By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The reason I believe Sony's exclusives can't sell as well as they should this gen.

Jay520 said:
RolStoppable said:
BenVTrigger said:
Sony is known for its characters?

Yes, namely for Kratos and the guy from God of War whose name escapes me at the moment.

Reported for trolling

You can't be serious.

How on earth was I trolling when I simply asked if Sony is known for its characters.  They've created exactly 1 iconic character this entire generation and that is Nathan Drake.

I'm not knocking their games cause they are awesome, but if there is one thing sony is known for, characters are not it.  Franchises as a whole yes but not the characters in them.

Around the Network

--Phone kept ringing while I was trying to post. Had to post or lose everything.

With Resistance 2, I got probaly ten other games that same day. Too much to play at once. I'm sure it was a good/decent game but it just didn't grab me. I may seem anti-Sony at times but I'm really not. I'll heap endless praise on God of War 2, 3, and the PSP games. I love Heavy Rain and anybody that misses out on PS3 exclusive Valkyria Chronicles is really losing out. I'm not gonna blindly praise them, though. I sank a ton of hours into inFamous. It just wasn't that good. I really wanted to like Killzone 3. It was a great effort but the story didn't pull me in at all.

Even series I like like Halo, Final Fantasy, Metal Gears, etc. Don't get a free ride. If an entry sucks, I'm not gonna waste my timme on it. ODST, FF 13-2, MGS PW--if I'm not having fun, I have too many other options. "Sony made it" just isn't good enough for me.

Top tier (imo): God of War, Gran Turismo, Heavy Rain, Uncharted, LBP
Second tier (imo): MAG, inFamous, Warhawk, Killzone, Resistance
Below Average (imo): Twisted Metal, whatever I can't remember

I haven't played them all but I KNOW I play more Sony titles than your average Sony fan. The top tier is successful and deservedly so. They are amazingly made titles. The rest. Meh. In my opinion, of course.

d21lewis said:
--Phone kept ringing while I was trying to post. Had to post or lose everything.

With Resistance 2, I got probaly ten other games that same day. Too much to play at once. I'm sure it was a good/decent game but it just didn't grab me. I may seem anti-Sony at times but I'm really not. I'll heap endless praise on God of War 2, 3, and the PSP games. I love Heavy Rain and anybody that misses out on PS3 exclusive Valkyria Chronicles is really losing out. I'm not gonna blindly praise them, though. I sank a ton of hours into inFamous. It just wasn't that good. I really wanted to like Killzone 3. It was a great effort but the story didn't pull me in at all.

Even series I like like Halo, Final Fantasy, Metal Gears, etc. Don't get a free ride. If an entry sucks, I'm not gonna waste my timme on it. ODST, FF 13-2, MGS PW--if I'm not having fun, I have too many other options. "Sony made it" just isn't good enough for me.

Top tier (imo): God of War, Gran Turismo, Heavy Rain, Uncharted, LBP
Second tier (imo): MAG, inFamous, Warhawk, Killzone, Resistance
Below Average (imo): Twisted Metal, whatever I can't remember

I haven't played them all but I KNOW I play more Sony titles than your average Sony fan. The top tier is successful and deservedly so. They are amazingly made titles. The rest. Meh. In my opinion, of course.

Agreed. This is pretty much the idea I made earlier.

Perhaps a good way to make Sony games sell more is try to make them appeal to women.

About 40% of the Nintendo games/consoles are sold to women.

Unfortunately this could lend to modifications in Sony franchises that core Sony fans may not like. For example, less violence on God of War games.

Speaking of Sony characters, don't Spyro and Crash count, o wait, they're owned by Activision. 

Around the Network
DarkTemplar said:
Perhaps a good way to make Sony games sell more is try to make them appeal to women.

About 40% of the Nintendo games/consoles are sold to women.

Unfortunately this could lend to modifications in Sony franchises that core Sony fans may not like. For example, less violence on God of War games.

or a new ip without much violence

BenVTrigger said:
Jay520 said:
RolStoppable said:
BenVTrigger said:

Yes, namely for Kratos and the guy from God of War whose name escapes me at the moment.

Reported for trolling

You can't be serious.

How on earth was I trolling when I simply asked if Sony is known for its characters.  They've created exactly 1 iconic character this entire generation and that is Nathan Drake.

I'm not knocking their games cause they are awesome, but if there is one thing sony is known for, characters are not it.  Franchises as a whole yes but not the characters in them.

Sackboy says hi.
(I would even say Cole McGrath from inFamous is iconic)

What iconic characters has Nintendo created this genertation? I can't think of ANY.

VGKing said:
BenVTrigger said:
Jay520 said:
RolStoppable said:
BenVTrigger said:

Reported for trolling

You can't be serious.

Sackboy says hi.

What iconic characters has Nintendo created this genertation? I can't think of ANY.

wow that made me chuckle because neither can I, in fact name a iconic character Nintendo has created in the past decade?

pezus said:

Could ask the same about MS. Have they created some iconic character this generation? I can't remember anyone. Don't know if Marcus should count, he seems too generic to be called iconic.

that and MS didn't create him

pezus said:
logic56 said:
VGKing said:
BenVTrigger said:
Jay520 said:
RolStoppable said:
BenVTrigger said:

Reported for trolling

You can't be serious.

Sackboy says hi.

wow that made me chuckle because neither can I, in fact name a iconic character Nintendo has created in the past decade?

hundreds of pokemon?

literally though lol, hundreds, I remember when I could name them all (original 150 FTW!!)

edit:

would these guys count because on wii outside of them and Mario Nintendo franchises haven't sold any better than Sony's

though I don't even think Nintendo fans want to associate with them