take them years to turn around all the brand recognition they have lost, but I don't see any reason why they couldn't.

Now, how likely, thats another question.

Around the Network
Turkish said:
sales2099 said:
You guys wont like it but Sony has to cater to the mass market. That also means to stop trying to be the most powerful handheld and console and make middle-power products.

Not weak but not the most high spec thing out there, so it can retail for a affordable price. Basically take their business model back to the PS1 and PS2 days.

That is what I was thinking too. Sony still has the name, people associate it with quality and durability. But its so fvckin expensive. Their TVs, laptops, how good they may be, are always a couple 100bucks more expensive then the competition. People won't pay for that anymore unless you're Apple.

While Sony still has the brand awareness and the logo, they should opt for standard quality products for the time being.

I assume many people would go for a Bravia TV or Vaio pcs instead of a Samsung on a comparable price.

When they get their act together, they could gradually go back to their old business model, selling premium products at a premium price.  Samsung is in that transition now(albeit still having cheaper goods). They were known as a brand for cheap products. Now people are willing to pay a bigger price for their Galaxy smartphones and 8000 series LED tvs costing more then 4000 bucks.

There is no going back to the "old business model". Sony is going to have to accept lower prices on their electronics across the board and not charging more just because of the Sony name. No one cares anymore.

If Samsung isn't there to undercut them some other Chinese manufacturer will.

Dodece said:
Fantasizing is no substitute for strategizing. I am reading a lot of commentary with over generalizations about what Sony needs to do. Rather then any concrete suggestions. I read comments like they need to change how they are marketing their products, but there is no follow up to these statements. Change doesn't equal out to fixing a given problem. Let me put it out there would any of you actually put forth a marketing plan that Sony should adhere to, and I would love to see specifics.

Tell us how much they should spend on marketing, and where they should focus their marketing. Tell us what their message should be, and how you would demonstrate that idea. For one post can any of you actually go to the effort to put forth what you would do if you were the marketing director at Sony. I think it is kind of arrogant to say they are horrible, but to not have any good ideas of your own. Well that isn't exactly fighting fair now is it.

Since you all know so much about advertising watching this console generation fold out. Then put your money where your mouth is, and give us the details of your super strategy. For how you would do a much better job.

Look at Nintendo and Microsofts marketing this gen and you can definitely see whats wrong with Sony. Nintendos marketing with the Wii came every ten seconds on tv, television shows and more. The whole purpose was to bring casual gaming to every home for the family and the commercials made no mistake in doing that. Microsoft with Halo, Kinect and Gears of war was pretty much the same thing...even Microsoft paid for COD marketing that was superior to Uncharteds. Microsoft gives money every year to COD commercials. How many times have you seen Sony do that even though their COD community is almost as big? Barely anything.  As Michael Pachter said, Microsofts marketing and synonymous nature with COD in the publics mind makes it a defacto exclusive even though it isn't. Microsoft knows how to get into the mind of the American public. I've seen Kinect being showcased on Good morning America, The tonight show, the news and so much more. It isn't just TV spots, it's beyond that. They shut down time square just to launch the original Xbox, Xbox 360 and Kinect. Microsoft knows they don't have to do much with games as long as they keep the marketing quality extremely high, because for American corporations good press is the only thing that matters and negatives must be downplayed. Ever see Sony downplay media hatred? Even as secretive of a company as they and Microsoft are they take it and don't downplay it.

Turkish said:
maverick40 said:
Turkish said:
Ofcourse. They will dominate with the PS4, make their TV division profitable again and become the Top 5 smartphone and tablet sellers in the next 10 years.

hahahahaha!!! What are you basing this off???

Sony's past glories, Nintendo's fall and ressurection and probability theory. What is so funny? Couldnt u just write lol?

Nintendo never really fell..ever. Yes the gamecube and the N64 were not a runaway success but Nintendo made a profit off each console sold so they were happy. Sony's faults are glaringly obvious and they can remedy them. The good thing is, Sony computer entertainment ain't one of those faults.  

Never say never!

But I think that the Vita and perhaps the PS4 will be the last that gamers will hear about from Sony, after that Sony is fading away.

Soundwave said:
Turkish said:
sales2099 said:

There is no going back to the "old business model". Sony is going to have to accept lower prices on their electronics across the board and not charging more just because of the Sony name. No one cares anymore.

If Samsung isn't there to undercut them some other Chinese manufacturer will.

Thats what I said, they could go back to the old business model later on, when they have enough marketshare. What Samsung doesn, having cheaper and expensive products.