By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you plan to introduce your children to videogames?

No, I introduce them to outdoor play.

Around the Network
bonkers555 said:

Well, hopefully the outdoor play is automatic. 

At least giving them handhelds should be mandatory :D

Seriously though, it will be entirely up to them. Wanna play Sports? Fine. Wanna kick some alien ass? Go ahead!

Well, I don't have kids, but in a year or two I'll force my baby sister to play games!

d21lewis said:
bonkers555 said:

You would think so. Father of three here and I don't allow them to play video games by them self. I want all my kids to play games with friends or each other to help with their social skills. That's why the Wii and Kinect is so popular in my household.

Around the Network
forest-spirit said:
Definitely. I plan on raising them with Video Games, Japanese Cartoons and Heavy Metal. They'll turn out great for sure!

Adopt me, it isn't too late!

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."

Yes, of course. It'd be ridiculous to not have games play some part of their lives. Plus it'd be a nice activity we could share. Playing multiplayer, jumping around in Mario, or just watching them think their way out of situations whilst giving subtle hints (Portal would be great for this me thinks). I also plan on using FIFA as a way to get them into football, and Age of Empires to teach them history... it worked for me!

bonkers555 said:
d21lewis said:
bonkers555 said:

You would think so. Father of three here and I don't allow them to play video games by them self. I want all my kids to play games with friends or each other to help with their social skills. That's why the Wii and Kinect is so popular in my household.

I'm 13, on VGC most of the time when home, and have great social skills and many friends. I would say, more than anything, it is up to the person if they would have great or bad social skills, not up to a teacher/parent.

NintendoPie said:
bonkers555 said:
d21lewis said:
bonkers555 said:

I'm 13, on VGC most of the time when home, and have great social skills and many friends. I would say, more than anything, it is up to the person if they would have great or bad social skills, not up to a teacher/parent.

I think you're both missing something. Developing social skills when amongst a circle of similar aged friends is usually quite easy for kids. Games are a nice way to augment that, sure, but social skills/behaviour amongst older generations, in formal settings and with certain groups/cultures is something that needs to be taught to kids; arguably more important than teaching social skills amongst a group of peers. They'll normally pick that up without any input needed.

Yeah sure
I would like to have both...A Girl and a Boy...A TRUE girl gamer(not those "OMG I HAVE A 360 and call of duty and know so much about gaming <333)  would be awesome especially if she turns out smart and beautiful like her mom.
She could make millions with Live Streaming later on xD

He/she will start with NES/SNES games like Super Mario Bros,Zelda,Secret of Mana,Terranigma,Metroid,Final Fantasy and so on...Of course i will help him/her as much as i can.
After that he/she will be introduced to the PS1 and N64 with all the J-RPGs,Zelda,SM64 and great classics like Crash Bandicoot(need to find the love for Naughty Dog)..MOving on with the PS2 and those tons of great games it had(from J-RPGs to Action Adventures and everything),few Gamecube games like Zelda again  and some Dreamcast games.
Then PS3 with Uncharted,God of War and all the other great stuff.NiNoKuni maybe even earlier while he/she is still on the SNES and so on.Its an awesome game that would perfectly fit to the greatness of old times.
Handhelds and so on of course will be played too - Probably on PC Emulators but only after i introduced her to the original systems.Its a lot easier for us to help and oversee on a big PC screen.
Oh yeah PC Adventures and a ton of PC Games(Diablo is probably great for multiplayer with kids) will be played a lot too.

And depends in what gen we ware we will move on like that.Shooters are allowed as long as he/she plays good ones like Killzone,Battlefield(on PC) and a few others.CoD or Halo isn't allowed...Till then he/she will probably already have a good taste in gaming and genres so we don't have to fear for that anymore.
The most important for me is that they get a good taste in RPGs and other genres...And i will overlook that.I will do the same what my parents did.Help them a lot,even learn a language or 2 with them(well i already know English and Japanese now and i can teach them)
They should really get a good taste in gaming and become TRUE GAMERs