By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo earnings net loss 43 Billion yen, 3DS still sold at loss (until approx August '12)

Since the Japanese company is followed very little by analyst we have to go by consensus that Nintendo set out in January which is for a full year loss (ending in March) of 60 billion yen (738 million USD).  Given that Microsoft blamed its losses (in its EDD) due to a deteriorating gaming market and Sony seeing no benefit from a weaker yen in the quarter, I find it hard to believe that Nintendo was able to maintain its Q1 numbers, so I expect a bigger loss.

For future guidence, the one analyst I did see who follows the stock has losses for this quarter and for the Jul-Sep quarters, so depending on how Nintendo lays out its game release schedule will dictate future losses.

updating...data coming from nintendo's press release : http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/120426e.pdf

Overall Revenue only stands at 7.9 Billion Dollars, Microsoft Gaming Division is bigger than Nintendo's

Cash on hand decreased by 3 trillion Yen this past year

For hardware revenue, handhelds had twice the revenue of consoles (234 Billion Yen vs 116 Billion Yen)

Geo breakdown for last year; 

22.9 Japan

38.8 Americas

33.6 Europe

4.7 Other

Life to date totals (as of March 31)

Wii 95.85 million

DS 151.52 million

3DS 17.13 million

Forcast for this year

3DS 18.50 Million

DS 2.5 million

Wii 10.50 million (Most likely including Wii U)

Software wise

70 Million units of Wii software (Most likely including Wii U)

73 Million units of 3DS software

and 37 Million of regular DS software

Net income/losses

Between now and Sep 2012 net loss of 20 Billion Yen

For the full year March 2013, 20 Billion Yen of income

The 3DS is still being sold at a loss and will be for another 6 months

Around the Network

Yet stocks stayed flat, how does that happen? (honest question)

Could you post a source in OP, Tw?

happydolphin said:
Yet stocks stayed flat, how does that happen? (honest question)

Could you post a source in OP, Tw?

I dont know what you mean by flat, its 40% below where it was at this time last year.  I tend to be my own source when it comes to financial stuff since I do my own homework, any reputable financial site will have their statement.

This is from bloomberg:

http://news.businessweek.com/article.asp?documentKey=1377-aB7bGhPfiCtA-74GEO74HNJBM45HQ9AOJJO0FHJ

How many hours since now?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Oh, I just meant flat over the week. Meaning the announce didn't affect the stock, which I find strange.

Or, was there no official announcement for this? Is this just a preview of their next Financial briefing? If so, when is that happening?

@source. The article dates back to Jan 26th. Does that make sense.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:

Oh, I just meant flat over the week. Meaning the announce didn't affect the stock, which I find strange.

Or, was there no official announcement for this? Is this just a preview of their next Financial briefing? If so, when is that happening?

@source. The article dates back to Jan 26th. Does that make sense.

Usually large companies have earnings previews (like microsoft) so you can tell what they are going to do before their quarter is released, Nintendo does not and with the formal announcement hours away, wanted to make aware what to expect.

@Pav I want to say 7 hours?

its currently 12:14 am tokyo time Thursday morning, I could be wrong though

Gee, thank the Lord I removed my stock from Nintendo... I'll be injecting my stock back in in about 2 weeks, when they'll skyrocket again pre-e3 and another bounce upon 2D Mario.

Good news this is indeed for me. For Nintendo, not so good, but they'll recover everything in the next year. After that it's all gonna be profits.

The release is usually around 5 am (GMT-0; UK time).

The release is usually arround 8 pm (GMT-0; UK time).

Thanks for the heads up, can you update this thread after the briefing too plz?

Honestly I'm more interested in the investor's meeting that takes place afterwards, last time we got some awesome tidbits of information about Wii U's online (separate accounts instead of system wide FC's), a 2D Mario coming for 3DS (Now New Super Mario Bros. 2), and NFC implementation in the Wii U padlet.

Hopefully we'll get some more Wii U information. ^_^