By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's PS All-Stars, discuss the similarities and differences, and if needed express your displeasure (No trolling allowed)

Tagged games:

So, is it a Brawl clone?

Yes 260 41.73%

No 42 6.74%

Kind of 43 6.90%

Who cares, it'll be fun either was 229 36.76%

I'm disgusted 47 7.54%

Total:621

I can see Cloud making it in the roster.

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
Pokemonbrawlvg said:
The thing that makes me mad about this is that it's made by a first party studio from Sony.

Superbot isn't first party (yet).

True. It is a second party dedicated to creating this game for Sony.  It will be first party, specially if it sells well during the holiday.

Was Ehrgeiz (that "Final Fantasy fighter" on the PS1) 4 player? I have it in my closet but I don't feel like digging it out. Cloud was in that. It's from 1998, I think.

pezus said:

I could do a very similar list but I'll try to counter this:

Pokemon>GT driver

Uncharted>Zelda

Mario>Everything

Older generations know who Parappa the rapper and Sweet tooth are

God of War is very popular in America

And I haven't even really started yet. Sackboy! Cole from inFamous! Nathan Hale! Helghast and Radec!  Jak and Daxter! Ratchet and Clank! Sly Cooper! Wander and the Colossi! 3rd party () !

I just wish Sony still had Crash and Spyro :(

The bolded are probably the most popular out of what you listed. If you took a survey of what people knew about Game Characters Nintendo would always win out, no matter what.

This game's characters doesn't have to be quite as popular as Nintendo's characters. Because we're not expecting this game to be nearly as successful as Super Smash Bros.

Super Smash Bros. sells up to 10 million. I'd expect this game to do much less than that. So having less popular characters won't be a big problem.

Around the Network
Wagram said:
I can see Cloud making it in the roster.

I'd rather see Sephiroth appear as the final boss :P

happydolphin said:
DaHuuuuuudge said:
happydolphin said:
DaHuuuuuudge said:
As a massive (it's one of my favorite games) fan of the super smash bros franchise, I am happy to have another game in the similar vein. Nothing more nothing less. I think it's silly (read:stupid) that someone would be upset or even angry at something like this. It's a video game people, this is pretty trivial (not saying it isn't fun of course!) stuff. The fact that some people have developed such a sense of loyalty to an openly-traded company with a fiduciary responsibility to make money that they'll get upset when a game similar (read:clone) to one of theirs is released is nothing short of depressing.

Sometime ago I saw a quote that is relevant: "Love the games not the companies; They love your money, not you"

This is so true. The only reason why it's touchy in the world of video games is that the medium strives to be an art form.

Of course in a capitalistic world rip-offs are allowed and welcome (like in the Pepse vs Coke scenario), but in the world of art it's less acceptable.

I think that's why the fan in us is disgusted, but the gamer in us is thrilled, hence why some thought I was schizophrenic

I'm really glad we talked about this because there are reasons why we're all right and wrong at the same time, and that's why forums are there to share. And you're right, companies don't love us, but some care about what we want because that drives their business, others are more draconian. So I'm glad Sony listened to their fans in making PABR, it's the right direction for the industry. I'm also glad the game will look so much like smash because I love that game. But ultimately, I'm hoping for more uniqueness and less idea stealing from these companies as the industry matures, otherwise it's not a good sign for the art-form in general I find.

A dualistic view, but I'm honestly torn. Ultimately I'm buying this game no doubt, it looks awesome, but inside of me part of me is not happy about the situation. I'll get over it, but I and others do need to express this feeling and talk about it

I wholly disagree with those statements. Nobody claims that Pissarro copied Monet for painting impressionist paintings, nobody starts arguing when the second rapper ever used a beat in one of his songs because another rapper did. The simple reason why people are upset is because they have developed an affinity towards a particular company (In this case, they are Nintendo or Sony)

Idea stealing is good for the industry! It puts fresh minds on ideas that have been wringed out by the same 5 people for years. It allows people to put their own touch (and while I will admit, there isn't much of a touch that I can see as of now) on an idea, which allows for the good aspects to be transferred and the better ones added. Without copying of ideas, we'd be playing first person shooters without the modern control scheme, or without online multiplayer. Can you imagine if people got upset when the second company to release a 3D game announced it? We might only have 1 company making 3D games! That's madness!

I think the heart of the issue as Sal said is the degree of idea-taking. It's relativity. You mention taking parts of a rif, I'm talking taking the whole rif and simply changing a few words.

Of course inspiration is acceptable, it's when you're litterally re-skinning the game that it makes it mildly revolting.

But I was mostly agreeing with your previous post, I just wanted to add that copying is not seen as a good thing when it comes to art, but when it comes to consumerism it is, hence why I'm divided in the debate. I'm on both sides because I'm looking at it from both viewpoints.

There are two viewpoints: mine, and the wrong one.

If you honestly think that copying is a negative aspect with art then you obviously need to take an art history class.

Also the fact that you suggest that Sony's copying Nintendo is "mildly revolting" is nothing short of ludicrous. These are video games people! Not some esoteric art that should be viewed in the highest regard. They are for fun! If you're upset about this, then you're not quite doing it right.

And no, you're not mostly agreeing with me, my only point is that nobody should have any reason to feel offended or alienated about this video game. Anyone who says there is a reason is disagreeing with me.

its Sony so what did you expect?

besides good games get copied

i don't care honestly

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

pezus said:
NintendoPie said:
pezus said:

I could do a very similar list but I'll try to counter this:

Pokemon>GT driver

Uncharted>Zelda

Mario>Everything

Older generations know who Parappa the rapper and Sweet tooth are

God of War is very popular in America

And I haven't even really started yet. Sackboy! Cole from inFamous! Nathan Hale! Helghast and Radec!  Jak and Daxter! Ratchet and Clank! Sly Cooper! Wander and the Colossi! 3rd party () !

I just wish Sony still had Crash and Spyro :(

The bolded are probably the most popular out of what you listed. If you took a survey of what people knew about Game Characters Nintendo would always win out, no matter what.

No, like has been already said only Mario and a few pokémon characters are bigger than the biggest Sony ones. But the rest is about equal I'd say. I know that when I first played SSBM I didn't recognize half of the characters, but now that I've played the game a lot I know the characters much better. The same will happen with the more unknown Sony characters. This is only for the good.

Yet ninty characters have more of a notorious presence outside just the games media, parodies, merchandise, songs, comics, mangas,cartoons,etc. Their exposure to those that havent even played the games is notorious and the reference to them when videogames are brought in to other media is pretty common. In melee 2/3 of roster were pretty mainstream(coming from mario, pokemon or zelda franchise),  people either already heard of them or could relate them to something they knew (pichu,jigglypuff, dr mario, young link) without even playing the game first. Sony to have the same appeal as smb needs that more than half of its roster to be really dam recognizable to make pople focus their attention in the game and actually make them interested in knowing the other characters, they cant have more obscure niche characters than popular franchises, neither can they have a lot of 3rd party or it will defeat the purpose of the game. This game will need a clever marketing form sony's part.

I don't see that kind of fanservice for many Playstation characters. Like Deoz said, most Nintendo characters go far from just video games.

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3