By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Sony buys EMI Music Publishing now the #1 music publisher in the world

Wow, nice addition to Music Entertainment, Sony.
OT: Not enough doom in this thread.

Around the Network

EMI was bleeding money for some time now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/feb/04/emi-music-announces-massive-loss

So I see the potential in being the biggest player in the music industry (who doesn't?!). But is this the right timing for Sony? They are losing money, they buy another company that is losing money to be the biggest player in a decreasing industry.

It is definitely a pretty risky move.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

logic56 said:

Shouldn't you post a picture of Clive Davis and not some East Asian guy?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Kaz working on rescuing Sony, I see.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

I'm almost sure that this bid was made before Kaz, the EU commission is really slow with their competition approvals.

Around the Network
pezus said:
Uhhhhhhhh, I guess Sony is still in good form?

No, but they are taking wise moves to recoup.

Kynes said:

I'm almost sure that this bid was made before Kaz, the EU commission is really slow with their competition approvals.

I get that impression from the article as well

seems good news for Sony, I'm sure in the future this will be a very profitable acquisition 

Interesting move. Certainly current trends indicate that content will be king with a lot of competition for delivery device.

I wonder if Sony will take the right approach here or overly focus on using the content to try and shift hardware?

IMHO they need to strike the right balance between making the content available through non Sony devices and maximising return on the content while showing a customer value add to getting the content through their device to boost interest in Sony hardware for delivery.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

pezus said:
Jumpin said:
logic56 said:

Shouldn't you post a picture of Clive Davis and not some East Asian guy?

"some East Asian guy". Are you kidding me?

that's why I didn't bother to respond

kowenicki said:
Sony slowly but surely turning into a software business.... probably the best option for them. Its what Kaz know best too so it will suit him.

becasue what's hardware without software