By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS2 is doomed (2000)

Avinash_Tyagi said:

It didn't help PS2 that much, PS2 was already the winner, it would have kept on selling without it, all it did was create a temporary spike

and 15 % means its only a title for the hardcore mostly, it won't make the PS3 gain on the Wii 

when it launched it had a much higher attach rate as more series came out the lower the attach rate became plus the sequel hurt some of its sales

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
if they cared about GT they would have played a PS2, most people didn't
HAVE YOU EVER SEEN GT sales?

That game ALONE made 15% of PS2 userbase.
ONE game 15%.

GT5 will be better in ALL aspects.

PS2 had over 40 gamess series. All these games made PS2 userbase.
All sequels of these games will make PS3 userbase

Nope, that's less than 15%, that means more than 85% didn't buy it, those 15% are the same guys who buy things like  MGS, FF, DMC, etc. so basically you've got maybe 20% of the PS2's fanbase buying a PS3, if you consider some overlap, and that is at most.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

brute said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

It didn't help PS2 that much, PS2 was already the winner, it would have kept on selling without it, all it did was create a temporary spike

and 15 % means its only a title for the hardcore mostly, it won't make the PS3 gain on the Wii 

when it launched it had a much higher attach rate as more series came out the lower the attach rate became plus the sequel hurt some of its sales

It had a higher attach rate, but it went lowers, why, because its a hardcore title, and those smae people bought other hardcore games, so basically proves my point, those games will only sell to a select group, most PS2 owners don't care about it, and most everydayd people don't care about it, they won't be buying the PS3

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
CrazzyMan said:

ONE game 15%.

Nope, that's less than 15%, that means more than 85% didn't buy it, those 15% are the same guys who buy things like  MGS, FF, DMC, etc. so basically you've got maybe 20% of the PS2's fanbase buying a PS3, if you consider some overlap, and that is at most.

okay then what game had a higher percentage then that ,that made the console sell?

Avinash_Tyagi said:
brute said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

It had a higher attach rate, but it went lowers, why, because its a hardcore title, and those smae people bought other hardcore games, so basically proves my point, those games will only sell to a select group, most PS2 owners don't care about it, and most everydayd people don't care about it, they won't be buying the PS3

okay then what ps2 game sold to the casuals which game had a higher attach rate that didnt fall down because a certain group were only buying it?

Around the Network
brute said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
CrazzyMan said:

ONE game 15%.

okay then what game had a higher percentage then that ,that made the console sell?

Wasn't one game, that is what you are making the mistke, it isn't one game that sells a system, largest library wins, always, its the tons of shovelware and casual games that win

___O_o______ said:

Pretend this is two years from now. The Wii price has dropped considerably (let's say 180) and the ps3 has dropped to (250) . When they see a bunch of games that they recognize on the ps3 that were on the ps2, would they choose a PS3 over Wii? After all, it is just a 70 dollar difference. When they see the same old franchises from 20 years ago as games on the Wii, will they choose a Wii over a ps3?

So old franchises will help the PS3 but not the wii?

My websites

http://catprog.org

Online games that I play:

http://www.animecubed.com/billy/?Catprog

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Wasn't one game, that is what you are making the mistke, it isn't one game that sells a system, largest library wins, always, its the tons of shovelware and casual games that win

yes and thats why i sadi as more games came out its attach rate fell though you cannot call that a non system seller

catprog said:
___O_o______ said:

Pretend this is two years from now. The Wii price has dropped considerably (let's say 180) and the ps3 has dropped to (250) . When they see a bunch of games that they recognize on the ps3 that were on the ps2, would they choose a PS3 over Wii? After all, it is just a 70 dollar difference. When they see the same old franchises from 20 years ago as games on the Wii, will they choose a Wii over a ps3?

So old franchises will help the PS3 but not the wii?

hes saying that ps2's franchises will help sell ps3 more then wii though i think wii will steal alot of them

those 15% are the same guys who buy things like MGS, FF, DMC, etc. so basically you've got maybe 20% of the PS2's fanbase buying a PS3, if you consider some overlap, and that is at most.

I wonder, how will you PROVE that? =)))))

So, all those over 40 games won`t be released on PS3, or WHAT is your POINT? They will be released on Wii? =))
I see already Star ocean on wii, also Tekken on wii, also Kingdom hearts on wii. =)))

OK. How many of these games:
Virtua Fighter
Soul calibur
Wild arms
Front Mission
Z.O.E
Resident Evil
Silent Hill
Dino Crysis
Devil May cry
Kingdom Hearts
Medal Of Honor
Ridge Racer
Tales of ...
Disgaea
Valkyrie profile
Persona
Grand Theft Auto
Burnout
Crash Bandicoot
Onimusha
Ace Combat
Ratchet and Clank
Xenosaga
Guitar Hero
Metal slug
Armored Core
Star ocean
Spyro
Breath of fire
Chrono ...
Grandia

will be released on wii?
won`t be released on PS3?
also you have facts, that only 20 mln. of gamers care about THESE games and 100 mln. DON`T care? =) Can you prove that? =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far