By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should Sony ditch the Playstation Vita?

Sony should just modify the Vita and integrate it into a cell phone. I think that's probably what's going to happen next.

As a standalone game-centric platform ... it has little to no chance.

The "newness" and wow factor of its "console like" graphics is even going to be gone soon when PS4/720 come out next year, so Sony basically wasting several months here is not helping their cause.

Around the Network

I don't want the PSVita become 2 times more expensive just to become a smartphone and replace it every year with a new revision.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

small44 said:

I don't want the PSVita become 2 times more expensive just to become a smartphone and replace it every year with a new revision.

I'm sure Sony will keep the game-only model around, though I suspect in the West it'll become a niche-only item. 

One of the problems Sony has is 18-32+ year old males do not want to carry around a game-only "brick" handheld device just for video games. 

Good luck getting a guy in that age range to pull one of those out in an area where say other women are present. 

I don't think Sony could compete with Apple and samsung smartphones.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

small44 said:

I don't think Sony could compete with Apple and samsung smartphones.

Apple, no, but Samsung? 

If it's two Android smartphones sitting side by side and the Sony one lets you play a lot of Vita/PSP games and the Samsung one doesn't ... I think at least Sony's phone would sit out as some what unique in a sea of Android devices that all look the same/do the same thing otherwise. 

Worth a shot at this point, really it's not like Sony has anything left to lose.  

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
logic56 said:
RolStoppable said:

Meh, I have an ace up my sleeve: The entire PSP library.

lol GTA did pretty well, had not been for piracy I think others would have done pretty well also

plus PSP couldn't do half the things the Vita can do (and because you probably won't get it, that statement has more to with the 3DS than it does the Vita)

GTA took a hit from 20m on home consoles down to 6m on a handheld. You better be prepared that other typical home console series take a similar percentage hit.

Piracy hurting PSP software sales is a myth that should finally get busted by the PSV. The option to pirate games doesn't make gamers steal everything. What hurt PSP software sales was that those who do pay for their games had not much interest in buying PSP games.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss is an omen for things to come. The writing is on the wall. See GTA; if Uncharted can move 6m on the PS3, then 2m on the PSV is pretty much the ceiling for the series (unless Sony heavily bundles the game).

1 game does 2+ million bad, 20 games that do 2+ million great

and it's never the one game on playstation platforms (which should be bloody obvious by now)

there's no denying that what the Vita has currently is quality but it's not enoungh and it's not enough becase the console just came out.... like 2 months ago, FFS

IMO Vita has a problem with its target audience: "the cool kids". They want to have the best tech, nothing kiddy, cool looking piece of hardware. The problem is that the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad are the hardware that those kids rather have to be "cool". To succeed Vita needs to refocus its audience, and of course in doing so, it must lower the price.

"¿Por qué justo a mí tenía que tocarme ser yo?"

@plezbo Incharted is divided up to allow 5-10 minute plays. Autosave along with pausing to exit into the OS, allow for shorter periods. The chapters themselves are much shorter than you'd see on the PS3. Uncharted GA has sold to over 25% of Vita owners, that is the substantial figure. The 3DS already has a years worth of hardware sales to provide a user base to consume software at a larger number, but 5 million is around that same percentage saturation.

There are plenty of short level titles that can take advantage of the free time people have. Super stardust delta, escape plan, TOM blitz, modnation, wipeout, star drone, touch my katamari, sumioni, even dynasty warriors levels are short. In fact I can't even think of a game that isn't easily bite sized. Uncharted would be the best example for a game that isn't, but as I've said functions well enough to qualify.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

I just tried the Vita for the first time
Tried FIFA, graphics were PS3 level 100%, great.
Analogs are so fawking tiny!!! Didnt like them at all.
The iterface is a mess.
Bad handling.
Not very good design.
Overall i would say its pretty meh, BUT and its a big one, the power and the screen are awesome, so theres at least a reason to buy it.

Vita needs big 3rd party IPs, period. And a pricecut soon.